Monday, March 30, 2015

Smash The Ceiling

The Dining-Nook Transformation - episode 3 out of ???

The Ceiling Situation



The dining-nook is a very small nook and let's be honest, it used to be a bedroom and it was not oozing charm when I bought Cottage.

Le coin salle-à-manger est tout petit et pour être honnête, c'est une ancienne chambre qui ne débordait pas de charme quand j'ai acheté Cottage.

I'm not going to lie, I was very disappointed that Cottage had none of his original features except for its walls and its damaged staircase.

Je ne vais pas vous mentir le fait que Cottage n'ait rien gardé de son charme d'origine à l'exception de ses murs et de son escalier en mauvais état me décevait beaucoup.

But since I guessed the upstair floor didn't hold itself my magic, I suspected there were beams somewhere, even though the downstair ceiling looked like that when I found Cottage. The picture is actually of the living-room ceiling, but you get the idea...


Mais comme je me doutais bien que le sol de l'étage ne tenait pas par magie, je me disais que sous ce magnifique faux plafond en placo, il devait y avoir des poutres. (Les photos du faux plafond sont prises dans le salon, mais cela vous donne une idée.)


I paid someone to smash the drywall on the ceiling because I was afraid it would come down in chunks that would be too big for me to handle.

J'ai payé quelqu'un pour enlever ce placo car j'avais peur qu'il ne parte en grosses plaques impossibles pour moi seule à retenir.


But no one wanted to remove the hundred of screws that held the drywall for a reasonable price. So I took my dad's old and heavy electrical screwer and got to work. I kept all the screws in a box to "see" my work and marked down each and every screw removed on a list... It really helped me keeping my motivation when I couldn't feel my arms anymore.


Bizarrement, ni les menuisiers ni les peintres contactés ne voulaient retirer les centaines de vis qui avaient retenu le placo pour un prix raisonnable. Je me suis donc armée de la vieille et lourde perceuse-visseuse de mon papa et je me suis mise au travail. J'ai gardé chaque vis et j'ai même fait une liste pour me motiver quand je ne pouvais plus sentir mes bras!


I believe I still have that box somewhere...

Je crois que j'ai encore cette boîte quelque part...


After a little sanding, the ceiling was painted with All White by Farrow & Ball. I'm not compensated for giving the name of the paint (unfortunately), but it's probably the most frequent question from my readers... and even my neighbour came recently to ask me the name of my white paint!


Après un ponçage, le plafond a été peint avec All White de Farrow & Ball. Je ne reçois (malheureusement) aucune compensation pour nommer la peinture, mais c'est une des questions les plus fréquentes de mes lecteurs... Même ma voisine est venue récemment pour me demander le nom de ma peinture blanche!


Uncovering the ceiling truly changed the atmosphere in the room. It added a lot of charm to a dining-nook that was just "blah" and it also gave a sense of "openness" by pushing the ceiling a little higher. It's only a few inches, but in a room  that is so small, it does make a difference.


C'est une transformation qui a eu un bel impact sur la pièce: cela lui a apporté un peu de charme et cela a aussi permis de la rendre mois étouffante.  On n'a gagné que quelques centimètres en hauteur, mais dans une pièce aussi petite, cela compte!


You can see on the pictures that the walls are only primed... There's obvisouly still a lot to do in this room... The next project I'm supposed to show you is linked to the only tiny window of the room and requires me to get the sewing-machine out... I'm not sure I'll ever get it done! The blog might just stop right here and there!


Vous remarquez peut-être dans ces photos que les murs sont juste sous-couchés et non peints. Il reste beaucoup à faire dans cette petite pièce. Le prochain projet que je voulais vous montrer exige que je sorte la machine à coudre, qui n'est pas ma meilleure amie... Il est possible que je n'en ai jamais le courage et que ce blog s'arrête tout bonnement là!


Or do you really want to see more of that window?

Vous voulez vraiment en savoir plus sur cette fenêtre?

See you soon,

A bientôt,


PS: Spring is only a word here: we have regular showers and high winds like only the coast knows... But I'm going to keep my spring cleaning series going. So after showing how things should be done in my last post, let me show you how things are really going on at the Cottage... Please remember to multiply the cat by four...

Le printemps n'est qu'un mot ici pour l'instant. Il pleut et le vent est violent comme il sait l'être sur la côte... Mais je continue vaille que vaille ma série sur le ménage de printemps. Après vous avoir montré ce qu'il faut faire dans mon message précédent, voici la réalité au Cottage... N'oubliez pas de multiplier le chat par quatre...



PS2: I'm sharing this post with:

Dwellings-the Heart of You Home   Ivy and Elephants          Savvy Southern Style           

65 comments:

  1. Magali, I am just in awe of your vision and finding the ability and ways to implement your outlook for your cottage. You, I am sure are such an inspiration to others renovating. Well done and the word 'beautiful' applies to all your photos. I am sure your parents are so proud of you! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to see more of the window. LOL. Seriously, I love windows with deeper wells like that. Exposing the beams was brilliant. Love the All White -- Farrow and Ball has great colors. The cupboard is exquisite. I don't remember seeing that piece before. Is it a new acquisition? xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je me souviens de l'épisode des vis... mais tu ne dis pas combien tu en as enlevé ?... Le résultat est superbe ! J'adore aussi tes lustres relookés. Je manque seulement de courage pour faire pareil !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat yourself on the back for each and every screw you removed from that ceiling! You are to be commended for your all of your hard work. I love that you left the beams exposed, and the white really brightens up the room. I'll be waiting for the next installment! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Que de travaux dans ton joli cottage et comme il est joli maintenant
    J'imagine quelle horreur ce fut de devoir enlever les traces du passé ;-)
    Si je peux faire une proposition, tu devrais rajouter des petites pampilles sur ton lustre, ça donnerait un air romantique et ajouterait à mon sens à la joliesse du lieu
    Bonne semaine à toi et bon courage, ici vent et grand soleil (la météo avait annoncé la pluie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Il reste encore beaucoup de choses à enlever à l'étage... et beaucoup de travail dans ce petit coin repas... Y compris s'occuper des luminaires ;)
      Magali

      Delete
  6. I do NOT envy you that work - I hate ceilings, they make my neck ache just thinking about them!! That being said, this was so worth the effort. You took a bland, boring space and gave it so much character and beauty. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh!!! It's so much more beautiful now. Please, oh please, do share more. I know how much work it is to build a home from scratch, and I have heard that it is much harder to renovate a home. But how BEAUTIFUL yours is becoming with each and every project your take on! So please do share more!
    Hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much hard work, Magali, you have done a beautiful job. Your main floor is looking so nice and bright and now loved. I love the old hutch in your diningroom with your china. So cozy. We took a gamble on this old house, hoping that under the old plastered ceilings there were beams. Such a messy job but so rewarding as the rooms feel bigger with the extra ceiling height. No Spring here yet, we actually had snow again. Wishing you a good week and mild Spring weather. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that ceiling!! I was considering the same thing when we finally reno our living room. Such a gorgeous room with great vision you've created Magali!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.....i can only imagine how your arms felt..not only screws..but..screws with anchors.! you did a Fabulous job..an your hint about the window..yeah i'd like to see what you do with that now too..spring has not sprung here either..it was 23* saturday at night..when it's warmer..it's raining..hope you have a great week..looking forward to your next visit..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds a hard work, but nice result! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems a hard work, but nice result! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It came out beautiful, and it was so worth the effort. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really did a wonderful job on the ceiling. That was a lot of hard work, my hat's off to you. It looks so much better and I know you are happy to get that checked off your list.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that was a great idea to open up the ceiling and I love the beam which give such great character. Doing anything on the ceiling is a pain in the neck! But your hard work paid off! I know how much opening a ceiling can add to space, we did that in our kitchen and bedroom. I stumbled upon this poem today and thought of you, I'm sure you've already read but just in case.


    The cottage by the sea Poem by Esme Shaw

    Come my love and live with me
    In a sweet little cottage by the sea
    Where roses grow around the door
    And flowers bloom for evermore
    Inside my cottage clean and neat
    A big brick fireplace will give out heat
    Outside the birds will sing all day
    And on the beach the children play
    So come my love to the cottage by the sea
    And see how happy we will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that poem is too romantic? I like this one better...

      Little perched cottage,
      at the foot of grassy cliffs,
      looming over seas.

      Delete
  16. It looks very good! I admire your persistence with the drywall screws!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lot of hard work but, oh so lovely.Your cottage is coming together wonderfully and yes i love every picture you want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Working on the ceiling it the hardest of all but for sure your work paid of for this room!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Magali you have done such a beautiful job on your little cottage. I'm sure that someday's you question why, but when it is all said and done you will have a sense of satisfaction beyond belief. Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. You truly amaze me, Magali... So much hard work, but look at all you have accomplished... It looks wonderful!
    I think you need to take a little break.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I actually took a break in winter when days are too short and school work too long to find any time to do anything at Cottage! Now I need sunny days for a little painting project I have in the garden!

      Delete
  21. "Cottage" sera ton meilleur ami pour la vie étant donné tout ce que tu as fait pour lui. Le plafond de la salle à manger est juste parfait.
    Caresses aux bébés chats. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  22. il ne pouvait y avoir d'autre plafond que celui avec des poutres apparentes !! bravo d'avoir affronté les travaux !
    cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'avoue que j'étais ravie de pouvoir faire apparaître ces poutres, d'autant plus que celles de l'étage vont devoir en partie disparaître sous l'isolation!
      Bonne soirée,
      Magali

      Delete
  23. Dear Magali,
    I am really,really very impressed! After all those screws a bit of sewing will be allmost recreational...So, spring isn´t with you and not with us either. Just where is it hiding? I wish I knew...
    Nervertheless I wish you happy easter-days!
    Yours
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your ceiling turned out very charming, Magali - I think that your sore neck and arms were worth the effort! Now I am curious to see what is outside that window.....It is a nice and bright window for your sweet dining room. I love your china. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My readers convinced e to go back to work on that window! More to come soon!

      Delete
  25. Hi Magali, your renovation of cottage is very captivating. I love reading the comments, your readers are so supportive and given you such wonderful ideas. I love the poems Cathy wrote on her comment too. Seaglass dining set? Cottage is grateful and will shelter you and the kitties. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dining set is indeed going to be painted, but I have no idea when that will happen... Maybe in August?

      Delete
  26. Your hard work and vision is paying off - the ceiling is beautiful. I love the deep window and would not get a sewing machine near it. Perhaps some wisps of antique lace on vintage swing arms.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The new ceiling really has character. Of course we all want to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My dear Magali, your transformations are always so much fun to see because I get so thrilled to know that we can make such a difference with our own hands! Our salle à manger also was a bedroom once, but you'd never know that now! I love your beams and all the nuances you have added are cozy, wonderful and SO CHARMING! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a difference you have made in the dining nook. Well, all throughout Cottage, actually. I want to see more of the window, but also through the door! The buffet and hutch are beautiful. And don't think I am not drooling over that scale sitting ontop of the hutch. Spring is being elusive here in the midwest, Illinois, too. Looking forward to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scale was one of my first vintage find for Cottage. News about the window and the door as soon as possible (that can take a while...) Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  30. Absolutely - you did a terrific job and revealing those beams and adding great charm!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always enjoy your transformation posts even though it requires a tremendous amount of patience to wait for the reveals! Good thing I'm a kindergarten teacher which means I have a LOT of patience....lol! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, my arms would have fallen off! Lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Me encanta tu blog y especialmente tu casita te felicito y me quito el sombrero por el trabajo tan duro que has hecho con el techo te admiro ha quedado muy bonito y te dire que si quiero ver mas y me gusta tu ventana, :) nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Nelly . Voy a tratar de trabajar en la ventana siguiente fin de semana !

      Delete
  34. You are amazing, Magali! What a job to take on. But not that you've forgotten the pain you must be happy every time you are in the room. For myself, I'm still spring cleaning. I've decided that I must be living in a mansion, it doesn't end.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is amazing how much work has gone into making your cottage so beautiful and charming! I can't imagine removing all those screws. Love the ceiling now, especially with those beams. I also noticed the beautiful vintage piece of furniture that holds your blue and white dishes. It is so pretty and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have done a beautiful job and I know Cottage appreciates you removing each and every itchy screw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cottage and I both appreciate the new ceiling... Now we need to work on the upstair ceiling... It won't be as fun! Thank for your kind words.

      Delete
  37. Your ceiling is sooooo charming now!!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your hard work paid off. I never would have thought to remove the drywall from the ceiling, but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Kudos for your courage, Magali!! You have taken on some very challenging work and succeeded in making Cottage look very beautiful and fresh!
    Happy Easter!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Merci pour cet article et pour cette nouvelle vidéo !!! À bientôt, Flopsy

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes of course, show us the window !
    I'm amazed at what you've achieved so far, you know I love your ceilings and what you did was so worth it. I could remove the ceilings here and I would have beams but then as I now have no carpet upstairs I'd be able to look straight through the floorboards and actually the ceilings would become too high I think, still I shall always be jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Magali, c'est pas vrai! Oui a cacher cette jolie poutre?
    Chapeu bas por toi!

    ReplyDelete
  43. As for me, I'd love to see more of that charming cottage; it's beautiful! Good for you...taking out all the screws and for saving them...motivation times a LOT! It's always so satisfying to do something ourselves, especially when we think we can't. Or, even worse, someone else tells us we can't. grrrrr. That makes me want to MOVE and get it done! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh how I enjoy stopping by and visiting! Potential is everywhere! Oh what a difference opening up the ceiling makes! Wish you were close! Bev in the Treasure Coast of Florida, USA!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Perhaps you should let the paint co know you are promoting their product and how much you like it. They may well provide you with some paint. The ceiling was worth all that work. It suits Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Dear Magali,
    I am so happy you enjoyed Bebe... Thank you so much for your most welcome visit.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  47. All your hard work and creative efforts were so worth it Magali. It looks amazing, and I'm sure cottage appreciates being restored so lovingly.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Magali, I love that you removed the ceiling. It did give that room so much charm. I love the exposed wood. Ahem, don't forget another link party you can join. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. The exposed beams make a huge difference! You must feel great satisfaction every time you walk in there. YES, I want to see about the window!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh those exposed beams Magali - just beautiful !
    And I also love that charming little window - ( can't imagine it as a bedroom - but it's makes the perfect dining room/nook )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh those exposed beams Magali - just beautiful !
    And I also love that charming little window - ( can't imagine it as a bedroom - but it's makes the perfect dining room/nook )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ack! Those beams are in good shape! I wish! Ours are termite-eaten and grooved from the sanding we did to remove the paint. Still not sure where we're heading with them. I think I need some of your white paint, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some irregularities in the beams, but overall, they were a good surprise in the sea of bad surprises I've had with Cottage!

      Delete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.