Friday, June 28, 2013

The Fifth Wall

Cottage Ceiling Series - part 4


I've always loved decoration. I loved decorating my bedroom as a teenager. I think my parents were very surprised when I managed to make a home of a very small Parisian studio when I was a student. My mother thought I was crazy when I bought a 1960's flat as my first home, but then she loved what I did with it. 

Grey beams, via weheartit.com
J'ai toujours adoré la décoration. Je me rappelle avoir réfléchi chaque détail de ma chambre de jeune fille. J'avais étonné mes parents en aménageant mon studio d'étudiante. Et ma mère a tout simplement cru que j'étais folle quand j'ai acheté mon premier appartement tout droit sorti des années 60, depuis la moquette marron jusqu'à la cuisine en formica, mais elle a adoré ce que j'en avais ensuite fait.

Wood planks and off-white beams via One Find At A Time
But weirdly enough I never thought about doing anything with my ceiling, except for a fresh coat of white paint.
Aqua planks and white beams via DecorPad (but my favourite ceiling of this kind is the one from Butterfly and Bungalow)
Mais bizarrement, jusqu'à présent mes plafonds ne m'avaient pas beaucoup préoccupée. Je leur faisais juste passer une nouvelle couche de blanc.

Pink planks and white beams via Benita-Loca
It took having beams in my cottage and reading too many of your blogs for me to question white.

Red beams on ocre ceiling, very "Provence" via Benita-Loca
Bizarrement, il a fallu que j'ai un plafond à poutres et que je commence à lire plus de blogs que de raison pour que je remette en question le plafond blanc.

Via My Design Chic
I love coloured ceiling if the room is mostly white. But still, white ceilings have such a beach cottage feel... My head is spinning with options.

Via Paula Grace Design

J'adore les plafonds de couleur, surtout les bleus dans une pièce blanche. Mais les plafonds blancs donnent tout de suite un air "bord de mer", non? Trop de possibilités et une seule maison à décorer... Arghhh!
And do you know the worst part, even if I go with white... I have to choose the right white, as there are different shades of whites. I'm sure if you read that blog you already know that, but when I speak with my colleagues they look at me like I'm crazy (which I am, but not because of white paints).

Et vous savez le pire? Même si je choisis blanc, il va falloir trouver le blanc parfait. Je suis sure que si vous lisez ce blog, vous êtes le genre de personne qui comprend la richesse des teintes de blanc, mais mes collègues de boulot me prennent pour une folle quand j'avoue hésiter sur des blancs!

What are you saying? You can't stand so many gorgeous pictures? Let me help you there. Here is my very own ceiling after sanding.

Via my dining-room
Please admire my chandelier! And maybe you can see the priming had just began on the left and suddenly I thought I needed a picture for the blog!

Et voilà où en est mon plafond à moi, poncé, mais pas encore peint! C'est un peu moins glamour que les photos précédentes. Pourtant ce vert placo, c'est très flatteur!

So any favourite ceiling? Any advice on the perfect white?

Bon alors, vous choisissez quel plafond?

Last part of this series in a few days.

La dernière partie de cette série dans quelques jours.

A bientôt,

See you soon,



16 comments:

  1. You have the cutest cottage around. I hope you select the right white! It's so much work and your arms will still hurt.

    I really like the gray example. I have gray paint left over... hmmm

    No advice. I'm happy with my walls, but we did three sections of the ceiling using the same white ...I don't think I like it... It began with a white primer over which I used a semigloss; it did not result in a sheen. In fact, the ceiling doesn't look all that better than the primer. Your whitest example is what it looks most like, which looks pretty in the photo., but alas I think it is too cold for my tastes. But I love that photo just before your ceiling, it is sort of a white, but warmer, though I don't think it would work with the white I put on the walls. My spouse doesn't want to repaint walls, so if I change my mind, I'm on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everything is going to be perfect. I like the red room with the pretty walls. But that's me because I love love love RED. That is my very fav color. But I also love other colors.
    I can hardly wait to see your cottage finished.
    Have a terrific weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might like Annie Sloan's paints, some lovely off white/crunchy cream shades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'est vrai qu'il ne faudrait pas râter la couleur de ce beau plafond à la française , il est magnifique .
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=plafond+%C3%A0+la+fran%C3%A7aise&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QVnNUYrPFOb80QX1qIDAAQ&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1672&bih=923

    https://www.google.fr/search?q=plafond+%C3%A0+l'ancienne&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=flnNUc6THYia0AWy2IG4BA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1672&bih=923

    Bon courage . Bises . Babette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci pour les liens qui comportent des images magnifiques. Je vais essayer de ne pas me planter dans mon choix... Et merci pour le courage, j'en ai besoin!

      Delete
  5. Simply White by Benjamin Moore ... if you go white, this is the only way to go :)

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would do a vintage (antique white) not bright white - but that's just me! I think it is going to be darling. I like the idea of an antique looking door from repurposed wood on that
    tiny bathroom by your stairwell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think doing it all white is perfect for your cottage due to the normal ceiling height. And I'd do Ben Moore's Simply White as someone suggested. Clean and neutral! It's gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my perfect white. Soft, neutral, warm. And throws the light into the room...
    http://ovolin.jetshop.se/varmvit-p-635-c-195.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the white and blue ceilings are pretty, but I also think that if the ceiling is low, then white will still keep the room bright. I love the look of the white in the last phot0, and I'd definitely go matt paint.
    Whatever you chose, I'm sure it'll look great, you just can't go wrong with beams, in my mind !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is wonderful that you have planked ceilings and get to do something special with your home. They add such charater to a home! Looking forward to seeing them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plunked ceilings are great and I'm sure in white it will give you the idea of taller...I have low ceilings in my home and I keep it white and yes, it works perfect! Can't wait to see what you finally choose. Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm sorry to visit late but I had to leave for the funeral of a beloved aunt. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being in some of these French and English homes with the gorgeous ceilings definitely makes me want to put in beams when we actually own a home one day. You have a great collection of inspiration - I'm sure yours will be gorgeous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'adore le blanc et rose provencal bizzarement... et aussi celui avec le petit lit en métal tout simple... bisousss (mylene)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magali, I have a beadboard ceiling in my living room and now in my downstairs basement. Love, love them! The color we used downstairs is such a soft white. It is called 'cotton balls' by Benjamin Moore. The name alone made me fall in love. Can't wait to see yours done!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a colour called Swiss Coffee from Behr Paint. It's darker than white, but so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.