Tuesday, June 30, 2015

On The Road With You

Driving From Cottage To Substitute Cottage


Don't think I'm not thinking of you, my dear readers. I think of you all the time, taking pictures all day long for you, which makes everybody around me believe I'm completely crazy. But when the evening comes I'm just too exhausted to upload them, mark them, not to mention write a post.

Park entrance, a few yards away from Cottage

N'imaginez pas que je ne pense pas à vous, chers lecteurs. Je pense à vous tout le temps : je n'arrête pas de prendre des photos pour vous, à tel point que tout le monde autour de moi me prend pour une folle. Mais le soir venu, je suis trop épuisée pour les mettre sur l'ordi, les marquer, sans parler d'écrire un article.

Former train station inn, now transformed into a house.
Why am I so tired? Because I'm on the road all day long.

Pourquoi suis-je si fatiguée ? Parce que je suis sur la route toute la journée (sainte ou pas).

Lovely rose filled roundabout very close to Cottage.

It starts early in the morning, before the workers arrive at Cottage. I drive from Substitute Cottage to Cottage to see Milo and sometimes Piano, the two cats who stayed at Cottage and who disappear as soon as the workers show up. If I can, I stay a little longer to meet the workers and check what's going to be done that day.


Cela commence tôt le matin, avant que les ouvriers n'arrivent au Cottage. Je fais mon premier trajet entre le Cottage de substitution et le véritable Cottage pour voir Milo, et parfois Piano, les chats qui sont restés là-bas. Ils disparaissent dès que les ouvriers montrent le bout de leur nez, de leur échelle et de leur perceuse !


Then I drive to school 1 or school 2 depending on the day of the week. At lunch time, I usually love to laugh with my colleagues (I am lucky enough to have very funny colleagues that I'll miss a lot next year), but lately, I drive back to Cottage to check what's been done. Right, I'm a control freak, but last week, that's how I found out everything that had been done in the morning was wrong and was to be undone. Imagine how much time we would have wasted if I hadn't come back at lunch time! Then I drive to Substitute Cottage for a quick bite and a walk with Shadow, the cat who followed me there.

Narrow street from the village.
Ensuite je me rends dans l'école 1 ou l'école 2 suivant le jour. A la pause déjeuner, que j'adore d'habitude passer avec mes collègues (j'ai la chance d'avoir des collègues très drôles et ils vont me manquer l'an prochain), je fonce vers Cottage pour voir l'avancée des travaux, rattraper un éventuel problème - oui, il m'est déjà arrivé de leur demander de défaire tout le travail du matin. Ensuite je reprends la voiture, direction le Cottage de substitution pour un grignotage rapide et une promenade avec Shadow, le chat qui m'a accompagnée.

The village church is between Cottage and Substitute Cottage.

By the time I'm back to school, I'm a mess... It's really hot for Brittany standards these days and my car doesn't have air conditionning... I'm trying to keep the windows open... which makes my long hair go wild... I must be quite a vision when I arrive in the staff room!


Quand je reviens au collège, je ne ressemble déjà plus à rien. Il fait chaud en ce moment en Bretagne, je n'ai pas la clim dans ma petite voiture... Je roule fenêtres ouvertes... J'arrive donc rouge coquelicot et les cheveux en bataille...


In the evening, I drive to Cottage, check what's been done, feed the cats, stay with them a little, try to do what I can in the garden, which is currently as wild as my hair. When I sit back in my car, I'm so tired that I let the car drive by itself. Seriously, sometimes, when I park under the bedroom window of my rental, I can't remember how I managed to arrive there.

A little fisherman's Cottage I'd love to renovate.
Le soir, je repasse par Cottage pour voir où on en est, nourrir les chats, leur faire un câlin, désherber un peu mon potager qui semble dans le même état que mes cheveux en ce moment. Je remonte dans la voiture et là, elle rentre toute seule au Cottage de substitution. Sans rire, je me gare parfois sous la fenêtre de ma chambre provisoire sans même me souvenir du trajet.

I'd also love to renovate that one!

Anyway, on one of those midday trip, I decided to snap a few pictures for you, thinking you'd love to see how it looks in between Cottages. All pictures were taken from my car, as fast as I could while there was no car behind me, so you'll understand why some are crooked or why sometimes I didn't have time to adjust the light.

The mansion behind that gate is being renovated.

Toujours est-il que lors d'un de ces trajets de mi-journée, j'ai pris quelques photos pour vous, pensant que vous aimeriez peut-être voir ce qui est entre les deux cottages. Toutes les photos sont prises de ma voiture "à l'arrache" et vous pardonnerez donc qu'elles ne soient pas bien cadrées ou mal éclairées.

The last house before I make a turn to find my Substitute Cottage.
Now, some news about Cottage. The bathroom has been torn down to reveal some very bad eletrical wiring behind those walls. I'm so relieved this is going to be sorted out. Also, even you can't really see it there, the bathroom window has been changed, so now I shall be able to open it after taking a hot shower... that is when I'll be able to take a hot shower there!


Quelques nouvelles de Cottage. La salle-de-bain a été complètement détruite pour révéler les installations électriques bien dangereuses cachées dans les murs et derrière la baignoire. Je serai tellement soulagée quand les nouveaux câbles seront en place. Une chose est cependant déjà faite dans la salle-de-bain : la fenêtre a été changée, je peux maintenant l'ouvrir après une douche chaude... enfin quand je pourrai prendre une douche chaude !



See you soon for more news,

A bientôt,



PS&: I'm just back from Cottage and the electrician was hard at work!

PS: Je reviens juste du Cottage et l'électricien était au travail !

PS2: I'm linking with

Ivy and Elephants            http://diybydesign.blogspot.fr/2015/06/sizzle-into-summer-its-party-225.html             The Enchanting Rose     

47 comments:

  1. Magali, I just loved reading this post and admiring your beautiful photographs. Your region is stunning and I am so envious. How I would love in another lifetime to have lived in rural France in a little cottage. You are living my dream. I appreciate your posts and photos so much. This to me is why I like blogs, it is incredible seeing other parts of the world. My daughter who is in her second last of school is considering primary school teaching!! Take care and I don't know how you cope without air-conditioning. Best wishes, Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard work, Magali. But eventually you will look back and all will be perfect. It will have been worth all the driving, the overseeing and everything else that you have to fit in. Do you find time to eat??

    ReplyDelete
  3. No air conditioning? I sympathize, I hate to be too hot. Makes a person feel all grumpy :-)) Thank you for the tour. What a lovely village. I like that cottage with the wall around it and the little round window. Maybe you will become an expert renovator and designer, and people will hire you for your expertise doing cottages. What challenging days you have, I hope you get some rest. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cottage caught my eye the minute I saw it... I'd love to ive it some TLC.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your photos, Magali. I sigh over each and every one of them. I understand the too tired to write a post thing. I have cut back to two a week this summer. Just too tired with everything else to do any more than that. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm certainly glad you stopped by cottage and fix the problem. I hope this renovation upstairs is done in a timely fashion and checking on him is a good thing. Just think, this winter you and the kitties can sleep warmly and have a nice warm bathroom shower to wake up to. Like Ann said, love my tour of France. Restful days ahead Magali, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm also so happy I skipped my lunch break to come back to Cottage that day!

      Delete
  6. Thank you tor taking all those photos, you certainly live in a beautiful area with so many charming houses to look at.
    You described your days so well that I'm tired just thinking about all that driving and I know all too well how hot it is, being that we're relatively close (in blog terms anyway), the weather is the same here, and I spend most of my days in an unbearably hot kitchen.
    How long will it be before you are home again, I bet you can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll be so happy with new electric and other upgrades -- things you've become accustomed to will seem vaporize. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to light more than one lamp in my bedroom will definitely be an improvement next winter!

      Delete
  8. You are a busy woman! ...and I like to check on things too...just to make sure they are done the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the stone walls are so beautiful, so natural

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..wow and wow....you are one busy girl! I am tired just reading about it. But, you are so right to drop in and out because as you see, mistakes happen. I am excited to live this one vicariously through you. I am taking a renovation break for the summer but I will cheer you on. Oh and I LOVE that house from Revenge. I am always wishing I had taped it so I could pause and stare at the rooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been away too long, wow a renovation? Cottage must be both excited and exhausted! Same goes for you too Magali! At least the drive isn't so bad, based on the pictures you've shown here. Brittany is a lovely town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tough days, thoughts and body all over the place. Take care of yourself as well, it is ok to be a tad less than amazing when so much is going on =) Cottage will want so much reassurance when you move back in after this major reconstruction, but mostly I think he will be very proud of his new, healthy appearence! So fun to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cottage and I will both need a little time to adjust... But we can't wait to be reunited.

      Delete
  13. Les maisons bretonnes sont bien belles !... et d'ici quelques jours, la tienne sera superbe... il ne restera plus qu'à peindre le plafond, peindre ou ciré le plancher, peindre les murs, remonter les meubles, récupérer tout ce que tu as entassé chez les parents, dans le garage... faire la poussière... bref des bricoles... Bon courage !

    ReplyDelete
  14. que d'aventures avec ce pauvre cottage, il devait un jour te trouver pour que tu le changes totalement d'aspect, ça n'a pu que lui être profitable
    il va être si beau et tu seras tellement contente après les travaux ;-) tu vas nous en raconter des choses, des belles histoires, des surprenantes aussi... puis viendra la déco
    l'été va vite passer et tu le retrouveras tout pimpant
    courage, ça arrive - bises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je vais m'atteler à la déco plus tard, après m'être reposée de cette aventure épuisante... Mais j'ai hâte! Ce sera plus amusant!

      Delete
  15. OH MAGALI! How I loved this tour that you take every day! I can definitely see the influence of this grand architecture in our own home and community. Homes like this were built in many parts of our city, made of stone, after the old world charm. AND THE LITTLE SCHOOL! It is a dream cottage in itself. You must be so tired, but soon, your cozy home will be done. Thank you for this tour! And, it is warmer than usual out your way? I heard Paris was even warmer than usual! Be well, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the lovely tour. My dream is to someday visit France; in the meantime I'll "visit" via your blog. Looking forward to seeing the Cottage renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! How exhausting indeed. Now I feel very lucky to have had our RV to live in on site. Hugs to you Magali, I wish we were closer so yu could live with me while this tearing apart phase 2 or 3 was being done. Lovely pictures of beautiful houses. I hope you get a break from school soon and won't have as much travelling to do. xo Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  18. mi querida Magali que alegria siento cuando veo tu Blog. las fotos estan muy lindas gracias por tomarte el tiempo de escribir me gusto mucho el fisherman's cottage . Siento que no tengas aire acondicionado se lo que es eso figurate yo vivo en Florida y me ha tocado no tener aire A. por un tiempo, bueno hasta la proxima y aunque estes cansada siempre es bueno que chequees como va el trabajo para que cottage no se moleste :) cuidate- nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly ,
      Es muy rara vez se alcanzan temperaturas muy altas en Bretaña y por lo general se enfría de noche gracias a la influencia del mar. Esta ola de calor sorprende cada uno tan temprano en el verano . Pero sí, ahora me gustaría tener aire acondicionado en el coche!
      Magali

      Delete
  19. My dear Magali, you must be exhausted! You have been so busy and I admire your hard work and determination! You are surrouned by such wonderful beauty, my friend! Thank you for sharing with us. And thank you for joining Roses of Inspiration this week! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is often how my photographs are taken. I'm happy you did as I enjoyed the photos very much! Take some time off, no one should live so tired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time off should arrive in August, when the big renovation is done!

      Delete
  21. Magali,
    This was such a fun post. I love that you take us along on your day. Lot's of driving for sure. Love those cottages. Oh my I am swooning over them all. Such a quaint and charming little group of cottages. You are so lucky to live around such history and charm. Glad the work on your cottage is coming along.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my word!!!! I have been out of the loop completely and had no idea you were renting a place while getting Cottage all fixed up! You sound like you're exhausted! I'll come by this weekend and help you weed your garden, at the very least. I have been battling snails and slugs all summer in mine. Do not even ASK me how my sorrel is doing. Terribly! There, I told you. My pepper may have made a come back, I'm not sure thought as it's not producing any blossoms. But, the one thing I will have this summer is tomatoes! Bushels and bushels of vine ripened gorgeous tomatoes. And as a side note, I think I have to move to your town permanently, it is too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. L'essentiel est que les travaux avancent. Il est vrai cependant que nous avons une chaleur exceptionnelle et que même si les ouvriers travaillent un peu au ralenti, c'est compréhensible.
    C'est toi qui fera les peintures quand ce sera fini?
    Et ce sera fini avant la rentrée des classes? En tout cas je te le souhaite.
    En ce moment je suis dans la peinture de certains meubles et des portes de la boutique. Je me dépêche parce que je me suis fait mal à l'épaule droite et que le 15 juillet je passe sur le billard pour réparation de la coiffe des rotateurs de l'épaule, en prime 45 jours d'immobilisation du bras et trois mois de rééducation. Alors il faut que j'en fasse le plus possible avant le 15.
    Caresses à Shadow, Milo et Piano. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quelle énergie déployée ! je suis admirative et je profite de la promenade par procuration en découvrant toutes les jolies maisons bretonnes! je suis à 2 doigts de venir rejoindre l'ouest ...
    Les vacances arrivent, et avec elles quelques kms en moins au compteur !!
    Bon courage pour la suite ,
    bise de la Lorraine écrasée sous la chaleur
    Marry Poppins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ici un petit vent frais est revenu. Bonnes vacances! Quelle est la destination exacte?

      Delete
  25. Oh my! You are having a time keeping up with everything. I'm so glad you took photos to share with us. It sure looks a lot different than where I live in Florida. I love the old stone buildings! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Magali you make me tried just reading your blog. I know just how the heat effects a person especially driving and running from here to there. It has been overly hot here to. Global warming, right? You sweet Cottage will be so beautiful inside out, and you won't have to worry about old faulty wiring. Hang in there dear friend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd be tired, too. Wore me out just reading it all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. At least the journey to and from is lovely. I could live there! Without the stress of renovation, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely drive back and forth! Your kitties probably wonder what is going on! I know you will be on so happy to finish this big project! How nice it will be when it's done. Have a lovely rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Magali, Love the wonderful pictures, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place with such history. The church and all the cottages are lovely. I would be tempted to snip a few of those roses though! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church is as often in Brittany quite big for a small village. There are also several chapels on the village grounds.

      Delete
  31. Wow! Your days are busy! Thanks for sharing all these pictures of the wonderful buildings and views that you get to enjoy every day :-) I'd love to go behind some of those doors and see what those old houses look like on the inside :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Magali, you always take your readers on a tour~ which we wouldn't have otherwise. Thank you for that! I love all the conversation between you and Cottage, but right now your day-to-day is complex! Thank you that you come up for air long enough to share your life with us. If Cottage is silent for a time, we totally understand. I'm really looking forward to updates and pictures~ whatever you have the energy to share. Sending good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Exhaustion is something I completely identify with. I hope your summer break is starting soon! At least you get some nice views on your drives.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aïe aïe aïe ! Que tes journées sont bien remplies, cela doit être difficile avec cette chaleur en plus !...
    Heureusement, tu as une voiture magique qui rentre toute seule à la maison (et en plus une maison provisoire, trop forte !).
    Courage, plus les jours passent, plus tu te rapproches de la fin du chantier...
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a busy life, no wonder you're exhausted! Beautiful photos of such lovely houses and I wish you luck with your ongoing cottage renovation. It will be so worth it :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a pretty part of the world you live in. I hope that you are back in your cottage in no time.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.