Saturday, February 06, 2016

Can't Get Colours Out Of My Head

A Little Dining-room Update


My dear readers, here's today dilemna : to show you or not the progress I made in the dining-room. I know you're all waiting for pictures, but I couldn't take pictures this week.

Mes chers lecteurs, me voilà face à un dilemme. Vous montrer ou non l'avancée du projet dans la salle-à-manger.... Je sais que vous attendez les photos, mais je n'ai pas pu en prendre cette semaine.

 

I do have the non staged pictures I took for me to document the progress... They are not blog worthy pictures, the table isn't properly set, the dishes in the hutches aren't ready as I was just emptying them to change the decor... But I have nothing else, so in order to keep my promise to show you the chairs, those pictures will have to do.


J'ai des photos version "brute de décoffrage" prises au fur et à mesure de mon travail... On y voit les buffets en cours de décoration (traduction: vidés de leur vaisselle), une table pas mise, mais une pause thé improvisée... Mais, bon, je n'ai rien d'autre, alors je me résous à vous montrer ces photos.

Please, don't call the pretty blog police!

Merci à vous de ne pas comparer avec les blogs aux photos toujours parfaites!

So back to the story of the dining-room.

Bon, retour à la transformation de la salle-à-manger.

Some of you who are very long time readers may remember that when I was looking for the perfect paint colour for my kitchen walls, I tried three different samples on the walls.


Ceux qui sont des lecteurs de très longue date se souviendront que lorsque je cherchais la couleur idéale pour les murs de la cuisine, j'avais testé différents échantillons sur  les murs.

I was in love with the three colours, but decided to chose the palest one for the kitchen walls, still a little sorry not to use the other two gorgeous ones.

J'étais tombée amoureuse des trois couleurs, mais j'avais opté pour la plus claire d'entre elles pour les murs de la cuisine, même si cela me fendait le cœur de ne pas utiliser les deux autres.


This year, I decided to complete the dining area transformation by painting the table and the chairs. The table has been covered in white and it made me fall in love all over again with my table, plus it added a lot of light to the room.

Cette année, autre projet, transformer le coin repas en peignant la table et les chaises. La table, c'est fait ! Elle est recouverte d'un blanc qui illumine toute la pièce.

 
I was very indecisive about the chairs. I loved the look of chairs painted in different colours, but I was afraid it would look a little "busy" in such a small room. That's when I remembered that the three samples I had tried on my walls a few years ago looked great together, since they were basically the same colour, but with more pigments in each one. All I needed was one more colour to realise the idea...

Pour les chaises, j'étais beaucoup plus indécise. En découvrant des photos de chaises peintes chacune d'une couleur différente, j'ai été séduite par cette idée. Mais j'avais peur que cela fasse très fouillis dans une pièce aussi petite. C'est là que je suis retombée sur la photo des trois couleurs testées pour les murs... Elles allaient plutôt bien ensemble puisqu'en réalité, il s'agissait des mêmes couleurs avec plus ou moins de pigments colorés... Il ne me manquait qu'une teinte.


I bought two cans of a very pale seaglass colour: Pavilion Blue (the one on the kitchen walls) and Pale Powder (the one on the kitchen stool) and two darker colour: Teresa's Green ad Green Blue. 


J'ai donc acheté deux pots très pâles : Pavilion Blue (la couleur des murs de la cuisine) et Pale Powder et deux pots plus foncés : Teresa's Green et Green Blue.

 
I know the difference doesn't always show well on the pictures, but I love the result in person and I promise better pictures as soon as the sun comes out on a day I don't work (is that TOO much to ask???)


Je sais, la différence n'est pas flagrante sur les photos d'aujourd'hui mais j'en promets de meilleures dès qu'il réussit à faire beau un jour où je ne travaille pas (est-ce vraiment trop demander?)

 
I plan on very lightly distressing  the edges of the chairs on some places like I did for the table... But again I need a day without rain or without the crazy wind we have today...


Je prévois de très légèrement faire ressortir le bois sur les arrêtes des chaises, comme je l'avais fait pour la table. Mais là encore, j'ai besoin d'un jour sans pluie et sans le vent délirant d'aujourd'hui...

 
I see this combination of very similar colours as a collection of seaglass. I understand it might not be for everyone, but this blog is not a magazine blog, it can give you ideas what you'd like... or what you wouldn't like for your home. Me? It makes me smile every time I turn my head to the dining area! 


Je conçois cette combinaison de couleurs très similaires comme une collection de bouts de verre poli par la mer. Je comprends que cela puisse ne pas plaire à tout le monde, mais ici, ce n'est pas un blog de magazine... Moi, cela me fait sourire chaque fois que je tourne la tête vers le coin repas.


So would you have tea with me sitting on my newly painted chairs?


Alors, accepteriez-vous de prendre le thé sur mes chaises fraîchement peintes?

 
See you soon,

A bientôt,





PS1: Just in case you had any doubt, all paints and primers used for this project are from Farrow & Ball. I just love how subtil they are, not blue, not green, just like the sea in Brittany.

PS 1 : Si vous vous demandez quelle marque de peinture j'ai utilisée, ce sont des teintes de Farrow & Ball. J'adore leur subtilité, ni bleu, ni vert, exactement comme la mer en Bretagne.

PS2: Just in case you didn't know, Farrow & Ball has issued nine new colours this week, they sent me the new colour cards... And I'm not sold yet on the new colours... Maybe if they sent me free samples, it would be easier to make up my mind... What? It never hurts to try!

PS 2: Si vous vous demandez si je vais vous parler des neuf nouvelles couleurs de Farrow & Ball découvertes grâce à la réception, le jour même de leur lancement, du nouveau nuancier de la marque, c'est non... Je ne sais pas encore trop quoi en penser... Peut-être que si Farrow & Ball m'envoyait des pots d'échantillon, ce serait plus facile de me faire une idée. Ben, quoi ? Cela ne coûte rien d'essayer !

PS3: Just in case you were wondering why I don't blog as often lately... French schools are going through huge transformations right now, making everything difficult - even sleep at night! Please ask our minister to stop that madness so I can blog again. What? It never hurts to try!

PS4: I have a random picture of Shadow, taken as he was trying to photo bomb in my dining-room shots.

PS 4 : Une petite photo de Shadow, prise alors qu'il essayait de se mettre sur toutes mes photos!


PS4: I'm sharing this post with some bloggy friends (Shadow isn't too happy about Brenda's dogs):

That DIY Party @diyshowoff.com          http://www.cozylittlehouse.com/2016/02/tweak-it-tuesday-179.html              My Show and Share Party                       

http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.fr/2016/02/make-it-pretty-monday-week-168.html    Elizabeth and Co.                     http://mstoodygooshoes.blogspot.fr/      



67 comments:

  1. Love the chairs, Magali. Such a great idea to use the 4 colors. I love how your blue and white dishes look with the color of the chairs. It seems like schools in the US are constantly going through transformations in recent years and all the testing is crazy - it must be so stressful for the teachers. That's a beautiful picture of Shadow too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of white as you can use all kinds of color in the room - pillows, dishes etc without any clashing of the walls. I plan to pain my bedroom and have thought of the lightest gray I can find as I decorate with my hand made quilts that I make which are all colors scattered throughout the house and I change the quilts frequently in the bedroom and have them on a rack also in the room - I want no clash with the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very pretty. I have never liked the look of brightly coloured random chairs, but yours are so cleverly tied in to the same colour palette. You might have to rename your home...Seaglass Cottage?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute kitty! and I love your little dining room. I'll be right over for tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the look of chairs painted various primary colours, but I love your sea glass-coloured chairs. They are perfect for a seaside house. I am a collector of sea glass and I really think you've got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seaglass Cottage! How pretty! Your beautiful cat Shadow looks like my Tiger:)
    Love your choice of color and continue on or are you going to have 2 white and 2 painted chairs?
    Teaching is more than teaching students, it's all the continuous changes.
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two chairs that seem white on the pictures are actually a very light sea green, in person, it does look different than the table. I'll try to take better pictures, not sure I'll be able to show the subtil difference!

      Delete
  7. So pretty! I love what you have done. I really love that there is door to the dining room and the dining room is actually connected to the kitchen. I think that's the first time that you showed the whole two rooms from that angle. The work so well together. Have a wonderful week and hopefully, some sunshine! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Magali:
    I love how the chairs seats embrace the color of the hutch and the chairs are such a great shape! Everything flows together so nicely! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your choice of colours is perfect for there! I painted my workshop a pale turquoise that looks very similar to your wall colour and I really like it. Sometimes it almost looks white and other times much darker, do you find the same?

    ReplyDelete
  10. J'adore les nuances subtiles de tes chaises... et j'ai hâte de les découvrir "en vrai". Je pense que Farrow and Ball pourrait effectivement t'envoyer quelques pots de peinture, depuis le temps que tu parles en bien de leurs peintures ! D'ailleurs tu m'as convaincue et je n'utilise plus que cette peinture. Profites bien de tes vacances !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your kitchen, Magali and the chairs are great. No need for perfection, though, we're all friends here.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that I have been with you almost since the beginning. It has been fun to watch you and Cottage develop your relationship and seeing each room come together has been delightful. I love the soft colors you chose for the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chairs looks so cottagy and perfect with your table. I also love the wood pieces you have in there to add some contrast. I'm loving how it's coming together! Good luck on the school transformation issues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colours are so subtle that you can't really tell the difference! I like that!And I like the word sea glass you know that!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. C'est splendide! Absolument parfait!
    Tu n'aurais pas pu trouver mieux!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a GREAT idea!!! I think the chairs are beautiful and just right. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhh your chairs look wonderful! I love the soft sea Coles against the woven seats - gorgeous choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The chairs painted look so good! They really give a new look to your dining room. I love them with your white table and the natural hutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marci. Deciding not to go white wasn't easy, but I love the result!

      Delete
  19. I love the different color and they do look like a collection of sea glass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chairs in tones of sea glass look so pretty with your newly painted white table, Magali! And I love the dark wood piece next to the window and the architectural white painted piece over the door. So many gorgeous items to see in your pretty dining room! I like all your paint color choices and I hope Cottage does, too.

    I hope you're having a restful weekend and I'd love to stop by for a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quite brilliant! I adore the seaglass colors of the chairs and your beauitful white table. I envision tea yes and endless happiness for you in your dining room. The chair tones give themselves to all manner of possibilities of matching China, teapots and tablescapes. It's just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try using different collections of china in the coming months, but I have hope it'll work well because the chairs are light and not a definite colour, but rather an in-between blue and green.

      Delete
  22. Cou cou, Shadow!

    OHH MAGALI! Your selection of colors for the chairs is rich! At first I thought I'd prefer just white for the chairs (they look fantastic!) but seeing the combination of subtle colors really adds charm without the busy-ness of too much color. Bravo, well done and now for summer, you can add a class bowl of sea glass on the table or a white vase filled with an abundance of blue, pink or white flowers to add an extra kick of color IF YOU WISH. That is why I love white: you can add any color you want for all the seasons.

    BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So very lovely!!! You always seem to know exactly what to do for your cottage - and painting the chairs different shades was perfect and only adds to the charm of your sweet home. A very good decision indeed, and the perfect spot for a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. la photo des quatre pieds de chaise sous la table est superbe !!! et cette légende "Je conçois cette combinaison de couleurs très similaires comme une collection de bouts de verre poli par la mer" est si poétique... le résultat du chantier peinture et l'article sont une réussite : bravo Magali !!! les chats sont bien sages pendant les travaux, nous n'en n'avons pas vu tachés de peinture - bonnes vacances !! monique59

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really do love how you chose paint colors from the same collection. The subtle pale colors look so pretty, and make the space flow, I love it! I knew you would get it perfect and it looks awesome. You shouldn't worry about the pics, they are fine! Thanks for sharing your pretty space.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nicely done, Magali. I love the colors you chose. I scrolled through your post several times to drink it all in. The new colors tie in so well with your kitchen. I like the natural woods with the painted pieces. In my opinion that adds interest and warmth. I'm in love with the fabulous architectural pieces over your door and the opening to the kitchen. I don't know that I ever noticed them before. Did you add those? Is the hutch next to the dining room window a family heirloom? It's stunning. Shadow is a beauty, and yes, I will have tea with you. Thank you. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi...i love the chairs..an YES..i'd have tea..breakfast..lunch or dinner sitting right there..in either one of those chairs..i noticed shadow in one pic..i was going to say..what a show off..i haven't put my place back together since putting Christmas away..mainly because..i'm tried of looking at the same stuff i've had for yrs..an i haven't found new stuff to love..I think you should get some free paint samples too..it might be cheaper then paying you something for every time you mention..Farrow & Ball..hope your week goes well..our schools here started what they call..new math..it's TERRIBLE..there isn't one parent or grandparent here that can help their kid with math..without taking some math classes themselves..a 1 min problem takes 10 now..and they decided to start it with every grade..not just first grade the yr they started
    P.S. i'll let ya know when i'll be over for tea..pretty sure cottage will be completely done by then..i just added it to my bucket list =^)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very elegant and pretty! I caught myself wondering what the chairs would have looked like painted navy, since that is a hot color right now...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shadow est sublime. Tu as un bien joli ensemble ""salle à manger"", tes repas vont avoir une autre allure, c'est très sympa, j'aime.
    Es-tu en vacances?
    Belle semaine à venir. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tre's magnifique, that's it for my french. The chairs look beautiful and I don't mind one single bit if you post pictures you don't believe are "Blog worthy", because they are. I like seeing work in progress. Hopefully your school wotm will become less troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! The school thing is a huge transformation meaning less lessons of French to teach, meaning less jobs for teachers... I have no idea where I'll find a job next year... But hopefully, I'll find something!

      Delete
  31. Too bad I can't type. I meant school "work,"

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like the addition of color. All white looks so sterile. Pops of color warm it up!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So good to see handsome Shadow! Love your chair colours, they are perfect for the flow between the 2 spacrs. You did a great job, I know chairs are a lot of work. Soon your summer break (or Spring/Easter at least) will be coming, something to look forward to. We grab the sun when it shows, lots of grey days in winter. Hoping you are keeping well as you can with crazy work things happening that you have no control over. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love, love, love the chairs. Your sweet cottage is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love how you used the pale colors, its really very pretty and serene. The rooms flow together nicely!!! All the softness showcases the 2 beautiful antique pieces that add character to your rooms. Everything is 'blog worthy'.....real life!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Cottage is rather small and I think having rooms that flow together helps giving the illusion that it's bigger.

      Delete
  36. Superbe choix pour les chaises !Cottage devient de plus en plus cosy .Je ne connais pas cette peinture mais les teintes sont très belles et rappellent bien la mer .Espérons que la tempête qui arrive sur notre belle région ne fasse pas trop de dégats .Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ooh my goodness i had to scroll way down just to leave a comment. Lol But that's a good thing. Love the color for the table and chairs. Doesn't that freshen them up! And the kitty is dear!!! Meow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. I cant remember if I ever commented before but I am in love with Mr Cottage. The chairs are beautiful and if I could swim I would come for tea...I don't fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't fly, it'll only take you a little longer... Mr Cottage is only a few minutes away from the coast by foot... I'll wait for you there!

      Delete
  39. Your chairs came out so nice! I teach school as well and change is a constant thing. It makes teachers a bit crazy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW - I love your chairs. I love the subtle tones. Beautiful job.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  41. You have done a great work with the table and chairs!! Those colors are lovely! Thank you for including a photo of Shadow!! He is adorable! I hope your work lighten a bit. Wishing you sunshine days!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful chairs.... I love that you changed the shades of the chairs. They do look like pieces of sea glass. It would make me very happy to see them too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Coucou Magali,
    j'adore les teintes que tu as choisies, tu restes toujours dans le sobre et le charmant, un très très bon choix je trouve, surtout pour l'intérieur où on peut se lasser très vite des couleurs trop tranchées
    J'ai reçu la newsletter de Farrow & ball mais impossible de pouvoir commander leur nouveau nuancier, je suis un peu agacée par leur site qui ne fonctionne pas toujours comme il faut
    Bon courage pour ce début de semaine, les vacances approchent
    @ bientôt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,
      le site en anglais de Farrow & Ball fonctionne mieux. Si tu m'envoie ton adresse par mail privé, je te commanderai le nouveau nuancier... Mais moi, je suis un peu déçue par les nouvelles couleurs, les autres blogueuses ont l'air ravi...
      Magali

      Delete
  44. I knew you'd come up with just the right thing. When I saw your inspiration photos I hoped you wouldn't go too bright or too bold. Pale and greyed and gorgeous. Perfect. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that those colours mix so many pigments that they aren't too bright because there's always a little grey in them.

      Delete
  45. Magali esta lindo tu comedor se ve fresco y alegre tambien me gusta el mueble junto a tu ventana es hermoso y por ultimo el gatito que le gusta salir en las fotos :) nelly




    ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias , Nelly . El armario junto a la ventana está en un estado terrible y estoy buscando una solución para ello !

      Delete
  46. Blog police? I don't hear any sirens going. lol! Pictures are just fine and the results are fabulous!! Love the subtle differences in the colors.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  47. The chairs are beautiful even in the lowlight. I wish I really could come to tea. Hope your

    ReplyDelete
  48. Très bonne idée pour les chaises, l'ensemble est ravissant. Merci pour ta dernière visite. Bises. Caroline

    http://bleunordique.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  49. Everything in time is turning out just as you have always wanted. It took us nearly ten years to get Sea Cottage as I had envisioned.

    I wanted to add that I really like the vintage buffet near the window. It is darker wood and looks weathered and so unique in style. I would keep it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love what you did with your chairs!!!!! Definitely so much better than it's previous look!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Magali, I LOVE the chairs! It is most definitely magazine-worthy, but more importantly, the fact that they make you smile when you see them is everything. PLEASE share these at our Best of the Weekend party on Friday nights! Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Cool Concept. I like it. The chairs look like...seaglass.
    Great job

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Magali, I'll be featuring these tonight at Best of the Weekend! So glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  54. The chairs are such a pretty shade of blue---very seaside-ish. And I've fallen in love with you blog! It's such a pleasure to meet a wonderful writer with a home in progress. :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.