Thursday, March 12, 2015

Going Home With Me

A Little Kitchen Update - March 2015


For the whole post, you'll be kind enough not to judge the non-staged state of the pictures... I'm sick and I just couldn't concentrate on anythingwhen I realised I needed to snap a few more pictures for this post. I snapped the pics while my eyes cried for no reason!

Je vous préviens, je n'ai pas eu le courage de faire de belles mises en scène avec fleurs, tasses et tout le tralala pour cet article... J'ai les yeux qui pleurent en permanence, reste de virus de grippe, et j'ai donc plus ou moins appuyé n'importe comment sur le bouton de l'appareil photo en pestant!

Do you remember when I repainted the chair in front of my kitchen window?

Vous souvenez-vous de cette chaise que j'avais repeinte et qui est devant ma fenêtre de cuisine?


I now love that spot and the cats think it's the perfect chair to cuddle with me while I sip a cup of tea... that I have no idea where to put while someone purring requires my attention.

J'adore cet endroit et les chats ont élu cette chaise le trône à câlins. Il y en a toujours un qui vient me rejoindre quand je sirote une tasse de thé... Mais quand le félin réclamait toute mon attention, je ne savais pas quoi faire de ma tasse de thé.


So I used an old stool that I have and that is my very first ever paint project. It's not very beautiful, but it turned out very useful either to put a cup of tea or to step on it to grab something on the last shelf of the cabinets.

Du coup, j'avais descendu de ma chambre un vieux tabouret qui avait été mon tout premier projet de peinture. Très vite, il s'est aussi avéré très pratique pour atteindre la dernière étagère des éléments hauts de temps en temps.

Still, I couldn't help but think that a stool with a round shape and three legs would be a lot more elegant... Something like this...

Mais, je n'arrêtais pas de me dire que quelque chose de plus rond, potentiellement tripode, serait beaucoup plus élégant... Un peu comme ça...


This is the item I noticed in the "vide-grenier" I told you about in my previous post, the item I didn't buy, the item that waited all day long for me to come back for it, the item that was meant to go home with me!

 Eh oui, voilà l'objet que j'avais repéré dans le vide-grenier dont je vous ai parlé dans mon précédent article, l'objet que je n'avais pas acheté, l'objet qui m'a attendue toute la journée, l'objet qui de toute évidence était fait pour retourner à la maison avec moi!


Much more elegant, but a little too dark, isn't it?

Plus élégant, mais un peu sombre, non?


I went through my usual hesitation "to paint or not to paint"... I'm always so afraid to ruin things.

Comme d'habitude, je me suis demandé pendant plusieurs jours s'il fallait peindre ou non. J'ai toujours peur de gâcher les meubles.


A little sanding and a coat of primer later, there was no coming back... It always looks ugly after the primer and it's the moment I think "what have I done?"

Un peu de ponçage et une couche de primaire d'accroche plus tard, impossible de revenir en arrière... Au stade de la sous-couche, je me dis toujours que j'ai fait une erreur!


I was out of my usual "Pavilion Blue" so I used Farrow & Ball "Pale Powder" instead. It's just a tad bluer and softer, really lovely and then I used All White to do the stripes.

J'étais à court de ma teinte habituelle "Pavilion Blue" et j'ai donc utilisé "Pale Powder" qui a juste un soupçon de bleu supplémentaire et est un poil plus douce. Les bandes blanches sont en All White, comme le fauteuil.


The stool took one coat of primer, two coats of paint and three coats of clear topcoat.

En tout, il aura fallu une couche de primaire, deux couches de peinture et trois couches de vernis mat.


I'm not a huge fan of heavy distressing (sorry) and I believe it has something to do in living in a very shabby Cottage I'm trying to nurse back to health. But I figured the stool would get regular use from me and the cats, so I decided to anticipate and very, very slighly distress it, so the first claw print in it won't show so much.


Je ne suis pas la plus grande fan (désolée) du style shabby à la peinture artificiellement très vieillie. Je pense que cela est dû au fait de vivre dans un Cottage bien vieux et bien défraîchi auquel j'essaie de donner un petit coup de neuf... Mais je savais que le tabouret allait être utilisé intensément aussi bien par moi que par les chats... Alors, j'ai très légèrement enlevé un soupçon de peinture à certains endroits, ainsi le premier coup de griffe dans mon "œuvre" sera plus discret!


The neighbour's cat was very, very interested in the whole process...

Le chat de la voisine a eu l'air fasciné par toute l'opération...


So, was I right to bring that little stool home?

Alors, ai-je bien fait de ramener ce petit tabouret à la maison?

See you soon,

A bientôt,



PS1: No cat food was hurt during that makeover.

PS1: Aucune boîte de nourriture pour chat n'a été maltraitée pendant ce projet.

PS2: Obviously, my patio was a mess when I did this project...  I could apologise and pretend it was just that day, but hey, I'm busy with the inside of the Cottage for now!

PS2: De toute évidence, la terrasse était en bazar pendant ce projet... Je pourrais vous faire croire que c'était exceptionnel, mais soyons réaliste, je ne peux pas rénover l'intérieur et l'extérieur en même temps!

PS3: I do read your posts, but forgive me if I don't comment for a little while. The flu makes my eyes cry and it was already difficult to type that post!

PS4: I'm linking with a few great parties!

Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150        Oh! THAT DIY Party at diyshowoff.com            By Stephanie Lynn


The Dedicated House       The Dedicated House         Inspire Me Monday Link Party                              




87 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty. Your neighbor's cat is hilarious. There is a cat that recently starting sleeping in my potting shed as if we invited him/her to stay. (There is no door.) I thought at first our cats had invited it, but he is causing fights. My point is that he looks at us, and doesn't even budge; so he is not threatened by not knowing us. Cats are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lovely stool. The neighbors cat is too darn cute peeking through the window! I hope you feel better soon...rest dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you are under the weather. I feel like I am fighting off a cold. Love the new stool with its curvy little lines and three legs. Take care of yourself.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better, only a little tired. I hope your cold is gone as well.

      Delete
  4. Feel better soon! That little stool is adorable, as is your visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a perfect thing to bring home, and looks transformed now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My neighbor's cat ends up on my window sill frequently. I love my little visitor. I hope you feel better soon. I am glad you went back for the round stool. Maybe the square one will work somewhere else in the cottage?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your neighbour's cat is gorgeous! Great post full of humour and yes, that stool was meant to come home with you. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you're under the weather! Allergies do that to my eyes and it's so miserable. I absolutely think you did the right thing with the little stool. It is perfect for the space. It is very similar to one I have. Hope you feel better soon!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tu as BIEN fait d'avoir ramené ce petit tabouret! Magnifique, Magali! Et je te souhaite un bon rétablissement! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. The answer to your question is, "Yes, absolutely." A good job - but then we expect no less... I was sorry to hear you've been unwell (get better soon), but distressed as well? That's too much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You totally did the right thing Magali! I love it and I love the stripe. I finally realized why I have a hard time distressing....I think it's the same reason as yours. Happy weekend and feel better my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adored your lovely pictures, no need for perfection! The stool was a great find and your makeover made it even more beautiful. My favorite picture is the one of your kitchen window, I imagine myself sitting there and looking out at the world, just dreamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spot is definitely a favourite of mine, also because it's in the only finished room in Cottage!

      Delete
  14. j'adore ton tabouret, tu as très bien fait de le prendre et de l'améliorer
    très bonne idée que la tienne, bravo pour le boulot
    bonne après-midi (avec le soleil en prime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Le soleil est parti et j'avais prévu de la peinture en extérieur.... Zut! Avec cette bruine, impossible!

      Delete
  15. It's gorgeous. I don't like heavy distressing either - it's too much! A little bit to make a piece look well-loved is perfect!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Moi aussi, j'adore ton petit tabouret !... et le regard du chat est adorable aussi ! Sûr, il aimerait bien prendre pension chez toi. Il sent que c'est une bonne adresse pour les câlins sur le fauteuil. Bises

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want that cat to live next door to me! i also love the stripes, well done and I hope you get better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat is obviously looking for a new home, you can come and invite him to live with you if you want !

      Delete
  18. The stool is so cute, and its new coat of paint is perfect for your cozy kitchen spot! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already feling better, just very tired. Thanks a lot for stopping by!

      Delete
  19. It's much prettier painted! I love your spot by the window. Our kitchen is very small and I love sitting in the corner, next to the window. There's something snug and happy about sitting there! :)
    Enjoy,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some friends thought it was ridiculous to have a chair in the kitchen, but many of them enjoy sitting there while I cook!

      Delete
  20. Hi......i'd say you were spot on to grab that stool..i love that whole little nook..the shelf the curtain placement the whole area..especially the raised panel "walls" at the window..if i ever have a home built i want those deep window sills like cottage..i don't know if you call them sills there..an the neighbors cat is hilarious..nice they all get along..the cans were a great idea to get the legs off the ground..happy to know they weren't harmed..now i hope you get better very soon.!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your stool, it looks wonderful. And the cat made me laugh. Hope you feel better soon. Wendy J

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks lovely! I admit I have the same fear so I avoid painting furniture!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a perfect little spot you have created there. Hope you get lots of rest this weekend and "pull out"!

    ReplyDelete
  24. No doubt about it - you did the right thing in painting the little stool. I love the stripes. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no, sounds like you have a bad cold, sure hope you are feeling better now. Yes, that little table is prefect for your coffee/tea cup while you give the cat a back rub. Sometimes we have to think before we know it's suppose to go home with us! Take care......
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Magali, cuddle amongst your blankets and kitties with tea and honey. Love your adorable painted stool, perfect addition in your seaside cottage kitchen. Be well, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's drizzling here today, so no painting project: I'll sip tea and cuddle with the cats instead!

      Delete
  27. Love your stool,glad you went back for it,it is a lovely piece. Get well and feel better. Magali i love the area by the window,it looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a favourite place of mine as well... Maybe also because it's in the only finished room!

      Delete
  28. Oh, yes, that stool is a prize!! Looks so cute in your kitchen too!! Love the cat watching you........hope you are getting better......now rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is perfect and you did a beautiful paint job, love the stripes! I hope your eyes and the rest of you are back to good health soon. Hugs, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tu as bien fait de prendre ce tabouret et de le peindre. Je trouve qu'il avait l'air un peu triste dans sa couleur sombre, il est beaucoup plus beau comme cela. Craquant le chat du voisin !
    Bon courage avec cette fin de grippe.
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Je le trouve super ton tabouret & très bien relooké.
    Le légèrement usé juste ce qu'il faut où il faut lui donne du cachet, j'aime bien.
    Le chat du voisin ne serait-il pas en train de repérer les lieux pour une éventuelle migration ?
    Caresses aux félins.
    Bisous bisous Dame Magali. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  32. The cat in the window looks like he is saying "Hello". So cute. I enjoy your blog and your stories of renovation. The stool is just right and looks so pretty. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat comes to say hello at least once a day! He loves Cottage!

      Delete
  33. Bonjour !
    Faisant suite à votre petit message sur mon blog, je découvre le vôtre avec beaucoup de plaisir !
    Beaucoup de talent et d'idées dans ces pages !
    J'ai répondu, mais tardivement, au commentaire que vous m'avez laissé.
    Toutes mes excuses pour ce "délai", mais le temps file trop vite...

    Bonne soirée !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comme c'est gentil d'être passé par là! Merci pour vos conseils sur l'escalier.

      Delete
  34. I love your pretty windows! The ones in my apartment are the cheap ones that I hate.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the stool in it's new colors. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  36. yes, you made the right decision, it's more elegant and the circle softens the area. You did a really good job painting and love the colors and grain sack feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like it much better painted white with the blue strips. Great job!!!
    Even your neighbors kitty liked it. What a great place to sit and look out the window and have a cup of tea.
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  38. Le tabouret a bien meilleure mine depuis qu'il a été adopté par Cottage !! Les couleurs, les rayures... tout cela est parfait pour une petite maison en bord de mer - Vos efforts sont récompensés... mais est-il prudent de l'utiliser pour atteindre les étagères supérieures ? bon rétablissement - cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le tabouret a retrouvé une nouvelle jeunesse et il est assez stable pour juste atteindre un paquet de farine de réserve car les trois pieds sont assez évasés... Il faut juste mettre le pied bien au milieu!
      Bon week-end!

      Delete
  39. Magali, I love your cozy little nook, so inviting. The stool is perfect for the space. Do be careful though. I have a three legged stool and have found that they tip over very easily and you could have a bad fall. Keep the four legged one around to reach up into the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I'm carefully because I'm prone to accidents, but the legs are wide enough to make the stool not too dangerous!

      Delete
  40. I definitely remember that chair Magali, and thinking what an appealing little spot that was. I agree about the rounded shape of the 'new' stool looking much better. I always prefer rounded lines to sharp ones anyway.

    The cat in the last pic is a riot! Such a great expression :).

    I hope you're feeling better?!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Dear Magali, I am so sorry to hear that you are ill. Not fun, but just think that you have that darling window to sit by and soak up the sun with a cup of tea and you kitties. You did a great job on the stool and the color is perfect! Take good care dear friend. I'll keep you in my prayers. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  42. I hope you are feeling better now! You did a wonderful thing bringing the stool home - a sweet addition to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good health to you. I guess if you live with distressed, you do not have to add more. Love the color, the shape and the stripes of the stool. Great transformation. Kitty approved.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hope you are feeling a lot better now, at least recovering well ! Spring will bring more power to our bodies soon ! Have a nice weekend ! Marcey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better, a little tired and not to my usual energy level, though.
      Enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  45. This is my first visit and both the photos and that glimpse of your home look lovely to me.
    I hope you're feeling better! Well enough to enjoy the weekend.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  46. I found you again! Let me explain ... one day a few months ago, I found your blog somehow, and I spent a couple of hours scrolling through your posts ... and I enjoyed myself so much while I was here. After that, I couldn't remember the name of your blog, which made me sad to think that I couldn't continue to visit here regularly. A chance encounter with your link on French Country Cottage this morning, and I'm back!! Right now, I'm going to put a link to your blog on the sidebar of MY blog so I don't lose you again.

    Have a great weekend. I hope you feel better soon.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh, you had to get it! So perfect in this spot for tea with kitty! I love it!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  48. You did a wonderful job, I love the stripes and the subtle distressing, and it looks perfect in your kitchen.
    Sorry to hear that you're under the weather, I hope you're having a restful weekend and getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a friendly neighbor! The stool is perfect. It was meant for Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Magali! Yes, it is already a LOT of work to just copy and paste the posts sans photos onto word documents. Then to take new photos, format then get ready for the publishing....but I am determined! Thank you for coming by! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  51. Replies
    1. For some reason, your comment never made it to my email box and I just found it! Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  52. I like your new stool, especially the legs. Yes, sometimes my cats make some mark on my furniture just for fun. I hope you will get better and the flu will over soon. keep healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Yes, you were right to bring it home! LOVE the stripes! Hope you are feeling better, Magali!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Cottage has become such a bright and sunny place !! Enjoy spring time, Magali !! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yes! I love that stool! And I also love the color you chose and how you painted the stripes on top. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the design of the stool. The color you chose is perfect.

    And, I appreciate the lesson I learned about putting cans beneath the legs when painting. Why have I never seen that before?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Yes, you did the right thing in bringing the stool home, and the work you have done to it is brilliant. Sorry to hear you are unwell, and I do hope the flu leaves you soon. Take care and have lots of rest xx

    ReplyDelete
  58. It is interesting how you managed to turn everything inside in white, and how gorgeous the place looks now.
    I feel like I want to move there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Good Morning Magali. You were so right to bring that lovely stool home. Love the legs and detail to it. It looks great. Love that cute window in your kitchen. What a lovely spot.
    Have a great week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  60. You were absolutely right to bring that darling stool home. With your lovely painted touch it is now perfection! I also have to say that I love your cafe curtain window treatment.
    Thank you so very much for your input on painting my front door. Alas, rain is predicted through Tuesday but it WILL eventually be done!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  61. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The stool is perfect, and yes, you were right to bring it home.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Definitely Magali!!!! And I love how you painted it too!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love your little stool! And I laughed at the cat food...I used Eddie's dog food cans as props when I paint chairs too!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  65. Non seulement tu as bien fait de le rapporter mais bien fait de le peindre. Ce que je trouvais moche n'était pas tant sa couleur que son brillant.

    ReplyDelete
  66. You didn't ruin this at all, you did a beautiful job. Love the addition of the stripes, it really adds something to the stool. Looks like a perfect spot for a cuppa. Had to laugh at your nosey neighbour!!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.