Saturday, July 04, 2015

Emergency Cottage

Meet My Substitute Cottage


In my last post, we drove from my Cottage through my village and I told you this house was the last one before we make a turn to the left to park in front of my Substitute Cottage. 


Dans mon dernier article, nous avons traversé mon village en partant de Cottage et je vous ai dit que la maison ci-dessus était la dernière maison avant de tourner à gauche pour arriver au Cottage de substitution.

 
The Substitute Cottage is in the countryside, surrounded by fields and is part of a very old farm that consists of several houses and several barns.


Le Cottage de substitution est dans le "côté campagne" du village, alors que le mien est dans ce que l'on appelle le "côté mer". C'est une ancienne ferme qui était composée de plusieurs habitations et plusieurs dépendances.


The owners live in the biggest house: they kept its original design on one side (the one I took pictures of) and completely modernised the other side. I didn't dare to take pictures of that side, because it's only seen from their private garden: I actually only saw it when I came in to sign my contract.

Owners' house / la maison des propriétaires.

Les propriétaires vivent dans la plus grande maison dont il ont conservé l'aspect ancien sur une des façades seulement, celle qui donne sur la cour. Je ne me suis rendue compte qu'en entrant dans leur salon pour signer mon contrat de location que l'autre façade était beaucoup plus moderne.



The other houses and barns have been devided in eight rentals.


Les autres maisons, plus petites, et les dépendances ont été transformées en huit logements.


The one I rent is in an old barn, so for example the ceiling is a lot lower than in the others... But it was cheaper and I must confess, I was looking for something cheap.


Je loue une partie d'une dépendance. Le plafond y est plus bas que dans les maisons car ce n'était pas fait pour être une habitation, mais le loyer est raisonnable pour cette saison en bord de mer et honnêtement, c'était la seule chose qui m'importait!


On the above picture, it's the door on the right of the barn. The door on the left is the laudry room... You can imagine that I can hear from my kitchen and bedroom if anyone is doing laudry!


Je loue le petit duplex derrière la porte de droite sur ces dernières photos. La porte de gauche est celle de laverie et l'avantage, c'est que je peux dire à tout moment si quelqu'un fait tourner une machine ou non grâce à la super insonorisation !

As you can see the window is very small as it didn't used to be a house... It's charming from the outside and not so much from the inside!

Comme vous pouvez le voir, la fenêtre est toute petite... ce qui est charmant de l'extérieur et un peu moins de l'intérieur !


Every morning, before going to Cottage and to school, I have a walk outside with Shadow, the cat who came with me to the Substitute Cottage, because he doesn't like being inside so much and isn't allowed out on his own here. Every morning, a rabbit is having breakfast on the same spot. One of m readers has a rabbit and I thought she'd like to see a pic of this one. I call him "Jeannot", but there are lots of them here, so maybe this one is actually Benjamin or Cotton Tail.


Tous les matins, avant d'aller au Cottage et à l'école, je promène Shadow, le chat qui m'a accompagnée au Cottage de Substitution, aux alentours car il n'aime pas être enfermé toute la journée et ici, il n'a pas le droit de sortir sans moi. Et tous les matins, nous rencontrons un petit lapin au même endroit en train de déjeuner de trèfle. Comme une de mes lectrices a un lapin, j'ai pensé qu'elle aimerait lui montrer des photos de celui-là. Je l'appelle Jeannot, mais comme il y en a plein dans la propriété, celui-là, c'est peut-être Benjamin ou Cotton Tail, je ne les reconnais pas!


Some news from Cottage, now. I'm very happy to report that the destruction phase is officially over. And that the heat wave is over, so things are moving quicker than a the beginning of the week. 

Quelques nouvelles du Cottage, maintenant. Je suis absolument ravie de deux points : la phase de déconstruction est terminée et cela avance un peu plus vite car il fait légèrement moins chaud.


You can see on the picture that the small roof window I had in my bedroom has been removed and refilled with wood (the wood isn't as dark as it's new) and we created a new slighlty bigger roof window that is more in the middle of the room.

Vous pouvez voir sur cette photo que la petite fenêtre de toit de ma chambre a été bouchée (le bois est plus clair à cet endroit) et remplacée par une un peu plus grande et située plus vers le milieu de la pièce.

Now, do you think I should keep the gorgeous blue and yellow linoleum?

Pensez-vous que je doive garder ce magnifique lino bleu et jaune?

See you soon,

A bientôt,





PS 1: School is officially out for the summer, though as I'm still waiting for some news for next year, my mind will only feel in holidays after July 10th, when I should get a letter about next year.

PS1: L'école est officiellement terminée, mais moi, j'attends toujours des réponses pour l'année prochaine et mon cerveau ne se sentira en vacances que quand j'en saurai plus, le 10 juillet.



52 comments:

  1. Oh Magali I hope you get that letter! I love these photos. France is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magali, that Cottage de Substitution is GORGEOUS! The old stone is beautiful and will do for the time being! I really have a passion for ancient things because they feel grounded and have been there longer than me and will still be there longer than me....so gorgeous. Enjoy your time there as COTTAGE gets a face lift! Et ce petit lapin; je crois que c'est Pierre! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. De l'extérieur, cet ensemble de maisons est vraiment charmant.
    Cottage est en phase de reconstruction, cela va être beaucoup plus agréable à vivre que la destruction... Ah si, il reste encore une chose à détruire ou du moins à recouvrir : le beau lino !!
    Bon week-end !
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you have such a lovely substitute cottage to go to as work continues in your home, Magali! My fingers are crossed that your letter will come with good news.
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Qu'est-ce que tu vas apprécier ton cottage quand tu pourras le réintégrer.
    Très positif que les travaux avancent, je suis contente pour toi.
    Plein de caresses aux trois félins.
    Très bon weekend. Bisous. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Une maison dont tu partages le jardin avec un petit lapin ! C'est tout de même chouette ! Encore une bonne semaine de patience et j'espère que tu pourras regagner Cottage... même si tout n'est pas terminé ! Courage !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The substitute cottage is great and all the surrounding cottages so quaint and beautiful. Glad you have a great place to stay while your cottage is under renovations. Keeping good thoughts that you get your letter for next year soon. Have a great week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mince alors, c'est hallucinant l'état de ton cottage quand même !!!Peut être que tu devrais conserver un morceau du lino comme une trace du passé (rires), on faisait ça avant dans les vieilles maisons histoire de laisser une trace de son passage.
    Si tu veux je peux t'échanger les lessives par mes retraités d'à côté qui ne savent plus ce que c'est que de ne pas faire de bruit , Allez courage, bientôt tu pourras pendre à nouveau la crémaillère dans un cottage propret et charmant où il fera bon l'hiver venu
    @ bientôt et plein de pensées positives pour la rentrée prochaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troop tard! Je n'ai pas gardé le lino, j'ai gardé cependant, un bout d'ancienne moulure retrouvée au moment des travaux !

      Delete
  9. Such an adventure! I do hope construction goes quickly and smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your substitute home is definitely cute on the outside...and I trust your word not so much inside. I hope the other renters dont' do their laundry late into the night? I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news for you and next year. You live in such a beautiful country...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magali cada dia que pasa es un dia menos que tienes que esperar para regresar a tu cottage se que no es facil la espera pero pasara y un dia diras por fin no lo puedo creer ya estoy de regreso !!!! y contenta de ver los cambios- donde vives momentaneamente se ve agradable por fuera y deberia de haber un horarrio establecido para la lavanderia . Ten fe en que si recibiras esa carta y orare por eso. Yo creo que si deberias de cambiar el linoleum, tu decides- Bye y que tengas un lindo fin de semana nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly , me dieron la carta hoy y voy a trabajar en dos escuelas no demasiado lejos de casa, que me hace muy feliz .
      Magali

      Delete
  12. Hi Magali, living at the rental is short term and Shadow has new scenery to check out. Coming along with the renovation, looking good and the floor? Not so much;). I was looking at past kitchen posts and I love your thoughtful choices. Hoping you get some peace of mind from the letter. Have a beautiful day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floor is gone... I bet you'll be happy about it! I'm not saying a word about the "new" floor, though!

      Delete
  13. No, maybe not the lino. I'm sure you could sell it at a 'brocante'??
    Even if your substitute place isn't brilliant, as long as you have a bed, a bathroom and somewhere to sit, all will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your stay at the new cottage. I know you are anxious to get back home to your cottage. Looking forward to seeing the remodeling. Love the bigger window. I love to have all the drapes open and sunlight coming in.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Magali! My goodness, I have been gone from blogland much too long! Now you are renovating and living in a rental! Your little temporary barn home is very charming with the sweet rabbit friends, but it is not 'home', I know. It is so good to get your wiring and windows repaired and have a lovely new space for sleeping and showering. I wish you the best in securing a teaching post for next year! I hope that you are finding some quiet moments to relax. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy when the rewiring is done for sure. Right now there's no electricity upstairs at Cottage at all...

      Delete
  16. Hi....sounds like fake cottage is a nice place to visit but not live..it does have some wonderful surroundings by the pix..i love watching peter rabbit the cartoon with my youngest grand..i'd probably watch by myself if i happened to stumble on it when flipping through the menu..i am SO glad for you that the destruction is over..hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel before to long..hoping you get good news about school for the new yr too..the new window looks great by the way..i'm looking forward to seeing it finished..almost as much as you are =^)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cottage is so very cute, glad to see the heat has stopped, hard to accomplish anything in the heat! Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures. Happy 4th of July to you and your kitties! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat wave is indeed over and the carpenter has nearly finished his work... The plumber not so much!

      Delete
  18. Hi Magali, looks like more construction is going on. Happy to hear that it is not so hot. We have had record heats here as well, and my garden is suffering from it. The substitute cottage looks cozy to me, an OH, to be in the countryside is such a blessing! You live in such a gorgeous place!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  19. The farm buildings are so picturesque. I would not like hearing everyone do their laundry. I bet you cannot WAIT to get back into cottage, there is no place like home. Your rabbits look the same as ours, I thought maybe they would look more French :-)) Maybe no on the lino? So sweet you take walks with Shadow! I hope your letter comes with fantastic news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vote seems to be in favour of the "no" to the lino, I'm wondering why, it looks so vintage ;)

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um, no to the lino, you have much more taste! How long will you have to put up with everyone's laundry next door to the rental? Won't be long before you are back in the arms of Cottage xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to see the finished room... I know it is going to be just lovely. Your village is so beautiful. thanks for taking us along on another meander through your world. In you last post you showed pictures of some cottages that needed refreshing. Would so love to be able to be there and live in one of those. Then we could compare notes over tea and some of those great cookies you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and if you come here to renovate a cottage, I can totally tell which plumber NOT to work with ;)

      Delete
  23. You live in such a pretty place! I hope you get the letter you are waiting for. That must be so stressful each year. Enjoy your summer holiday though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cottage you are renting is so charming! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  25. The cottage you are renting is so charming! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  26. gorgeous, Maggy. I felt like I was with you looking at the cottages. I want to visit you soon! Miss you. Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  27. I salute your amazing courage and perseverance, and am so happy the heat wave is over, and school is done for the year!! Hopefully, that will make things a bit easier going forward. I also hope you get the postings you want for next year! Do you hope to remain in the same schools, or is that something that never happens? Anyway, best of luck with it!! Your own dear cottage must be quite amazed and delighted at the wonderful things going on upstairs, what an epic project!! Will you be pretty much done with indoor reno when this is complete? I'm sure you've said the answer to that question somewhere, but I can't remember it? Anyway, I'm so happy to think that you will be warm, and able to take a hot bath this winter, so lovely!
    Your emergency backup cottage is amazingly charming on the outside, in fact the whole drive around your area was stunning! Is it all so pretty? It must be lovely to live somewhere where there is so much beauty just on a daily basis! We do have lots of bunny rabbits here too, so many I don't have names for them, actually. I love your name, though, and must try to pick out a bunny to name "Jeannot" or maybe I will just call them all that? That would make it easier.
    I am almost to the finish line of unpacking, though I still have a ways to go. Maybe by the end of July, I hope, certainly by the end of August. I think of you often and am amazed by the size of the upstairs project. I hope you are fairly comfortable in your emergency cottage and that it won't be too long before you can go home. And of course, love to all the cats in their upheaval! Best always, Sarah Turkey Plate

    ReplyDelete
  28. Substitute cottage seems charming too Magali! Although I don't look forward to hearing anyones laundry! I'm glad that things are moving along with your cottage. I don't think you should keep the linoleum if your budget allows...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Iknow you are anxious to get home and looks like things are moving along nicely. Sounds like you are having a few relaxing moments and that is good but,know home is where are hearts always are. Can't wait to see all the changes,have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carpenters worked quickly and are almost done... The plumber has been putting tiles behind the bathtub for several days and still isn't done... I have no idea what he does with his time!

      Delete
  30. What a lovely area you are staying in. I'm sure that the walk that you have in the morning is so beautiful! So many lovely building around. Love it all. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm a bit late reading blogs so I hope the letter has come by now.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Je viens de lire les posts en retard. Non seulement ils m'ont fait sourire mais donné encore plus chaud avec tes allées et venues. Bon courage pour la suite....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oui ! il faut garder ce beau lino .............. d'ailleurs une pétition est en train de tourner sur le web
    Bon courage
    nicolette@sfr.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zut ! Je n'avais plus Internet et je n'ai pas vu cette pétition ! Trop tard ! Le lino est parti !

      Delete
  34. It can't be easy, not living at home and waiting anxiously to find out where you will be teaching next year. At least the surroundings of substitute cottage are lovely even if the inside is not so pretty - I imagine it's pretty bad as you didn't post any photos ?
    Fingers crossed for good news xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oui Magali, tu dois garder ce lino;)
    J'espere que il fera un peu moins chaud..
    Lapin, il est trop mignon.
    Bis d'Alsace.

    ReplyDelete
  36. PS-I see season two of "Witches of Eastend" is up on Netflix. I am currently going through all the episodes of "Midsomer Murders", looking at all the gardens and interiors, but when I get done with that, perhaps I'll give the witchies a try again, they still seem to be wearing fun clothes, at any rate. I've given up on Grimm all together, and am so embarrassed I even mentioned it to you, please forgive me! I can't wait for the next season of Once Upon A Time, though! Best always, Sarah Turkey Plate

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your new temporary home is lovely and just oozes 'European charm'..at least it does from the outside, but I can imagine may not be all you would hope for on the inside. No worries, as I'm sure that before you know it you will once again be home in your beloved cottage.

    I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that the letter you receive will bring good news.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Substitute cottage is just temporary, soon you'll be back at cottage and busy decorating. How nice to see Rabbit every morning! I wish for you good news in your letter ~ take care and have a lovely week. Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Glad to hear the renovation is going well. I'm sorry to hear you are so tired, hopefully now that you are on holidays you will fell a little more rested. The outside of your temp cottage look lovely, bunnies included. About the linoleum, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hope it's been better weather and you've gotten a lot done this past week. What beauty, everywhere you look! Take care! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  41. I certainly hope that you have had good news by now.

    The grounds of your substitute cottage are lovely, but I hope you don't have to be there too long.

    enjoy your time off from school.

    ReplyDelete
  42. All of the buildings on the property are so charming. Too bad your substitute cottage isn't as charming on the inside, but at least you're just there for a little while :-) And you have a bunny! It looks like there's been some good progress on your cottage. Hope it all goes smoothly and you're back home soon.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.