Saturday, November 10, 2018

Good Things Don't Come Easy

The Door Handle Story


Cottage has only one door downstairs... The one between the living-room and the dining-room/kitchen. I know that open floor plan is all the rage, but I actually like the fact that I can close that door when the dishwasher or the washing-machine (it is in the kitchen, which is quite common in France for small houses) is on... 


Cottage n'a qu'une seule porte en bas, celle qui sépare le salon de la partie  salle-à-manger/cuisine. Je sais, c'est la mode du tout ouvert, mais j'apprécie de pouvoir fermer la porte quand le lave-vaisselle ou le lave-linge sont en marche. 


This door has a French Limoges china door knob which does a lot, according to me, for the look of Cottage's downstairs. But all my friends and family complain that it's not very easy of use.


Cette porte a une petite poignée ronde en porcelaine de Limoges qui ajoute beaucoup, d'après moi, au charme du rez-de-chaussée. Mais mes amis et ma famille se plaignent que ce ne soit pas très facile à manipuler.

So when I remodeled upstairs, I decided to buy the door handles made by the same company, still in French Limoges china rather than the door knob.

Alors quand j'ai rénové l'étage, j'ai choisi des poignées de la même collection : assorties à celle du bas, mais plus pratiques.

 
Because they are made in France and using traditionnal methods and materials, they are quite expensive. It was a problem, because at that time, there were many, many things to pay... When you begin remodeling, it seems to never end: if you're blowing the wall where the bathtub is, it's better to buy a new bathtub, since you're getting redding of the walls and doors, it's nice when you rebuild them to use new doors and so on...

Comme elles sont en porcelaine de Limoges, elles ne sont pas données. C'était un problème à ce moment-là, car quand on commence à rénover, les choses à acheter s'accumulent vite. Puisqu'on détruisait les murs de la salle-de-bain, autant acheter une nouvelle baignoire et du coup, une nouvelle robinetterie, puisqu'on détruisait les murs, autant acheter de nouvelles portes pour le moment où on les remonterait... et ainsi de suite.

So I decided that door handles weren't a priority and thought I had a brilliant idea to buy one pair each month.

Je me suis dit que les poignées n'étaient pas une urgence et que j'allais en acheter une paire par mois, cela serait plus discret sur le budget.

I bought the first two in the local hardware store where I buy nearly everything I need... Then the next month, they were out of stock... It happens so often, I wasn't even surprised and came back a few days later, still nothing... After several times, I asked an employee about those handles: this was my workout for the week (if you've ever tried to catch an employee in those stores, you know that they tend to run from you and you have to chase them down the aisle). And she just said they had stopped working with this company.

J'ai acheté les deux premières dans le magasin de bricolage du coin dans lequel je trouve tout... Mais le mois suivant, il n'y en avait plus en rayon. Cela arrive souvent, alors j'y suis retournée quelques jours après. Toujours rien. Là, j'ai fait mon sport de la semaine en courant derrière une vendeuse qui essayait à tout prix de m'éviter. Quand je l'ai rattrapée, elle m'a juste dit que le magasin avait arrêté de vendre ce modèle.


So here I was with four upstairs doors and only two pairs of handles... The easiest thing would have been to sell those two pairs and decide on other handles... This is not what I did, of course.

Me voilà donc avec deux paires de poignées et quatre portes à l'étage... Le plus simple aurait été de revendre ces deux poignées et d'en choisir d'autres... Ce n'est pas ce que j'ai fait, bien sûr.

I looked on line for places selling those handles... I found one in Paimpol, a small harbour town located about three quarter of an hour away from Cottage. I called them.  They didn't have the handles. But they could order them for me, but I need to pay them in advance. So I drove their twice : once to pay and once a few weeks later to pick up the handles. The shop is in an adorable old building and stepping in there was worth all the trouble it took me to get those handles.


J'ai cherché en ligne la liste des revendeurs de cette marque et j'en ai trouvé un à Paimpol, un port situé à environ trois quarts d'heure de Cottage. Je les ai appelés. Ils n'avaient pas ces poignées, mais ils pouvaient les commander. Ils souhaitaient juste que je règle avant. Je me suis donc déplacée deux fois à Paimpol : pour payer et pour récupérer les poignées quelques semaines plus tard. La boutique est située dans un très vieux bâtiment et rien que pour y entrer, cela valait le coup.

That summer, I had read a book untitled Pêcheur d'Islande by Pierre Loti (it has been translated by An Iceland Fisherman) that takes place in that very town of Paimpol. So once the handles were safely in my car, I decided to have a nice walk around to see all the places that are mentionned in the book.


Cet été-là, j'avais lu Pêcheur d'Islande de Pierre Loti qui se passe justement à Paimpol. Une fois les poignées déposées dans la voiture, j'ai donc fait un petit pèlerinage sur les lieux du roman, du Paimpol à Porz Even.


Speaking of books... I hope have news about a little bookshelf project next week... Fingers crossed that after all the delays, I have fianlly found the right person to work with...


En parlant de livres... Il se pourrait que j'ai enfin des nouvelles de mon projet bibliothèque à vous donner bientôt. J'espère qu'après tous les retards accumulés, la personne avec laquelle je travaille en ce moment est la bonne... On va garder les doigts croisés, hein ? 

See you next time,

A bientôt,

Hasta la proxima,



31 comments:

  1. la quincaillerie de Paimpol vaut le détour ! ces boutiques indépendantes renferment toujours des trésors - j'ai un petit faible pour la poignée en forme d'olive mais je peux admettre que le beau est parfois moins pratique... chez ma grand-mère (où les poignées olives étaient en laiton) je me coinçais parfois les doigts contre le montant des portes !
    quelles sont belles ces photos de bateaux...
    bon week-end ! monique59

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming store that is! I can see why you took some time to explore.

    Your perseverance paid off. The knobs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How stunning! and I did the same month by month plan you did only my purchase was cellular blinds for all the windows. Luckily they're always in stock! The door handles are gorgeous, great choice no matter the cost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coucou Magali
    Je souris à la lecture de ton post car les portes de la maison sont toutes équipées de ces poignées en porcelaine, de jolis bijoux qu'il est difficile de trouver désormais, certains leur préfère pour des questions de budget et de facilité les poignées bon marché de mauvaise facture et pas très jolie à l'oeil, chacun son truc... et c'est vrai qu'elles sont difficiles à manipuler ;-)
    Cette petite quincaillerie est vraiment jolie, j'adore, dommage que je sois loin, j'aime beaucoup ces boutiques anciennes devenues si rares elles aussi et où l'on trouve à peu près tout ce que l'on cherche
    C'est l'avantage je pense de vivre à la campagne, un sacré avantage par rapport à la ville
    J'ai hâte de découvrir tes prochains projets
    Passe un très bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
  5. we do this all the time too buy a little each month and hope they still have them. I love the town you show the cobble streets and the nice cafe table with the pretty tea cup and pot. The door handles look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of hard work to get the handles but so worth it. They are fabulous. That shop does look so adorable.
    Happy Weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new handles are worth the wait and trouble, they are gorgeous! It was a good plan to buy a pair monthly but I’ve learned to get everything I need when I see it, I’ve had the same problem. I ran around the state lookin for the cabinet door knobs in my kitchen. Cottage is simply beautiful........Sure enjoyed all the pics and one of my favorite things to do shopping wise when in Europe is check out the hardware stores. I always find such great surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. La quincaillerie de Paimpol est magnifique et tes poignées de porte sont superbes ! Les photos de ta maison sont bien belles. Il y règne un ordre... heu... surprenant ! Bon courage pour la suite de tes projets !

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took a bit to find these handles but oh so worth it for sure. When I saw the picture the first thing I said was hope the handles were saved.

    They add so much to your charming cottage.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the handles were saved! But it was difficult to find them and the hardware store nearby seems to not sell anymore any of the charming stuff I used to find there.

      Delete
  10. Those handles were so charming and add so much to your doors, you did have a little fun in getting more, not too troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that I had a reailer not too far from home and in such a darling little town.

      Delete
  11. I love to read "The Continuing Saga of your Home" and always enjoy the beautiful pictures of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New episodes of the saga will come soon as I have worked quite a lot lately on Cottage!

      Delete
  12. Remodeling often encounters little hiccups along the way. I have had friends search hard and long for small little things like knobs, handles, hinges,and such.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tu sais que les poignées en forme d'olive se mettent du côté tirant de la porte et se combinent très bien avec les poignées longues qui se mettent du côté poussant (si on met l'olive du côté poussant on se rappe les doigts une fois sur deux).
    J'ai les mêmes chez moi et je les aime toujours autant......c'est une valeur sûre.
    Caresses aux griffus. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cette petite boutique est adorable! Nous ne sommes jamais allé à Paimpol, on est plus côté Manche et Calvados, mais ça donne envie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pierre Loti lived and worked in Istanbul and there is a hill called Pierre Loti there. My father commissioned a local painter to paint i for me and I have it in my bedroom!But I have never read a book by him as I mostly thought he was a painter.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love door knobs and the store sounds so interesting!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. The door levers are so pretty, and the town is so charming! I love the blue and white china! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  18. That door in your house is very charming and those handles are so beautiful! I'm glad you finally found a place that could get them for you. And that shop where you got them...oh my! Fabulous and so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a charming store...and the handles are well worth the time you're putting in to get them. What a lovely town how nice you read a book about the town too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magali siempre me encanta leer tus relatos de cada dia de tu vida y de Cottage, hermosas las fotos y la pequena tienda muy lindo ... gracias por compartir. Hasta la Proxima mi Aamiga :) nelly

    ReplyDelete
  21. The handles are beautiful, Magali and well worth the effort you put in to find them! So nice to see the lovely little town, too. Sometimes an inconvenience can turn out to be a blessing :) Wonderful to see all the places described in the book! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love when you take us to sweet little towns in France.

    And I love your door knobs. Finding just the right parts for your cottage isn't easy, but I love that you don't settle for just anything.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those door handles are beautiful!! You worked hard to get those for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Magali! The door handles are so perfect for your charming vintage French cottage. So authentic. It's always a pleasure to visit your lovely blog and follow your journey with Cottage and the towns you visit. Paimpol is enchanting and I believe I would enjoy very much strolls down its streets. Merry Christmas from Texas, USA!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our Blue Tarpaulin are available as UV protected waterproof tarps and are made of durable thick material that is used to cover items completely from external sources like sunlight and weather conditions. These are excellent and safe tarpaulins for the desired location, and also come with brass eyelets placed 50cm each on all sides of the tarp. These sheets also forbid the surface of items to be damaged. These are used for camping and other outdoor activities because they can be used as a shelter during trekking and as a tent when hiking or wandering in the woods.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.