Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Brittany Kitchen Story: Oven

The Kitchen Cabinet Reveal - 3 -


First, a huge thank you to all of you who took the time to write sweet comments on my last post where I explained what choices I had made for the sink side in my kitchen. It meant the world to me.

Tout d'abord un grand merci à tous ceux qui ont pris le temps de laisser un commentaire à la suite de l'article précédent dans lequel je vous montrais le côté évier de ma cuisine.


After spending hours loading pictures, I'm going to try to explain what my choices have been for the oven side.

Je vais aujourd'hui vous expliquer quels choix j'ai faits pour le côté four.

Just a quick reminder of what it looked like before the remodel.

Un petit rappel de ce que j'avais avant.


Here are my seven little secrets on how I managed to make this small space become big!

Et voilà mes sept secrets pour rendre cet espace pratique.


1. Just like on the sink side, I knew I had to hide the ugly, so I had a little cabinet custom made for the electrical panel.

1. Exactement comme pour le côté évier, j'ai d'abord pensé à cacher les choses moches. Un petit placard a été fait sur mesure pour le tableau électrique.


2. My second big splurge was the little shelves on the far right of the wall. Usually, kitchen designer add a little plank when you have a cabinet against a wall so it has room to open without bumping in the wall. But when I saw the drawing the designer showed me, I thought "where am I going to store my apron? or my bottles?"

2. Ma deuxième grosse dépense, ce sont ces petites étagères tout à droite. D'habitude, les cuisinistes utilisent des fileurs entre les murs et les placards pour nous permettre de les ouvrir sans buter contre le mur. J'ai trouvé que c'était de la place perdue et j'ai fait construire des étagères. Je range là mes bouteilles, mon tablier, mes maniques... Je ne sais pas où je mettrais tout ça sinon!


So I had those little shelves built instead.


Just for those who are wondering, my Papy is already there in the kitchen, above the light switch. You can read the story behind that picture here.

Pour ceux qui se posent la question, mon Papy a déjà retrouvé sa place dans ma cuisine!


3. Some of you were wondering where my fridge was, it's in that tall cabinet!


The freezer is in the cabinet under it. I do understand that big stainless steel fridges are all the rage... But I'm alone with three cats (who can spot a Felix cat food can in the fridge?), so I don't need a big fridge.

3. Je sais que la mode est aux grands frigos, mais moi, seule avec trois chats (qui aperçoit une boîte de Félix dans le frigo?), je n'ai pas besoin d'un immense frigo et j'en ai donc choisi un plus petit que j'ai caché dans un placard. Cela rend les choses plus uniformes et la pièce paraît plus grande.


4. I'll show you in a moment that I did indulge in some drawer cabinets as I read everywhere that they are a lot more practical. But I chose to save some money to the right of the oven with a door cabinet.

4. Je vous montrerai dans un moment que j'ai cédé à la tentation-tiroirs, mais à droite du four, j'ai opté pour un placard-porte beaucoup moins cher.


I "created" drawers inside it, by using two crates. A wine crate on top and an old vintage limonade crate on the bottom shelf.

J'ai "créé" moi-même des tiroirs à l'intérieur en utilisant une caisse de vin pour ranger mes épices et une vieille caisse de limonade pour ranger mes bouteilles.


5. On the other hand, I asked for a drawer to be added under the oven. There I store the grids I'm not using. This is an expense I don't regret at all.

5. A l'inverse, j'ai fait rajouter un tiroir sous le four. Je ne le regrette pas car c'est très pratique pour ranger les grilles que l'on n'utilise pas.


6. The corner was quite tricky, but I had seen a corner cabinet I loved at Ikea.

- Please imagine here picture of said cabinet lost in my recently deceased laptop - But basically, my picture was something like that.



6. Le coin était bien problématique dans une petite cuisine. J'avais repéré le placard ci-dessus chez Ikea et je trouvais qu'il était assez bien pensé. Mais le cuisiniste n'était pas emballé par ces charnières. Du coup, je lui en ai fait créer un dont les deux portes s'ouvrent chacune dans un sens.


The kitchen designer was less than enthousiastic about the idea. So I went on Pinterest and found  corner cabinet with two doors opening each their way.


The designer already confessed that he has since reused this idea in an other small kitchen.

Le cuisiniste m'a avoué avoir déjà réutilisé l'idée dans une autre petite cuisine qu'il a eu à faire.

7. The drawer cabinet. Following advice I had read on blogs and my Mom's, I decided to pay for one drawer cabinet and so far I like how easy it is to find my pans stored there.

J'ai suivi l'avis de beaucoup de blogs et de ma Maman et j'ai investi dans un casserolier. J'en suis très contente. Je peux y ranger toutes mes casseroles et même ma cocotte-minute!


I lined the drawers with wall-paper to protect them. Besides a little toile can't hurt, can it?

Je l'ai garni de papier-peint pour le protéger. Et puis, un peu de toile de Jouy ne fait jamais de mal.


So, this was the oven side! You may have noticed it's a little low on upper cabinets... It was a way to save a lot of money, but also a way to put my own personality in the kitchen... I have a few "ideas" waiting patiently in the second bedroom aka storage room that I find the right moment to hung them.

Et voilà! Nous avons fait le tour du côté four. Vous avez sûrement remarqué qu'il manque quelques éléments hauts... C'était une façon simple de limiter le budget de la cuisine, mais aussi de rajouter ma touche personnelle. Quelques unes de mes "idées" attendent sagement dans la deuxième chambre/débarras que j'ai le temps de leur trouver la place idéale.


Now, let me just finish the school year and I'll add a few more things to the kitchen. Don't you dare to wish me some happy vacation yet... School year in France will only be over on July 4th. I'm so happy by the way that so many Americans are willing to organise a party for that very special day for me!


Je vais essayer de finir mon année scolaire sans travaux pour une fois et je me remets au boulot côté cuisine une fois les vacances arrivées! Encore un mois exactement!


See you soon,

A bientôt,



PS1: I'm so sorry I'm not as often on your blogs as usual. The old computer is very slow to open new pages and sometimes it just won't send my comments. I'll be back as soon as I have the new computer. I'm waiting first for some money from the insurance company. I should be receive 80% of the value of the computer I lost, which is really not bad.

Je suis un peu absente de vos blogs ces derniers temps car mon vieil ordinateur est très, très lent. Mais je devrais revenir dès que j'ai le nouveau... J'attends juste que l'assurance m'envoie ce qu'elle va me rembourser: pas la totalité de l'ordinateur perdu, mais plus que ce que j'espérais!


PS2: Computer permitting, I'll be linking to some parties!

Lavender Garden Cottage                          

53 comments:

  1. I love it! You're doing so well with that kitchen of yours!!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has turned out so beautifully Love how you hide you frig, I have stainless steel and have never liked it, but it matches my professional stove. I like the open area without cabinets, shelving would be great, the open area also helps you kitchen seem larger. PS1 - I also love your soup tureens! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing the progress you are making - the white looks so clean and fresh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your choices are fabulous, and your kitchen is designed for YOU, and that's how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hide my fridge behind a door as I think the whole kitchen looks much neater. You've made some more great choices and although having less wall cabinets has saved you money, I also think it makes the kitchen look bigger and as you say, you can put up other things, like open shelves maybe ?
    Toile inside your drawers and cabinets - love it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Very cute and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your white kitchen cabinets with white door will make the kitchen looked so amazing. Wood material usually will be used for the custom kitchen. If you want to make the modern kitchen, the glossy door will be suitable.
    modern-kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many great ideas for small kitchens at work here. I am jealous of the corner cabinet and the cabinet with drawers. My corner cabinet is a black hole from which it is a pain in the arse to extract anything. I also like your ingenious idea to use crates as drawers in the other cabinets. I used to do that before I hung my crates on the wall as shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems you've thought of everything Magali dear! You totally maximized your space and made it prettier to boot!! Woohoo!!!! I can't wait to see what you do with that huge expansive wall and also, love how you did the corner cabinet, now the kitchen designer learned a thing or two from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's coming together so well!! And I love your toile-t paper! hahaha!! :P Your cabinet hiding the electrical box is quite clever.

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, I just read Andi's comment. snort. What a nerd. Okay, I have to admit I laughed...a bit. I really like what you've done and I think the corner cabinet trick with the doors swinging opposite ways is genius. You've really made some great improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's looking very Country Living. So many good ideas for a small kitchen. We too had a cabinet fr the electrics, had the enclosed fridge, and love my pan drawers too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After looking at your pictures, I changed my birthday wish-list, and replaced all items that I wanted by just one: a country kitchen!! LOL I hope my family will be creative in their search for nice stuff ! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can always send me a secret email of they need inspiration ;)

      Delete
  14. beautiful and practical. Kitchens in Italy are pretty small as well, so people really have to make the most of the space they have. I love how yours turned out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I just love your kitchen. You thought out everything - and it works so beautifully. You made great choices.
    I understand about your computer - I need a new one also and I dread of going shopping to get a new one and have all my stuff loaded on the new one.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite has to be the corner cabinet idea - brilliant. Love the last photo from the chair's point of view. I see that kitty eying the chair for a nap. Beautiful job, Magali.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such clever ideas you have! I love the fridge hidden behind cabinet doors, and the slim shelf beside it is genius, as is the corner cabinet. It is looking so good Magali...great job on it so far!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's coming together beautifully Magali - love the hidden fridge - do you have a freezer? Or is that on the bottom half?
    In that Ikea kitchen photo it shows my wine storage I put in my kitchen lol - universal !
    And I just love how your rocking chair fits in !
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Franchement, tu as mis des mois et des mois pour finaliser ton projet, mais le résultat est superbe... avec quelques étagères en bois en éléments hauts, ce sera sublime ! J'aime beaucoup tes 2 vieilles soupières blanches !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you have made great choices. I have a corner cabinet like the one from Ikea but I like yours even better. Good for you for giving the contractor some new ideas.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your kitchen. I really like the red knobs. It's a perfect little cottage kitchen. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! The knobs were actually an other way to save money.

      Delete
  22. You have done such a fine job maximizing your space while making it look larger. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the stove side of your kitchen too! The cabinets are perfect and everything fits beautifully. I am surprised your designer did not want to do a corner cabinet and your solution is lovely! I assume they have inserts available so that if you wanted to add the carousel later you can. I did that with our previous kitchen as I cannot bend with my old knees to reach the back of the cupboard. I wish you many happy years of cooking in your new kitchen. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute and cozy, you made excellent choices. I love the fridge cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina! The hidden fridge helps the kitchen look larger.

      Delete
  25. Your kitchen is perfect! I love your fridge cabinet, and the cupboard over the electrical box is genius! Drawers rule!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Et bien voilà une affaire rondement menée. C'est vrai qu'il ne reste plus qu'un mois d'école. Vite vite il va falloir que je me sauve à la montagne sinon je vais être envahie par les vacanciers en peine de logement.
    Pour l'heure J'y monte dès demain matin car je viens de passer trois semaines surchargées, j'ai fait les comptes de mon grand frère dont je suis la tutrice au juge des tutelles, j'ai ensuite passé 8 jours au jardin pour tout taille, arracher les buis décimés par la pyrale, du coup je transforme mon jardin fleuri en jardin sec ce qui évitera les arrosages, j'ai planté dans la foulée des pittosporums nains qui font de splendides buissons, j'ai toiletté mes trois chiennes et j'ai déménagé plusieurs meubles que je monte dans ma petite maison au bord de l'eau. Mon repos sera bien mérité avant d'attaquer les super vide greniers qui se passent dans la montagne où je fais chaque année le top des affaires. J'adore être très occupée. J'ai fini mon bla bla bla et te souhaite une excellente soirée. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! J'adore! I definitely can see you in there. Such a far cry from that little kitchen in Paris. Can not wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am amazed with all you have done with that kitchen. How wonderful it must be to be at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow, what an improvement!
    Looks great!
    Love the lemonade drawers;) Cool idea.

    I like my brick backsplash too;)

    You`ve got a rgeat blog, by the way

    Love & hugs
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit back, Lydia!

      Delete
  30. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you continuing to post with your very slow old computer!! Every kitchen choice you have made is just perfect, I love in particular the double door corner cupboard and the toile liner!So elegant! Plus, seeing what's going on in your lovely kitchen is sometimes the only thing that's keeping me going, I feel like this process I'm in will never end sometimes, and it's hard to keep going, but looking at your lovely kitchen and reading your posts gives me hope that at some point I will get to the end of this and move on to the next thing, and it will be lovely. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything is coming together beautifully. Sorry to hear about your laptop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. The laptop situation explains my fewer visits on blogs...

      Delete
  32. Such a pretty kitchen renovation, Magali! You've made some smart choices based on what will work best for you--well done. I like that neat corner cabinet setup you have--very clever way to make the best use of the space.

    ReplyDelete
  33. waouuuuuuuuu!! c'est trop beau! super travail, repos bien mérité!! bisous du sud! Mylène

    ReplyDelete
  34. Voilà un chantier que tu dois être heureuse d'avoir presque fini. Les vacances seront amplement méritées.
    Bises, Emmanuelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wowza...it really is coming together so nicely Magali. It all looks as though it was meant to be. That is when I feel a kitchen really works...when the design looks original to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi! I'm back. I think I have things under control here with 2 kids that I can now find some time at least once a week to read blogs. I'm going to have to go back and catch up but I thought I would go ahead read your newest entry. I love your cabinets. They look fantastic. The big drawers are the way I hope to go when we build. I do love what you did with that corner cabinet. I have an awful time trying to get to the back of the corner in the cabinets we have. I feel like a contortionist trying to maneuver in to get things when I need them. Luckily I only keep stuff there that I don't use much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's wonderful, Magali. Thoughtfully done and executed beautifully. The little shelves to the right of the refrigerator are a brilliant idea. So clever. I love it all. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. It was a lot of planning, but it was worth it to have what I need rather than what the kitchen designer thought would be great...

      Delete
  38. Oh, Magali it is turning out sooo cute! I love that two door corner idea! I may have to steal that one, LOL!
    Yours is the cutest sweetest little house ever!!!
    Big hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dear Magali,
    I love your kitchen, your ideas about using space and saving money, but mostly the charming atmosphere! I am very late with my comment, now waiting for the next post... I hope, you will find time, but understand, that the last weeks of the term are most stressfull.
    Have a nice sunday!
    Yours Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it all, Magali. Been catching up today on all I've missed.
    I personally prefer a cabinet or white appliance to a stainless steel...I just swim against the current that way. ;) Which is why I also prefer a small galley kitchen to a baseball field sized one with an island in the center the size of another kitchen. teehee And if by now all this has not given my preferences away, I don't like stone counter tops either. lol Oh my, I'm such a rebel. :)
    Always a pleasure visiting with you.
    xoxo's

    ReplyDelete
  41. Une cuisine ingénieuse: l'idée de remplir intelligemment les fillers, le placard d'angle qui est habituellement une prise de tête...
    Et avec raison tu t'es laissé la possibilité de poser des étagères différentes en élément haut!

    ReplyDelete
  42. As usual Magali all is perfectly thought out and executed. Love how you've lined the cupboards and no cabinet drawers could be as good looking as the ones you've installed!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.