Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Chosen One

Cottage Ceiling Series - part 5


You and I have been patient this month: me while I was working on the ceiling, you when you were waiting for news about my ceiling.


Vous et moi avons été très patients ces derniers temps: moi en travaillant sur mon plafond, vous en attendant de ses nouvelles.

So I think it's time for a little reveal. Please keep in mind this is by no mean a "full reveal", it's only a "ceiling reveal", but I'm pretty pleased with it.


Je pense qu'il est donc temps de vous montrer ce à quoi cela ressemble maintenant. Ce n'est pas un "après" magnifique de toute la maison, juste du plafond... Mais, moi, je trouve cela déjà satisfaisant.

Juste in case you had forgotten, this is how it looked when I bought the cottage.


Ci-dessus un petit souvenir du plafond tel qu'il était quand j'ai acheté mon cottage.

Taking picture for today's post was a fun exercise, since it was pretty hard to take picture where you could see the ceiling. The rooms in a fisherman's cottage are really tiny, so I can never really see the whole room with my cheap (not wide angle) camera. I may or may not have taken pictures that were completely wonky just because I was in the weirdest positions to try to get the ceiling to fit in the picture!


Prendre des photos pour cet article a été un exercice de style amusant. Obtenir des photos où l'on voit le plafond quand on a un tout petit appareil photo pas grand angle pour deux sous, c'est se mettre dans des positions pas possibles pour essayer d'avoir un cliché correct. Les voisins pensent définitivement que je suis folle depuis qu'ils m'ont surprise accroupie sur le rebord de ma fenêtre.


Let's get serious now! I chose white for the ceiling for two main reasons: 
a) the light. An old cottage has small windows as you can see on the pictures and I knew a white ceiling would reflect the light rather than "eat" it.
b) I like how coastal it looks.


Soyons un peu sérieux, maintenant. J'ai donc choisi un plafond blanc pour deux raisons:
1) la lumière. Une vieille maison en pierre a de petites fenêtres et je pensais qu'un plafond blanc renverrait la lumière au lieu de l'absorber.
2) J'aime le côté "bord de mer" que cela donne immédiatement à la maison.


I tried several Farrow & Ball samples of white on my beams. The Chosen One was "All White". It was the best at refelecting the light and it didn't get too dark behind the beams. When you have a beamed ceiling, there are shadows on your ceiling and you should consider that when choosing your paint. 


J'ai essayé plusieurs échantillons de blanc de chez Farrow & Ball sur mes poutres et je me suis décidée pour "All White" car c'était le blanc le plus pur, qui reflétait bien la lumière et qui ne jaunissait pas dans les coins où l'ombre des poutres se projette.


I wanted a solvent free paint as I had already spent two months with the skin peeling from my hands because of all the chemicals involved in the renovation. So Farrow & Ball was a choice of sense and sensibility.

Je souhaitais une peinture sans solvant, après deux mois de travaux à regarder mes mains peler sous l'effet des produits chimiques divers employés lors d'une rénovation. Du coup, Farrow & Ball et moi, c'était à la fois un mariage d'amour et un mariage de raison.


Last, but not least, I chose Farrow & Ball's Modern Emulsion rather than their signature Estate Emulsion, because I wanted it to be washable. I live in the countryside, we get flies in the summer and I didn't want to have a white and tiny black polka dot ceiling after one summer!


Enfin, j'ai choisi la version lavable de la peinture Farrow & Ball qui est un tout petit peu plus brillante  (7% au lieu de 2%) que leur célèbre peinture mate. Mais je vis à la campagne avec des mouches qui osent entrer l'été et je ne me voyais pas bien avec un plafond blanc à petits pois noirs!

As you can see on the pictures, there's still a lot to do... So more posts to come!

Comme vous pouvez le voir sur les photos, il reste encore beaucoup à faire... Et donc beaucoup d'article à venir!

See you soon,

A bientôt,

I'm sharing my ceiling, as well as peeks at my blue transferware, with:
The DedicatedHouse       DIY Show Off              
                                   
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home     The Dedicated House                     
       Join the fun here each Wednesday!               
    
                          



46 comments:

  1. Well, it is perfect and beautiful. I love it! It works so beautifully with your blue and white and woods.

    Yes, there is something about those cracks and that is what has bothered me the most about ours. My spouse thinks we should keep going because it may look a lot different with furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's already so beautiful.. love the ceiling and your dining room. especially your gorgeous chandelier!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Magali! J'adore ce type de plafond. Super. Et toute la decoration est perfect, trés, trés jolie.
    Congratulations!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect. It catches the light so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. je viendrais bien prendre un petit thé dans cette jolie maison...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La porte est ouverte, maintenant, il ne faut pas avoir peur de la poussière et des cartons, tous dissimulés dans une autre pièce le temps des photos!

      Delete
    2. Love your ceilings! The white is perfect. The ceiling adds so much character to the room. Hope your enjoying your summer.

      Delete
  6. Bien sûr, j'aime tes poutres blanches qui captent bien la lumière. J'aime bien aussi ton vieux lustre relooké et le super joli avec la boule de porcelaine blanche et rose... mais ce que j'adore vraiment c'est ton service bleu ! Il est vraiment trop beau au milieu de tout ce blanc !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be so satisfying to experience this progress!!! It looks so fresh and light - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Et bien ça valait le coup d'attendre , ton plafond est magnifique & il aurait été dommage de ne pas enlever ce qui le cachait . Ce blanc est somptueux , il ne pourra y avoir dessous que de très belles choses .
    BIses . Babette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci. C'est amusant depuis que j'ai enlevé le faux plafond, les gens trouvent que les pièces sont plus grandes, alors qu'en fait on a perdu 15 cm sur chaque mur à cause de l'isolation... Comme quoi la hauteur sous plafond joue beaucoup dans le ressenti des pièces.

      Delete
  9. It looks great, I would so love to have white beams, and all your furniture and transferware looks really pretty too !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing difference! It's definitely so much more in keeping with your cottage. Does your room feel bigger now that your ceiling is higher?
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody who has visited says the room is so much bigger than before. I don't want to burst their bubbles, so I nod, but actually the room is smaller because I had insulation added on the walls (about 15 cm), but it feels bigger beacause it's more "airy" if that makes sense.

      Delete
  11. Love it LOVE it!! So exciting to see these changes happening!!

    andi

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! It looks so fabulous, hard work that has paid off greatly! Well done! Can't wait to see the rest. Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Next on the list is painting the windows... NOt as exctiting, but necessary!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your lovely comment on my weblog. It's nice to meet you :-) I can't tell you how much I love your white ceiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. With the blue dishes it is so striking.
    I spent time in the French countryside in May. So glad I missed fly season. Can you tell us why it is that y'all don't have window and door screens to keep the flies out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screens are only traditional in Southern France where flies are really an issue. In Brittany where I live the weather is a lot cooler, so we don't have that many flies... But one inside is enough to make a mess with the white ceiling and the white chandeliers! Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  15. Looks just perfect!!! What a difference. You definitely picked the right 'white'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it's wonderful. I love it. It adds so much to your little cottage! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a difference, the rooms proportions were made for that ceiling height! I love the little beaded detailing on the beams, were they original? All white is a good choice. I trust you to pick some lovely wall colors soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magali, your ceiling is gorgeous. I had to look back and see all your previous posts and progress. I have not been visiting my blogging friends as much as I wish this summer. Shame on me, look what I've missed. Your cottage is so lovely. It was fun to stop by for a visit and catch up. Have a lovely week. Love,Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the planks and beams on your ceiling! It's lovely! It looks like it really opened up the space! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magaly, I LOVE IT! Looks beautiful! So glad you went with this choice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything you have done so far, amazing and such a lovely cottage. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks fantastic! Stoppin gby from dedicated house!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your blog! And I love even more that I can use your blog to remember my French, too.

    Following!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Magali - my daughter gets married and look at what I miss lol !!!
    It's even so much more beautiful than I expected - what you've done to that cottage
    is just amazing - but this may be my favorite part yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gorgeous job ;)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. superbe! j'aurais peut-être choisi un blanc un peu moins opaque,dans un style un peu plus atelier... mais tu as bien travaillé, c'est très beau!! md

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Magali, your cottage is looking absolutely beautiful. I have really enjoyed catching up with your posts, Ann - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your cottage, and that fresh white ceiling! Perfect choice!! Happy to have you link up to Blissful Whites Wednesday!!
    Have a wonderful day, Magali!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your ceiling is just gorgeous! Aren't whites tricky? I really appreciate your attention to detail--I'm the same way. You've done so much work to the cottage, but it is truly a lovely reward! Thank you for linking up with Sunday View. (I will be putting a button on the site that you could add to future blog parties. Seeing my picture reminded me! :-)

    a bientot!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cottage is coming along so beautifully! Love your lighting, everything so bright and cheerful! Love your blue & white too!
    Always a pleasure having you share at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! So full of charm! You've done an amazing job, Magali! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Magali, I love the white and your antiques are beautiful against it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Magali - it looks wonderful!!! Love the coastal look - so comforting somehow - beautifully done! Happy for you! I am delighted that you shared with A Return to Loveliness,

    ReplyDelete
  33. There may still be a lot to do but it's already looking fantastic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it! Wow what a difference from the way it looked when you bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. love your ceiling and your cottage. Enjoying all your old posts...

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.