Sunday, March 10, 2019

Quimper's Baby

Bookcase Update - Part 5


The living-room bookcase was a project that I had had in my mind for a long time... Maybe since I visited Cottage. That long window-less wall was destined to be transformed to store my books.

La bibliothèque du salon était un projet qui me trottait dans la tête depuis fort longtemps... Peut-être depuis que j'ai visité Cottage. Ce long mur sans fenêtre avait pour vocation d'accueillir mes livres.


I never intended to "style" the bookcase. It was made to receive as many books as possible and hopefully, I designed it big enough to have a few empty shelves... so I can store future books.

Je n'ai jamais eu l'intention de "décorer" ma bibliothèque. Elle a été créée pour recevoir le plus de livres possible et j'espérais bien que certaines étagères resteraient libres, en attente de futurs livres que je ne manquerais pas d'acheter.


Thus said, I did have a little something that wasn't a book and that I wanted on the bookcase.

Cela dit, il y avait une petite chose qui n'était pas un livre et que je voulais sur une des étagères.


Last summer, I spent a week away from Cottage in Southern Brittany. It was a delightful holiday and I did take pictures to show you, but as my old cat, Piano, died a few days after I came back home, I wasn't really in the mood to blog.

L'été dernier, j'ai passé une semaine dans le sud de la Bretagne. C'était de superbes vacances et j'ai pris plein de photos pour partager ces lieux avec vous. Mais, peu de temps après mon retour, mon vieux chat Piano est mort et je n'avais plus vraiment la tête à écrire sur le blog.


During that time away, I visited the factory that makes the famous Quimper factory. You won't see it, though, as pictures were forbidden inside. Many things were kept a secret... We saw how the pieces were made from start to finish, but the recipesfor the clay or the colours were not given, of course. I spend a wonderful afternoon there and by chance, one piece caught my attention. I saw several phases of its making, as when we arrived in the first room, a worker, or maybe I should say an artist, was molding it and then when we were in the oven room, this piece was waiting on a tray, ready to be baked.


Pendant ces vacances, j'ai visité la fabrique de la faïencerie de Quimper. Je ne peux rien vous monrer car les photos étaient interdites à l'intérieur. Beaucoup d'éléments étaient gardés secrets... Nous avons vu comment les faïences étaient fabriquées du début à la fin, mais les recettes de la pâte ou des couleurs sont restées secrètes, bien sûr. J'ai passé une après-midi passionnante et le hasard a fait qu'une pièce a particulièrement attiré mon attention. Dans la première salle de modelage, un ouvrier, peut-être devrais-je dire un artiste, travaillait sur ce modèle. Quand nous sommes arrivés dans la salle des fours, un plateau de ce modèle attendait d'être cuit.


So when I visited the store, I decided to buy it to decorate the bookcase and to remember this day. It was way more expensive than things I usually buy for myself, so I had it gift-wrapped as it was a gift to myself. And I waited for the bookcase to be painted to open my gift!

Quand je suis passée à la boutique, j'ai donc décidé d'acheter ce modèle. Ainsi, je me souviendrais longtemps de cette journée et ce serait parfait sur une étagère de la bibliothèque. C'était tout de même un peu plus cher que ce que je m'offre habituellement et j'ai donc demandé à la vendeuse de me faire un paquet cadeau pour marquer le coup... J'ai ensuite attendu que la bibliothèque soit peinte pour ouvrir mon cadeau !


I really like the fact the baby is reading (it was meant to be on my shelves) and also how its off-white colour looks on the blue beadboard.

J'aime beaucoup le fait que le bébé soit en train de lire (cela ne pouvait qu'aller sur une bibliothèque) et la façon dont le blanc cassé ressort sur le bleu du fond de la bibliothèque.


I'm wondering, though, if a second baby of this collection wouldn't look good on the bookcase... What do you think? Should I go back to Quimper?

Je me demande quand même si un deuxième bébé de cette collection ne serait pas parfait... Qu'en pensez-vous ? Dois-je retourner à Quimper ?


See you next time,

A la prochaine fois,

Hasta la proxima,


PS1: Pictures were forbidden inside the factory, but I have pictures of the outside and of the neighbourhood... So as soon as I have a little time on my hand, I'll write a post about that day.

PS 1 : Les photos étaient interdites à l'intérieur, mais j'ai pris des photos de l'extérieur et du quartier... Je vous fais un petit article dès que j'ai un peu de temps devant moi.

PS2 : As soon as the baby was in place, I began filling the shelves with books. I'll show you that as soon as I can.

PS 2 : Dès que le bébé a été en place, j'ai commencé à charger les étagères de livres. Je vous montre ça dès que possible.

25 comments:

  1. I treasure my two pieces of Henriot that I bought when we lived in Brittany. I think your baby is lovely and she would be happy to have a companion.Save up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. companion piece would be lovely - your bookcase filled with books will be wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it calls to you...buy it. Otherwise, you will hear its call the rest of your life. I love your bookcase with the blue background and am looking forward to more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, buy a another one, you deserve it:). I will enjoy looking at your bookcase. My sister has 2 tall ones next to each other, full of beloved books. She does have dolls and stuff animals with rockers and bench for them, our moms, so treasured too:).
    Have a nice evening,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new bookcases, blue beadboard and now the perfect china baby!! And he is reading a book, how perfect is that?? That baby is a memory of a special day....there will be more special days and more memories, I say, 'wait'.

    I have two book cases with glass doors, packed full of books and special memories.... One bookcase in my bedroom, 2 bookcases in my sewing room and 2 more in my computer room...…. Never enough boodcases….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ce bébé est trop mignon, il est craquelé? Ne souffrirait-il pas d'être seul pour monopoliser le regard de l'observateur...c'est toi qui va le regarder chaque jour dans sa perpétuelle quête de lecteur.
    A voir!!!
    En attendant, j'ai hâte de tout voir installé.
    Caresses aux griffus. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.....Awww that is so sweet, maybe over the next 3 yrs you could buy 1 for each shelf....honestly, when I saw that bag I thought, crap I guess we'll have to wait to see what's in it, Thanks for not making us wait, altho, I'm guessing there's a ton of books on those shelves now.....looking forward to taking an armchair day trip with you to see this place and it's surroundings....Hope you have a Great week.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful you gifted this special piece to yourself and how great that it is a perfect addition to your book case.
    Looks wonderful and will continue to look great as you fill it with all your books.
    Have a great week Magali.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect gift for you and cottage. The little Quimper reading baby is so sweet for your shelves. Yes, I think you need a second trip there. We've been to Quimper twice, once wasn't enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I love It! By all means, buy another one. I mean, it's Quimper Ware,after all . You deserve it, and so does Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun factory to visit I'm sure. You found yourself a pretty piece. Two would look lovely spread out on the bookcases.

    They are so pretty I can't wait to see them filled with your pretty books.

    Can't wait to see if you decide to purchase another.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magali seria muy interesante que colecciones algo tan hermoso y delicado si regresa a Quimper mi querida amiga:) y Hasta la Proxima ...
    nelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need a large bookcase like yours to display books (mostly poetry and ones written by my author friends) and some knick knacks! When I move I think I may plan for one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour,

    Je vous suis depuis un petit moment et je trouve votre cottage magnifique et j'apprécie beaucoup vos posts. Je me permets aujourd'hui de vous envoyer ce petit message pour dire mon plaisir à découvrir vos projets de déco, vos articles très intéressants sur vos ballades, vos chats (je suis moi aussi une amoureuse des chats j'en ai deux à la maison).
    Je découvre avec ce post cette faïencerie de Quimper et votre bébé est adorable.
    Oui, il lui un autre bébé pour qu'il se sente moins seul,

    Pascale31

    ReplyDelete
  15. J'adore les faiences de Quimper (en plus de celles de Gien) et ce bébé liseur est adorable ! Un autre serait sans doute le bienvenue !

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful piece and children do love books,another would be nice,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bookcase is perfect and I love your special gift to yourself!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. quelle magnifique porcelaine ! j'adore cette blancheur, cette sobriété... si ce bébé lecteur plein de tendresse reste unique, il n'en sera que plus précieux ! mais... une nouvelle escapade dans la si jolie ville de Quimper mériterait un nouveau souvenir - quel dilemme ! je vous souhaite une bonne fin de semaine et une météo clémente (ce qui manque en ce moment dans le Nord) monique59

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those bookcases look fantastic, I can't wait to see them filled with books!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That bookcase is stunning, and I like your little gift to yourself. Hope all is going well in Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Magali, Please post soon - we are worried!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all the work you have done. Your choice of colors is wonderful! Hope you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. J'adore les faiences de Quimper (en plus de celles de Gien) et ce bébé liseur est adorable ! Un autre serait sans doute le bienvenue !
    Mega888
    SaGaming

    ReplyDelete
  24. Let me share this on your lovely blog, A neighbor of mine developed dementia & diabetes, then her husband died, no children or family nearby. I am thankful our closest neighbor, an African American woman, introduced Dr Itua Herbal Medicine, A traditional herbal doctor in which we purchased a herbal product for her through his Dr Itua online herbs store. A former social worker stepped in and led the way to place the widow in a care facility. We visit nearly every week until she finishes drinking Dr Itua herbal medicines, if possible. The two of us take simple games, puzzles, and matching cards to do with her, staying about 2 hours. Jenga, Trouble, puzzles 100pcs or less, 20 cards to match (total-not 40!). The fishing game where the fish open and shut their mouths as they go around is lots of fun! We sit and chat with her until she gets well again, then we pull out a game and the three of us laugh together as we play. We take a variety of things to do so that we won't get bored. She finished Dr Itua herbal medicines and she's fine now and doing better with the help of Dr Itua herbal medicines, Dr Itua cures different illnesses with his herbal medicines. Anyone having a sick person should reach Dr Itua email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua Cure Alzheimer's,Cancer,Parkinson,Hiv,Herpes,Hpv,Kidney disease,Diabetes,Hepatitis, We hug and hold hands a lot. Having two of us go together really helps. But I can go alone, my neighbor cannot, as she saw so much of this during her years as a social worker. I hope this specific list helps others in this situation.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.