Monday, April 20, 2015

Cheers To Me!

The Dining-Room Transformation - episode 7 out of ???

The Sheer Curtain


Hello there! I'm so glad you're still around for the seventh episode of this never-ending series! Many of the first posts in this series were about very useful things.

Bonjour à tous! Je suis bien contente que vous soyez encore là pour le septième épisode de cette série sans fin sur mon coin salle-à-manger. Les premiers articles concernaient surtout des choses utiles.


I mean, sure, the new floor looks great, but it also had to be redone due to insulation problems; uncovering the ceiling sure gave Cottage some charm, but I also chose to do it because I believe hidden wood in an old house is dangerous (we have a couple of problems with that in Brittany). Again, I changed the window for a more cottage-y one, but it was first to get a more energy-efficient one...

Bien sûr, le nouveau carrelage est joli, mais c'est surtout parce qu'il fallait isoler le sol qu'il a dû être changé. De même, faire apparaître les poutres au plafond ajoute du charme à la pièce, mais c'est une transformation qui a aussi été réalisée pour permettre au bois de respirer à l'air libre, quelque chose de très important en Bretagne où un méchant champignon attaque les bois qui sont dans le noir. Encore une fois, changer la fenêtre a permis de rajouter de charmants petits carreaux, mais le but premier était d'isoler...


Today, I'm going to show you a perfectly useless project that makes me so happy. 

Aujourd'hui passons à un projet parfaitement inutile mais qui me plaît beaucoup.


Some of you may remember my love for cotton sheer curtains floating in the air: I was already dreaming about them when I wrote this post or when I was watching Revenge

Certains se souviennent peut-être que j'adore les voilages de coton flottant dans la brise : j'en rêvais déjà quand j'ai écrit cet article ou quand je regardais la série Revenge


I decided to make that dream come true in the dining-room. 

J'ai décidé de transformer ce rêve en réalité dans le coin repas.


There's no privacy issue in the dining-room. The window faces the garden and behind my garden is a field and after that an other field... Basically except seagulls, no one can see me! 


Il n'y a pas de problème de vis-à-vis avec cette fenêtre. Cela donne sur le jardin, au-delà il y a un champ et encore plus loin un autre champ. A part les goélands, personne ne peut me voir!


So I ordered the same curtain I had already ordered for the kitchen... But this time, I did not intend to cut them.


J'ai donc commandé le même voilage en coton que j'avais acheté pour la cuisine, mais cette fois, pas question de le couper.


And then I brought my neighbour a bouquet of my lemon verbena he loves... He could do nothing but come help me with the curtain rod after that! I didn't trust my self to drill holes in my brand new walls (more on that in a few posts).

Ensuite, j'ai apporté un gros bouquet de verveine à mon voisin qui l'adore... Il n'avait plus tellement le choix : il a fallu qu'il me fixe ma tringle. Je n'ai pas eu assez confiance en moi pour percer mes murs tout neufs (des nouvelles à ce sujet dans quelque temps).


I chose a very simple white wood rod and I thought I'd attach the curtain with bows like the kitchen ones. But as the curtain is hung high, I was unable to open them without climbing on a step-ladder once they had been closed... So I went back to the store to buy some rings and re-attached each bow to a ring.

My curtain stuck when it didn't have any rings/ mon rideau coincé sans ses anneaux!
J'ai choisi une tringle en bois blanche toute simple et j'ai utilisé les nouettes pour attacher le rideau... Super mignon... Mais impossible à manœuvrer pour la Petite Blonde que je suis... J'arrivais à fermer le rideau, mais pas à l'ouvrir sans monter sur un escabeau... Je suis donc retournée au magasin pour acheter des anneaux et j'ai rattaché chaque nouette à un anneau.

I had ordered a long curtain and it puddled on the floor in a very bloggy way (sorry it doesn't seem I have a good picture showing it)... But very, very soon, it drove me mad... It might look good on blogs, but I have no idea how other blogers make it work. Here, it seemed to mostly attrack all the cat hairs that keep piling in Cottage!

Only picture I found where you can nearly see the long curtain at Christmas time.

 J'avais commandé le rideau en grande longueur. Cela dégoulinait joliment sur le sol... On se serait cru dans un blog de déco ! Magnifique ! Il semble cependant que je n'ai pas pensé à prendre de photo... Et pour cause, dans la vraie vie, le bas du rideau attire tous les poils des chats... 





Still, it took me six months to gather the will to hem it!


Bref, je me suis résolue à faire un ourlet... six mois plus tard !

 
What do you think? I mean about the curtain, not the fact that it took me so long to finish the project.

Alors, qu'en dites-vous ? Du rideau, pas du fait que j'ai mis six mois à finir ce projet !

See you soon,

A bientôt,



PS1: Of course, in all those pictures, you noticed nothing else than the curtain... When you'll close this tab, you'll magically forget seeing any furniture in this room.

PS1 : Bien sûr, pendant votre lecture, vous étiez tellement concentré sur mon rideau que vous n'avez rien remarqué d'autre. Quand vous fermerez cet onglet, vous oublierez comme par magie avoir vu aucun meuble dans cette pièce.

PS2: The branch on my window sill is blooming this morning... I'd share a picture but a new project has already begun in the dining-room... All I can say is: I'm not eating there today!

PS2 : Les boutons sur ma branche de pommier se sont ouverts ce matin. J'aimerais prendre des photos pour vous, mais un nouveau projet a encore transformé la salle-à-manger en capharnaüm... Tout ce que je peux dire, c'est que je ne mange pas là aujourd'hui!

PS3: I'm sharing my post with:

http://theenchantingrose.blogspot.fr/2015/04/roses-of-inspiration-linkup-16.html         Ivy and Elephants        http://mysalvagedtreasures.blogspot.fr/  
Elizabeth and Co.           http://diybydesign.blogspot.fr/2015/04/swing-into-spring-its-party-216.html               Savvy Southern Style                                  
http://www.frenchcountrycottage.net/2015/04/feathered-nest-friday_23.html            Shabbilicious-Friday-logo-4002             Weekend Bloggy Reading                       
   http://www.thoughtsfromalice.com/2015/04/sundays-at-home-no-55-weekly-link-party.html                          

64 comments:

  1. Looks so Bright! Good job! I have problem with the privacy for my dining room, on my culture dining area should be 'hidden' from the public area. So, in my little house, it's not easy to make a good lay out and design to get the convenience .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even here in France, I wouldn't have chosen such a light fabric for the dining-room if there was a privacy problem. I'm lucky this room faces the back garden.

      Delete
  2. Oh Magali - it looks so beautiful! All of it! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Magali,

    the curtains looks airy and beautiful, very pretty. About the will to hem it, well, I don´t like sewing either, so I perfectly understand.
    Have a nice day!
    Yours,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been fond of the 'puddled' look, too impractical! You could use double sided adhesive tape for the hem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the curtain but am so glad you don't keep it covering that window or blocking the view outdoors. Love it that the window opens like that. We can't have windows open in the summer without screens. We'd have swarms of mosquitoes indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the curtain but am so glad you don't keep it covering that window or blocking the view outdoors. Love it that the window opens like that. We can't have windows open in the summer without screens. We'd have swarms of mosquitoes indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the curtain but am so glad you don't keep it covering that window or blocking the view outdoors. Love it that the window opens like that. We can't have windows open in the summer without screens. We'd have swarms of mosquitoes indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the perfect curtain for Cottage - sweet and simple! I adore how deep your window sills are. Seldom do we have anything like that in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer breezes billowing the curtains, so pretty Magali! Very nice of the neighbor helping you too. Mmm I see furniture being moved in the near future and perhaps some painting. Have a wonderful day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour has a very old and very shy cat and I take care of her when he goes away. I told him that I didn't want anything in return as I love his cat, but every now and then he lends me a hand. Do I need to remind you that you saw NO furniture in this post??? And don't tell anyone, but I may have spend the last two days sanding something...

      Delete
  10. So pretty. I love sheers. I believe it about the hemming. That's why I partially took the curtains down on my linen closet. I've had them pinned for nearly two years, and now that they are down, I'm not sure I feel like fixing them. It's it funny how kitties like to lay on the bottom of them if they pool on the floor. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the curtains and they look so pretty. I am sure Cottage liked them as they are showcasing the window. I can never get my curtains to puddle right either. Good job and looking forward to the next chapter with Cottage.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your curtain is sheer perfection! (sorry for the pun) Cottage is looking very "handsome."

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sheer curtain is pretty even if it is not functional. I don't like the look of pooled curtains either, but I have a couple that I have not hemmed for over five years, so you have me beat! I am jealous of your deep window sills. I am sure the kitties love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I think of France now, I will visualize your gorgeous window, with the cool, crisp curtain, sheer white, airy and bright.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sigh, I love a sheer curtain flowing in the breeze. And I definitely loved a hemmed one. I am with you on the fact that I cannot handle the gorgeousness or hassle of a big puddle of curtain on the ground. Ugggh. I am unfashionably short when it comes to my window coverings. oh well. And definitely didn't see anything in this post other than your curtain. Until you say so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, dreamy. I love to see a filmy curtain fluttering in the breeze. (And I so agree with you about the puddled curtains. . .could I live with that? I don't think I could.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That curtain is perfect for your room. That is so funny about the puddled drapes! I have those everywhere in our house.... but then I don't have cats? Anyway, I say, forget about what you see elsewhere, do what works for you!! Your place looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ethereal, famine, and oh so perfect framing that gorgeous view! You make me want to visit France.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops...that should read 'feminine', unless of course your curtains are hungry ;).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is perfect for the cottage window! I can already imagine it blowing in the sea breeze! xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't manage to take a picture of it, but it's dancing in the breeze this morning!

      Delete
  21. Gorgeous window and gorgeous white sheers to gently dance with the breeze. So pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  22. Magali, SUPER! You really have a great thing going here with the transformation of that wonderful window space. I wish my windows had that depth to them so I could place a vase on it like a shelf. Your outdoor shutters are authentic and gorgeous, and like you, I love and do have white wispy curtains that make the house look so relaxing. We also have white wispy curtains in our screened-in patio and when the wind blows, they dance. Oh the love one can great with décor!

    HAVE FUN! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super vos rideaux ! Et quelle bonne idée de fixer les nouettes sur des anneaux pour que ça glisse plus facilement. Je vais y penser pour mes nouveaux rideaux... Amitiés

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always, your posts are so entertaining! The curtain is perfect and I am loving more close up pictures of the wonderful knob!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Magali, quelle lumiere dans ta maion!
    Est-ce -que tu connaisse un peintre polonaise ;Wyczolkowski?
    http://zadane.pl/zadanie/5004254

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi...so..what came first..your love of the sheers..or revenge..an 2..are you going to hang something sweet on the door knob..i wish our windows opened like that here..ours open out not in..hope you have a soft breeze soon..or have already..look forward to what's going on now..i'm guessing something to do with chairs..or maybe a table..funny that was your hint..when i was scrolling down i thought..boy her friends must love going there to hang out an have a bite..
    ......pretty day here..hope you're having the same..

    ReplyDelete
  27. J'aime ton rideau, bien que ce soit la grande mode de ne plus mettre de rideaux qui encombreraient le regard vers l'extérieur, moi j'aime avoir des rideaux aux fenêtres.
    Je pense aussi que tu aurais pu mettre une baguette guide attachée à la première nouette pour tirer ton rideau dans un sens ou dans l'autre, il y en a en bois, en plexi ou encore en fer & plus ou moins longues.
    Bisous bisous & caresses aux chats. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks beautiful!! So inviting!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your curtains and new windows! I have enjoyed reading about your cottage. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandi! I'll have more news about Cottage in a few days!

      Delete
  30. Magali you have a wonderful veiw and i like your curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the sheer curtain - absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Magali you are such a delight! I love the easy breeziness of the white curtain. It's perfect!!!!!!! Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  33. quelle jolie poignée de porcelaine !!
    le voilage de coton est très doux et aérien et le blanc blanc ne coupe pas la lumière - bon choix !
    pour faire glisser les voilages sur nouettes, il faut coudre un gros bouton sous le nœud, ainsi c'est le bouton qui glisse sur la tringle (ça ne fonctionne pas avec un tissu lourd) mais les anneaux sont bien sûr plus pratiques ! bien à vous - monique59

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ce gros plan sur la poignée m'avait été demandé par une lectrice. Je vais garder le truc des boutons en tête pour les prochains rideaux... Car il reste quelques pièces à équiper!

      Delete
  34. Magali a mi parecer quedaron super bien, se ve linda la ventana tambien- y lo que me gusta mucho es a la entrada de la cocina y comedor es la repisa se ve muy bonito. ^ .. ^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La repisa fue un proyecto que hice hace dos años y todavía me encanta!

      Delete
  35. (rires) mais que fais tu maintenant comme travaux dans ta pièce ?
    Je souris quand j'écris ce message car la dernière fois j'étais certaine de te voir poser un rideau (je ne me suis pas trompée), par contre là j'avoue, je n'ai pas vu de quels meubles tu parlais .... that's the question ???
    Rooooo vite des nouvelles, je veux savoir (rires)
    bises et à bientôt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je fais une toute petite pause car je suis au chômage technique... Le magasin s'est planté dans ma commande et je n'ai pas la sous-couche qu'il me faut pour le prochain projet... Je reprends mes pinceaux dès que possible!

      Delete
  36. So that's what the Lemon Verbena was about!! The sheer curtain looks great, it still lets all the light in but finishes the window, very pretty. I know what you mean about the pooling. I had that with my last curtain on the front door, it won't be happening again! It's a dirt catcher. At present I'm waiting for my mam to visit to do the hemming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Très joli voilage, je trouve que cela finit une pièce et apporte du charme...
    Vivement la suite !!
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your sweet little home is so brght, cheerful, calm, and inviting! How you must love spending time in your cottage :)

    I love the sheer curtain, my friend....I think it's perfect! And the glass jar with the branch looks so lovely with the sun streaming through the window onto it. Thank you, my dear, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration - always a joy to have you at the party. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am in love with the photo of that open window!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the look of your sheer curtain, but certainly understand how it would drive you crazy collecting all kinds of stuff from the floor. Your entire room makes me smile....it's so cheerful. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cheers indeed! Isn't it wonderful how such a small thing can cause delight! I adore your choice in window coverings. The wood molding is also fantastic.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a beautiful window! Love the sheer curtain...but, like you not so much the puddling, mine collected cat here too! Your pots and pitchers on the beam above are wonderful...what a great way to display them. Please count me as your newest follower~~~Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  43. BTW, the furniture that I didn't see was awesome, the whole place looks great. I love it when the wind blows a sheer curtain, we had them in our bedroom as I grew up, and loved it in the spring when it was just warm enough to have the windows open and the drapes would fly. Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love it! I can practically feel the breeze blowing in with the curtain billowing softly! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Un tel article est bien rafraîchissant : on sent presque la brise passer sous le rideau… Merci pour cet article poétique (et pratique !) ! À bientôt ! Bon week-end, Flopsy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your curtains are so pretty and really make cottage shine. Cheers to good neighbors! I didn't scroll back at all...I promise (fingers crossed).....Are you going to blog about......Okay I confess I cannot figure out what is new! I am with you on the pooling curtain thing. I can't get mine to sit right either...and the dust bunnies they collect. Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  47. I just saw something on your side board. :) You are too nice. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the new curtains! And everything else I peeked in the photos - hope you don't mind, I DID try to focus only on the curtains :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love how it looks and I also really like the length of it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I thought I had been here and commented but somehow it seems I haven't........sorry.
    I get a sense that you are enjoying your home as much as I do mine, especially when a room is made over and it makes such a difference . That last picture looking from the outside in would make a perfect postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  51. That window is just gorgeous - and you picked the perfect curtain for it Magali !
    It's one of the things I love most about Europe - the deep windows - and the absence of screens - we couldn't survive a night in the summer without them here !
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  52. That window is just gorgeous - and you picked the perfect curtain for it Magali !
    It's one of the things I love most about Europe - the deep windows - and the absence of screens - we couldn't survive a night in the summer without them here !
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  53. I don't know how I missed the strawberry and dining room curtain posts.

    Your strawberry patch looks great and so do the strawberries. I love the sheer curtains in the dining room. Great choice.
    I am sure Cottage loved having those beautiful sheers up to his window.

    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.