Sunday, October 23, 2016

Just So Me

A Project Finally Completed!



When I bought Cottage, it had a nice very old dark blue gate. But as many things in Cottage years ago, it was all in the looks and up close the wood was rotten and it all fell apart within the first year. 

Quand j'ai acheté Cottage, il possédait un vieux portail en bois bleu foncé. Mais comme beaucoup de choses avec Cottage au début, si le portail présentait bien de loin, de près le bois s'est révélé pourri et le portail est tombé en lambeaux au bout d'un an.

As I was in the middle of a huge interior renovation, I bought the cheapest gate I could find to replace the original gate, painted it with white paint I had on hand and hoped it would last a little.

Comme j'étais en pleine rénovation de l'intérieur de la maison, j'ai acheté le portail le moins cher possible, je l'ai peint avec de la peinture blanche que j'avais sous la main et j'ai espéré que cela tienne le coup un petit moment.

 
It lasted exactly that: " a little". But after I don't know how many trucks came through the gate to bring the kitchen cabinets, the insulation, the drywalls, the new doors, the new bathtub (what? Did I say "bathtub"? Darn, this was a secret as the bathroom is as far to be finished as I am to receive an oscar...), the gate said "I can't do it anymore" after the first winter storm last February.

Cela a duré exactement ça : "un petit moment". Mais beaucoup, beaucoup de camions sont passés par là pour apporter qui les meubles de cuisine, qui l'isolation, qui le placo, qui les nouvelles portes, qui la baignoire (chut, c'est un secret...)  et à force d'être heurté de toutes parts, le portail a fini par dire "je n'en peux plus" à la première tempête de l'hiver dernier.

 
For a little while, I couldn't make up my mind... See, I have a huge project for Cottage's entrance, but was it wise to spend all my money in that project when the inside still needs so much work? On the other hand, spending money on an other very cheap gate that would last only two years didn't seem very wise either.

Pendant un moment, je ne savais pas quoi décider... J'ai, vous vous en doutez, de grands projets pour l'entrée de Cottage. Mais était-ce bien raisonnable de mettre l'argent là dedans alors que l'intérieur est encore loin d'être fini ? D'un autre côté, racheter un autre portail premier prix qui ne durerait lui aussi que deux ans, était-ce bien plus sage ?


So I decided to with a middle solution. I ordered the gate from the carpenter that created Cottage's dormer windows, hoping it would be good quality, but I didn't create my dream entrance. 

Je me suis donc décidée pour une solution entre-deux. J'ai commandé le portail au menuisier qui a fait les lucarnes de Cottage, espérant que la qualité soit au rendez-vous, mais je n'ai pas créé l'entrée de mes rêves qui devra attendre encore un peu.

The gate is very simple with straight lines and it looks like old gates around here. I thought that was fitting for Cottage. But obviously it needed my "me" touch and I chose to paint it a blue that I thought worked perfectly with the colours I have inside Cottage.

C'est un portail très simple aux lignes droites mais qui ressemble aux vieux portails que l'on trouve dans les alentours, ce qui m'a semblé convenir pour Cottage. Il a quand même fallu que j'y mette ma touche personnelle en choisissant une couleur qui s'harmonise avec les teintes qu'on retrouve à l'intérieur de Cottage.

 
Right now grey is all the rage for gates around here, so trendy people have a grey gate and if people are traditionnal, their gate is painted a dark blue that we call "Breton blue". My gate is unique and the only one this colour in the neighbourhood. It just makes me smile when I come back from work and stops the car to open it. It's just so me!

Autour de chez moi, les gens ont presque tous des portails gris car c'est la dernière mode. Ceux qui restent insensibles à la mode ont des portails du bleu breton traditionnel. Je suis la seule de la rue à avoir un portail bleu clair. Je ne peux pas m'empêcher de sourire quand je rentre à la maison et que j'arrête la voiture pour ouvrir le portail. Ce portail me ressemble (enfin, je suis un peu moins large).

 
Apparently I forgot to take before pictures, but this is a wood gate and I applied four coats to it: a protective coat and three coats of paint. If anyone is wondering, it's Dix Blue by Farrow & Ball (who else?). The first coats were really long to apply (why did I choose such a huge gate, again?) and I mostly worked on this project on Sunday afternoon if it wasn't raining. So it took quite a while, but my goal was to have it done before the first winter storms and it's done!

Bon, apparemment,  j'ai oublié de prendre des photos "avant" peinture. Mais c'est un solide portail bois qui a nécessité quatre couches : une couche de protection et trois couches de peinture. Le coloris est Dix Blue de Farrow & Ball. Les premières couches ont pris beaucoup de temps (mais quelle idée, aussi, de prendre un si grand portail...) J'ai travaillé les dimanches après-midi quand il ne pleuvait pas, c'est pourquoi cela a pris tant de temps ! Mais j'ai réussi à finir avant l'hiver, ouf !

 
Now, apparently Piano is quite in love with the new gate as well. You might remember me writing about that old stray cat who only walks on three paws... He came to steal some food from my other cats every now and then, spent some time in the garden and then disappeared... Well, since the gate is painted, he's decided to stay at Cottage a lot more and took the habit to sleep on the door mat, which I didn't really like. So I put a cardboard box in the front porch for him and after three days he finally understood it was for him. Now he spends his days and nights there... that is when he's not eating!

Il semble que ce nouveau portail plaise beaucoup à Piano. Je vous ai sûrement déjà parlé de ce chat errant qui marche sur trois pattes et qui vient souvent voler de la nourriture dans les gamelles, passer un peu de temps au jardin avant de disparaître... Eh bien depuis que le portail est peint, il a décidé de s'installer et il a pris l'habitude de dormir sur le paillasson. Je lui ai installé un carton dans la véranda et il a mis trois jours à comprendre que c'était pour lui ! Maintenant, il y passe ses journées et ses nuits... quand il ne mange pas ! 


You may have noticed that the porch's door is in a pitiful state. You may also think that the shutters now aren't the same colour as the gate... But up close they are in the same pitiful state as the porch's door... Many projects for the future, but now as the days are shorter, I think it's time for a tea break... Projects will start again when spring comes!

Vous vous êtes probablement aperçu de l'état désastreux de la porte de la véranda... Vous vous dites aussi que les volets ne sont plus assortis au portail... Mais si vous les voyiez de près, ils sont dans le même état que la porte... Bref, beaucoup de projets sont en prévision, mais là, les jours se font courts, il est temps d'apprécier une pause thé et de recharger les batteries pour attaquer les projets au printemps prochain !


See you next time,

A la prochaine fois,

 
PS: I'm looking for something prettier to use as Piano's box in the front porch, since it looks like he's willing to stay...

PS: Je suis à la recherche de quelque chose de plus joli à utiliser comme panier pour Piano car il n'a pas l'air de vouloir s'en aller...

62 comments:

  1. Magali!!!!! I love your color choice. With the white of your cottage, the aqua is perfect. Breton Blue is also a classic choice and for me, any shade from the dark to the lightest aqua always works for me! I am glad to see you are still working on projects; we too never stop and are expecting the delivery and installation of a new door for the kitchen leading out to the garden. A home always needs attention! Be well and have a great week at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the gate looks perfect and it sounds like something everyone has there , here you rarely see them - I think it looks great. I love that tea pot you show in the final photo - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great great gate!Now I know when I sing with my pupils the Gg song ( Gate, gate, gate the gate of the garden is great!Great ,great,great, the gate of the garden is great!) I will always have your gate (pattern and colour) in mind! Great pattern!Great colour! Ci=ongrats! Now a couple of notes for you!I am sure you have already thought of them! I love the doorbell!It needs a new rope though!And You also need a new number plate!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gate! As always perfect choice and color! I also love the pull bell! And a tub? Can't wait for spring to see the bath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! The bathroom has been an ungoing project since the original tub needed to be removed to add some insulation...

      Delete
  5. I love this and I love that it is the only one painted this color. I also love that you gave Piano a box on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. la couleur est magnifique, un bleu doux et très plaisant à l'oeil, un très joli choix
    je n'avais pas remarqué que la porte de ton sas était aussi abîmée, ça ne doit pas être agréable lorsqu'il pleut, la pauvre doit en prendre plein son grade ;-)
    Cottage change beaucoup au fil du temps, c'est beau, c'est joli, c'est cottage quoi
    @ bientôt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La petite véranda prend l'eau par en bas et par en haut... Elle protège quand même les chats qui en ont fait leur dortoir, mais je rêve, bien entendu, de la rénover. J'ai déjà fait passer un câble vide pour pouvoir y amener l'électricité plus tard!

      Delete
  7. I don't know what your original vision was for this entrance, but what you've done looks just about perfect to me. Love the gorgeous color, and the scale is just right.

    How sweet that piano now has a home! If you get him a fancy box, watch out. He may end up being like a child who doesn't care about the expensive toy inside the box,,,just the box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magali,
    I love love love the color of the gate. It is beautiful. Love that you let your personality come through in your cottage and do not do what is trending. Love your new little fur friend. You are the best to give him that little box to nap in on the porch.
    Hugs,
    Happy New Week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Magali:
    You are an inspiration to all of us. It is amazing all the things you have accomplished and your style is so wonderful. We each have a style and our homes a personality. We just we decided the same - time to put some things on hold now till spring. Yesterday we did put up a huge arbor in our back yard and I think that will be the last major project for the year. I wish you could have come to my tea - that would of been great fun to show you my tea room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous and you can never go wrong with my favourite colour!! What a sweet little cat, too. Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice gate and it's always good to stand out from the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your carpenter is a talented kinda guy, and your color choice is gorgeous!..The bathroom??? Hmmmmm Looking forward to that. I love the entrance to your yard. It looks like a secret garden....guess that's why you have an adorable new-old guest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ton portail est magnifique ! Il fait très "cosy" et très robuste aussi. Mais quel courage tu as eu pour lui donner toutes ces couches de peinture... avec toujours ta peinture Farrow and Ball. Si cette marque devient connu en France, il me semble que tu y seras pour beaucoup ! Et les petits biscuits ont l'air bien bons aussi... Bises

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the gate! The style and the color are perfect. How lucky you are to have found a talented carpenter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His only problem is that he's often late... The gate was supposed to be delivered in June for me to paint it during the summer...

      Delete
  15. The gate is perfect beside the cottage. I am taking notes of the paint colour - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The gate and color, gorgeous! I've been wanting to paint my front door a new color (it's been red for almost 20 years) and I was thinking a blue color, something to hint at the new grey color inside. Maybe some close shade of your color would work. I love your color and the gate and it is so lovely attached to cottage. Bet cottage was pleased:) Looks stunning Magali.........

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Magali, I don't know when I first started receiving your blog and I have enjoyed every post and always look forward to new posts...I do enjoy reading updates on the cats and am pleased that PIANO has a warm, soft box to snuggle in and food to eat-it warms my heart...
    I always enjoy the renovation projects on your cottage...I adore the colour of your gate and its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty and calming. With vibrant flowers near that color would be breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful colour on the gate! We have 2 three legged cats and can they run, they are indoor cats and they love to sleep in their cat beds or a wicker basket that I have with pillows inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piano can run as well, but obviously, he's getting old (everybody in the neighbourhood knows him, but nobody can tell me how old he is) and he spends most of his days lately sleeping.

      Delete
  20. Hi I was just thinking about you I Love when you show up a day or 2 later...Love that color I used one very similar in my bedroom..Great minds as they say..an how nice for piano that you're such a sweet girl..giving him a nice safe inside haven..hope you've had a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It suddenly occurred to me as I was reading your blog this morning, that I don't comment. Since I imagine it's rewarding to at least hear from your readers occasionally, I thought I would comment and let you know how much I enjoy following along as you renovate your beautiful home. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me such a sweet comment!

      Delete
  22. I can't imagine anything more perfect for Cottage than this gate. I think it is a Forever Gate and the color is beautiful. I'm glad Piano has finally decided to trust you; he looks like he's had a hard life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour was a test and now I think when I change the shutters, I'll paint them this colour!

      Delete
  23. Oh, Magali! It's fabulous!! That is my favorite color other than pink. What a gorgeous color for a gate. It is such a handsome gate too! Great choice! Thanks for stopping by. I always love to check in with you and see how the cottage is coming.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love your gate, the style and the colour, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The gate turned out so pretty and I love the blue color. It looks amazing. Maybe a little wood crate for Piano?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the color of the gate and everything else about it. It is lovely. My suggestion for Piano is to ask your carpenter to make him a house with a weather flap on it for winter. Piano has come home! He loves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The porch is in a bad state, but it's enclosed, so Piano has a nice shelter there for winter... And he doesn't mind the ugly box... I do!

      Delete
  27. Piano was lured in by the lovely color of the gate. I agree with above - a tiny cottage for Piano would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this blue; it's understated but makes a statement! The wrought iron fishing boat/door bell is adorable and pays a pretty tribute to your fisherman's cottage!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  29. The gate looks great, Magali, and I love the color! It's nice that it stands out in the neighborhood as being completely different. The best part is that it makes you smile every time you see it! That's a successful project! Piano looks quite comfy, and I don't think he's going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! If it makes you smile after a long day at work driving up to the gate, why the heck not! You rebel:). The blue is perfect for Mr. Charmer. Maybe have some sort of cover for Piano during the winter storms.
    A spot of tea is lovely for your winter break Magali, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The porch is enclosed, so even if it's in a bad state, Piano will have a shelter for the winter. I take "rebel" as compliment, so thank you very much ;)

      Delete
  31. Hi Magali - I love the new blue gate...just lovely. The sailboat bell is so cute too. Your tea table made me smile. And as for Mr. Piano...he is definitely there for the long haul - a tough guy with a kitty heart.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your gate is beautifully made and the color you chose creates a nice welcome home to you and your visitors, Magali!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that you and cottage are unique and I love the shot of cottage and the gate.

    Your home is magical!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Magila, you are going to LOVE your new gate. I put one like yours on my old house and it was so nice, and it stayed nice looking and I could lock it. I really like the color to. Have a merry week! xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  35. I simply love the blue shade you have chosen for your gate ... it's perfect.
    I too would smile if I was driving up to it!

    Ooh! That teapot looks most inviting ... which reminds me, I think I need to go and put my kettle on too!

    Enjoy this last week of October

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teapot was a second-hand find and as it has very dark brown flowers on it, I love using it this time of year.
      Magali

      Delete
  36. Magali me encanta el color que elegiste es precioso te felicito...;) nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Nelly. Probé cuatro muestras diferentes de azul antes de elegir este.

      Delete
  37. Your gate is beautiful, Magali and I think it is the perfect color for 'cottage'! You are so kind to adopt the little orphan :) Who wouldn't want to live in such a sweet home? xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cat can communicate with each others... Mine must be bragging around that they have a good life because all the neighbourhood cats want to come to cottage. Last winter, a beautiful cat settled for a few weeks here and then I found out he belonged to a nice grandmother living two streets away!

      Delete
  38. Your blue gate is gorgeous! I absolutely love the color. Gray would be boring. ;-) Piano is such a handsome kitty - and I love his name. I wonder if he's a stray or if he belongs to someone and he just likes staying at your cottage for awhile? He looks very comfortable in his box. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Un joli portail qui convient bien à ta maison. Chez les marchands de légumes tu pourras trouver un cageot en bois qui une fois peint en F & B assorti au portail sera du meilleur goût pour ton squatter (sourire!).
    Bonne soirée.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cottage se distingue une nouvelle fois par son joli portail bleu-vert d'eau, quelle belle harmonie cela formera avec les futurs volets !!! (un bémol toutefois, des ferronneries "écru" plutôt que "noir"...)

    la dernière photo du portail, du voilier/cloche et de la jardinière/numéro de rue est trop chouette !!

    Piano a-t-il été adopté par les Chats de Cottage ?

    bonnes vacances !!
    monique59

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think your new gate is simply perfect, Magali. And it would be terribly plebian to paint it a similar colour to others in the neighbourhood - though if you're planning on marrying a lighthouse keeper, you may need to consider international orange and white (provided Farrow & Ball can oblige) :-) x.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think your new gate is simply perfect, Magali. And it would be terribly plebian to paint it a similar colour to others in the neighbourhood - though if you're planning on marrying a lighthouse keeper, you may need to consider international orange and white (provided Farrow & Ball can oblige) :-) x.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fun color for the gate - I love that you picked something original, but I'm not surprised! The bell is great too. Piano is cute, and I'm glad he found a home.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the gate and color! Piano appears to be very safe and content!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Piano a dû tomber raide dingue de la couleur du portail. On voit qu'il et heureux chez toi.
    En tout cas j'aime beaucoup la couleur de ton portail. Plein de caresses aux griffus. Bisous. Babette

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.