Thursday, January 04, 2018

So long

A Little 2017 Cottage Review


It's traditionnal for bloggers to do a little previous-year-review at the beginning of the new year... But I'm ot a full time blogger nor a full time interior designer, so things take time here at Cottage. I know it's disappointing to some of my readers, but I'm actually really happy with what has already been done.

Il est traditionnel sur les blogs de faire un petit bilan de l'année précédente au début du mois de janvier... Mais, moi, je ne suis pas une blogueuse à plein temps, ni même une décoratrice à plein temps. La transformation de Cottage prend donc bien plus d'une année. Je sais, c'est parfois décevant pour mes lecteurs.

When I thought about this post, I really believed little had been done in Cottage in 2017... But I was wrong. No, it wasn't a complete overhaul like you see on some TV shows, but I did work quite a lot...

Quand j'ai commencé cet article, je me suis même dit que cette année, je n'avais pas grand chose à vous montrer... Et finalement, en cours d'écriture, je me suis rendu compte que beaucoup d'éléments avaient été modifiés au Cottage en 2017.

The most important transformation is the addition of the wood stove. It had been  my dream since I was a little girl to have a fireplace in my home... And I bought a Cottage that had none! But I made sure when I visited it, that there was an old chimney.  Yes, if you look closely on the lighter orange-y wall, there a little square at the bottom that marked the place of a former fireplace. Yes, the pictures are both of the same room... Before and after transformation!


La transformation la plus importante a bien sûr été l'installation d'un poêle à bois. Avoir une cheminée était mon rêve quand je cherchais une maison. Malheureusement, au Cottage, si les deux conduits de cheminée existaient, un servait pour la chaudière, l'autre était condamné et n'était plus marqué que par une petite trappe que vous pouvez apercevoir sur le mur en orange plus clair sur la photo ci-dessus. Et oui, il s'agit de la même pièce après transformation ci-dessous...


The living-room transformation is on! The new couch was chosen after much hesitation and the walls are nearly all painted... I tried to take pictures, but my camera doesn't show a diffference with the before pictures where the walls were only primed. In reality, paint makes a difference in the atmosphere as it looks cleaner and clearer.


Et voilà la transformation du salon lancée ! Un nouveau canapé a été choisi après de nombreuses hésitations et les murs sont presque tous peints... J'ai essayé de vous prendre des photos, mais avec mon appareil, on ne voit pas la différence entre les murs recouverts d'une sous-couche avant et les murs maintenant peints. Dans le Cottage, cela paraît pourtant plus clair et plus propre.

One wall isn't painted yet, that's because I have a special project for it, a project I hope to complete in 2018. I'm not telling anything today, of course!

Un mur n'est pas encore peint dans le salon, mais c'est parce que j'ai un petit projet pour lui, projet que j'espère concrétiser en 2018... Je ne vous en dis rien, bien sûr !

But, as we are speaking of painting, 2017 was also the year I painted the staircase walls... I can't tell you how happy I am that this is over. The paint used there - personnal mix of two Farrow & Ball shades - is also the one used on the living-room walls.


Puisqu'on parle peinture, 2017 a été l'année d'un grand chantier. J'ai peint les murs et le plafond de la cage d'escalier. Je ne peux pas vous dire à quel point je suis soulagée que ce soit fait ! La teinte utilisée sur les murs - un mélange perso de deux couleurs de Farrow & Ball - est aussi celle que j'ai employée dans le salon. 


2017 was also the year I took care of the smallest room in Cottage, the loo. It has changed a lot since I bought Cottage and this room is nearly done... Only three more things are needed there and I hope to take care of that during my next school break which will be in February.


2017 a aussi vu la transformation de la plus petite pièce de Cottage, les toilettes. Cela a beaucoup changé et cette pièce est presque finie. Il n'y a plus que trois petites choses dont il faut que je m'occupe, j'espère pendant les vacances de février.


I realised while trying to find an "after" picture of the loo that I never took a proper after picture, whithout tape and without clutter on the top... So that's on my to-do list for 2018. Now, what else is on my to-do list ? You'll have to come back later to know!

Je me suis aperçue en cherchant une photo des toilettes que je n'en avais jamais prise après les travaux... Je n'en ai pas une sans scotch et sans bazar. Je rajoute ça à ma liste de choses à faire en 2018. Qu'y a-t-il d'autre sur cette liste ? Pour le savoir, il va falloir revenir plus tard !

What about you? Any long to-do list for 2018?

Et vous ? Avez-vous une liste longue comme un jour sans pain pour 2018 ?

See you next time,

A la prochaine fois,

Hasta la proxima,



PS: As we are hit here by several winter storms and warm weather, I hope that all my readers are safe, even those affected by the cold weather in Northern America.

PS: Que vous soyez pris dans les tempêtes d'hiver comme moi ou ensevelis sous la neige en Amérique du Nord, restez prudent, restez à la maison à lire des blogs !

38 comments:

  1. It's good to look back, otherwise when renovating an old place you just seem to hurry to the next on your to-do-list and feel that "nothing" is done. The fireplace is lovely and the little loo is perfect:) I can imagine you having your cuppa in front of the fire one chilly evening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I really thought nothing much had been done tis year at Cottage until I wrote that post!

      Delete
  2. Le changement est plutôt bénéfique pour Cottage, c'est beau, tout propre et certainement beaucoup plus vivable désormais pour toi, tu as du sentir la différence lors des quelques jours de froid
    En tout cas tu peux être fière de toi, tu as beaucoup investi de ton temps pour rendre cottage plus beau que ce qu'il était, tu n'as pas du positiver tous les jours
    J'espère que cette année 2018 t'offrira ce que tu souhaites et beaucoup de travaux pour cottage
    je compte sur toi pour nous en parler bientôt
    Bonne semaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspiration to see how you have treated Cottage with such care to bring back the original cottage feel but with updates that will last your lifetime. I raise my glass to you my friend, and wish you a wonderful remainder of the school year and a retreat during the summer that will invigorate you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it always takes so much time to redo a house - and money - it took us 9 months this year to do the sewing room make over while Hubby was working part time finishing up a contract job - more work to do in other parts of the house inside and out. We also had a new roof put on and 6 trees cut down that were close to the house

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful! I love that stove... Happy New Year Magali! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new stove and I know how excited you were to add this to Cottage. It is so pretty and cozy and warm. For a girl living alone and working full time you get more accomplished then most on your sweet cottage. All the changes you make are so beautiful. Happy New Year Magali.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magali, I've watched every change you made in cottage and love everything. The living room with the addition of the fireplace really adds the "cozy" feel and wow I love the color in there. I know it was last year but I really loved the kitchen makeover. Yes, you have done a lot! Hope you have a wonderful 2018 Magali............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cottage is simply gorgeous, Magali. Every change, every addition is done with love and care, and it shows in your splendid photos. I'm just amazed at how much you accomplish every year, especially considering you are doing it on your own and working full-time. How could any reader be disappointed in your progress? You are a treasure, and your blog is always a delight. Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...I look forward to seeing what you accomplish in 2018...starting with the wall come Feb...I was just last night wondering about your weather as I was watching the snow fall...as it still is this morning...they said 3-5"...but it's looking like we'll have more...I'm sure you've been enjoying your woodstove this winter...an by the way...I love that tea cup...I have a little thing for birds...hope you have a Wonderful weekend.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you looked back, you have accomplished so many things and i love to see the progress for 2018. Your cottage is looking so very wonderful. Here in Okla. we haven't had the snow but it is colder,as long as the sun shines i can live with the 9,10,and 11 degree weather. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one more winter storm here last night... I think I'm ready for longer days and less wind!!!
      Have a nice day,
      Magali

      Delete
  11. We had a insert wood stove in Colorado and we sure do miss it. We used to walk in the door and "fire it up" as we said in those days. We miss it. Yours is very lovely! Your cottage is wonderful! Great job of designing everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Magali, I think you have accomplished a lot in Cottage and every little thing counts. We also have lives beyond our blogs that take up our time and that counts for a lot. Your house has become a home and is so lovely and it speaks of it's owner. Happy New Year my friend! xoxo Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Magali. I think you accomplished a lot last year and it is all wonderful. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have enjoyed watching the transformation so far. I think it has come along wonderfully. Now wonder what the secret is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Et bien des choses il y en a quand même bien eu de faites dans ton joli cottge. C'est vraiment charmant et très féminin tout en restant sobre et de bon goût.
    Je t'admire de mener à bien cette rénovation toute seule. Bravo.
    Caresses aux félins. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your cottage, it is a home with a heart!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are very dedicated to the cottage. You have done a lot and continue to do. Best wishes for 2018!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Magali que gusto saber de ti y ver todo lo que has adelantado con Cottage, siempre me satisface ver tus logros y te felicito de Corazon se ve muy hermoso .Estare esperando por tu Nuevo Proyecto :) Hasta la proxima....nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Nelly. Trabajaré en el próximo proyecto cuando llegue la primavera ...

      Delete
  20. You were busy last year, especially with school. The living room will be the big change this year I'm thinking.
    Keep warm, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year! I apologize for not commenting more in the past few months. I have been following, but I always read on my iPad, and I have been having trouble commenting again. I hope it works this time! I am on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Qu'il est chou ton cottage ! Mais pense un peu à toi et pas toujours à lui ! Je te resouhaite une belle, douce et calme année. Bises

    ReplyDelete
  23. C'est marrant comme on a tendance a oublié ce que l'on a fait dans l'année. Et y repenser met du baume au cœur! Ton poêle méritait bien d'être à nouveau mis sur la sellette car il est vraiment très joli. Meilleurs vœux pour 2018 et réalisation de tes projets! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh la la ! les listes... de choses à faire impérativement, à faire dès que possible mais aussi, rien que pour le plaisir, la liste des petites choses à coudre ou à broder et des petits meubles à rénover, la sempiternelle liste de courses... et la pile de livres à lire !!! si 2018 se maintient à l'allure de 2017, tous mes projets n'aboutiront pas et c'est dommage car j'en ai déjà pour 2019...
    bonne reprise ! monique59

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you have done a lot in 2017. I must say that Cottage looks grand - love the fireplace. it looks so warm.

    Hope your 2018 is a wonderful year for you and Cottage,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your fireplace! That's something I want, and well, I guess I have an electric fireplace. Not quite as nice, BUT, my fire can glow purple. Oh, yes. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd say that's accomplishing a lot in one year for home projects! We are hoping to have some outdoor work done this year, depending on $$.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, you sure got a lot done, way more than me I think! I never did a roundup of the year, oh well - not enough hours in the day with working full time. My to do list is constant, but I don't know that I have anything too large planned this year....maybe some bigger projects out in the garden, but not too much indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  29. BRAVO ... Renovating does take time ... and patience sprinkled with a lot of LOVE... You’re making it truly your own. I’ve been renovating my Heritage home for ten years ( ha Ha) ... slowly slowly.. It makes the heart grow fonder’ sometimes” ( Hee Hee).. Your little wood stove is such a cosy touch ... against the exposed stone wall... It’s perfect for teatime.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Magali, Congratulations on your progress in 2017. Love the wood stove. Looking forward to the 2018 projects. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are making wonderful progress with the little cottage. I'm sure you are enjoying every moment you spend near the wood stove.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Magnifique chez vous. Nous avons aussi une liste de travaux à terminer - à commencer - à réfléchir.
    Comme les autres lectrices, j'adore votre poêle au bois.
    Bonjour de ma campagne belge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci d'avoir pris le temps de me laisser ce gentil commentaire... Chez moi, tout l'étage reste encore à faire - la liste de travaux à faire/réfléchir est longue aussi !

      Delete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.