Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Duality

Cottage Door Project - part 2


You know that lovely patio in front of Cottage? And by "lovely patio", I mean : patio in need of a complete makeover for which I already have dozens of different ideas!

Vous voyez cette jolie terrasse devant Cottage ?  Par "jolie terrasse", j'entends : terrasse qui a besoin d'être complètement refaite et pour laquelle j'ai déjà des douzaines d'idées, bien sûr.


Well, it used to be a street. It might be difficult to imagine, but it explains why the front door of the cottage is actually facing the back! At some point in the history of the twin cottages, the street was turned into patios and the orchards that were at the back were turned into what is now the street.

Eh bien, auparavant, c'était une rue. Cela semble fou, mais cela explique pourquoi la porte principale est à l'arrière, ce qui n'est pas habituel dans les vieilles maisons, et pourquoi il y a une boîte aux lettres dans la petite véranda. Au cours de l'histoire des deux maisons mitoyennes, la rue a été transformée en terrasse et les vergers qui étaient à l'arrière sont devenus la rue.

Long story short, my door is facing a difficult case of duality. It's the front door by which people come into Cottage, but it's also the back door facing the garden. It also triples as the living-room window now since the former entrance corridor had been removed by the previous owners... Arrggh!


En bref, ma porte me pose de gros problèmes : c'est une porte principale située sur l'arrière et c'est une porte donnant sur le jardin mais qui sert aussi à accueillir les visiteurs. Ah, j'oubliais ! Elle sert aussi de fenêtre pour le salon puisque le couloir d'entrée originel a été tombé par les précédents propriétaires ! Arrrgggh !

To me, it made making a choice impossible as I wanted a front and a back door and a window all at the same time.

Pour moi, cela rend tout choix épineux puisque j'aimerais avoir une porte d'entrée et une porte donnant sur le jardin et une fenêtre, mais que j'ai tout ensemble.

So, lets rewind a little, shall we?

Remontons un peu le temps, d'accord?

The original door to Cottage was a plain wood door, which made sense for a door on the road.

La porte d'origine de Cottage était tout en bois, ce qui était logique pour une porte donnant sur la rue.

Cottage on my first visit.
When I visited Cottage for the very first time, the original door was still here, but the owners had cut a part of it to replace it by glass. It was a good idea... But the door was in very bad shape and the air was coming from all around it!

Quand j'ai visité Cottage pour la première fois, cette porte était toujours là, mais les propriétaires l'avaient coupée pour remplacer une partie par une vitre. C'était une bonne idée... Mais la porte était en mauvaise état et l'air passait de partout !

Cottage the day I got the keys.
The owners must have watched a few of those TV programs about home staging. When I came back with my parents for a second visit a few days later, the original door had been changed for a brand new UPVC one.

Les propriétaires avaient dû regarder quelques émissions de télé sur le home staging car lors de la deuxième visite, avec mes parents, la porte avait été remplacée par une porte en PVC toute vitrée.

 
It broke my heart to think of the poor old door discarded in a dump, but there was no doubt it brought a lot more light in the living-room.

Cela m'a brisé le cœur de penser à la pauvre porte abandonnée dans une déchèterie, mais la nouvelle porte apportait beaucoup de lumière, cela ne faisait aucun doute.

I kept it for a while because there was so much more important things to do in Cottage. I was aware on the first winter, though, that the door hasn't been correctly installed as I could feel the air on my feet every morning when I approached the door.

J'ai gardé cette porte un moment car il y avait plus urgent à faire avec Cottage. Mais dès le premier hiver, je sentais sur les pieds l'air qui passait car la porte avait été mal posée.


Deciding on a new door was a nightmare. I wanted to keep as much light as I could in the living-room, but I also wanted to add a little nod to the past. 

Prendre une décision pour la porte a été un cauchemar. Je voulais garder la luminosité que la porte en PVC apportait au salon, mais je voulais aussi un petit clin d’œil au passé.

 
I remembered that the original door had a transom and I chose to recreate one. After much hesitation, I opted for a clear glass door so I could see my beautiful enclosed porch. Alright, the porch is a huge mess right now: it's rotten, the rain pours in from different spots and it looses wooden parts more regularly than I take my vitamins -  but someday, I'll be able to see my beautiful, newly redone porch.

A un moment de mes réflexions, il m'est revenu en mémoire que la porte d'origine avait un imposte. J'ai donc décidé d'en recréer un et de garder en dessous une porte vitrée qui me permettrait de voir mon jardin et ma charmante véranda. D'accord, la véranda est toute moisie, prend l'eau de tous les côtés et perd des morceaux de bois avec plus de régularité que je n'avale mes vitamines, mais un jour elle sera toute belle !

Now, you might think I was very intelligent and changed the door in this month of August... But no, it was done during a cold month of November, so I paid for a protective coat to be applied to the door as it was being made, so I wouldn't have to paint right away. Because of course, it's wooden door... so it needs painting.

Bon, là, vous vous dites que je suis intelligente et que j'ai fait les travaux par ce beau mois d'août, mais non ! La porte a été changée par un mois de novembre glacial... J'avais donc payé pour qu'une couche de protection soit appliquée en usine afin que la peinture puisse attendre des jours plus cléments. Parce que bien sûr, c'est une porte en bois et il faut donc la peindre.


The door is now painted in All White by Farrow & Ball... But you're going to have to trust me on that one... As I was going through my photos, I found out that I only took pictures after I had begun a new project that was showing on them!

Ça y est ! La porte est peinte avec mon habituel All White de Farrow & Ball. Mais vous allez devoir me croire sur parole car quand je cherchais mes photos, j'ai constaté que toutes celles qui montraient la porte peinte laissaient aussi voir le projet suivant !

So see you soon for that next project!

A bientôt pour des infos sur ce nouveau projet !


PS1: Summer projects have been small and slow compared to other summers, but I'm happy to report that the "potager" is doing great!


PS1: Les projets d'été ont été modestes et peu nombreux par rapport aux autres étés, mais au moins, cette année, le potager est superbe !


PS2: I've had trouble leaving comments on blogs for months now and after trying several times to fix the problem there was with my Yahoo email address, I just gave up and I'm changing my email address... Right now the transfer from one to an other is a bit of a mess, so I apologize if you get my replies twice... or not at all for the days to come!

34 comments:

  1. we to are doing work inside and outside - it takes a lot of time. We need to fix out doors we too get a little cold air coming around in the winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like Marmande tomatoes? Mine are ripening too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally identify with a back door becoming a front door. There were sidewalks running to the sea and our beautiful front door could be seen as people strolled down to the water. The city closed off the sidewalks and then the only entrance became the alley and people entered the house through the laundry room.

    When we made our changes to create a pretty entry, we added a Dutch door. We get lots of light, cool air on hot days when the door is open and I love the look of a Dutch door.

    I can't wait to see the final look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The choice of a front door is fraught!!! It is the 'face' of the house - the principal entrance. We replaced ours last fall and STILL haven't painted it. Perhaps your post will spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I will be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the final look, my friend :) I have been wanting to redo my front and back door on my home...maybe someday {{smiles}}

    Thinking of you, sweet Magali. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your door and everything that you have been doing. Hope that Cottage is happy with all your progress.

    Enjoy the weekend. Has your school started yet?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still confused! I hope everything looks the way you envisioned it so far. The porch repairs will come soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has to be one thing at a time....The door is a lovely improvement. Your potager is looking very nice! xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did slow the pace of renovation this year... Last year was just too complicated!

      Delete
  9. I love to follow the progress of your cottage! So interesting, really inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Magali! BONJOUR! Cottage looks great no matter what direction her entrance. As long as each entrance is open with welcoming arms. It takes almost a lifetime to make a home. Our home of 19 years is still under a bit of work, but I am excited to announce soon that our home will be in the September issue of Romantic Country Homes magazine. My studio MIGHT be on the cover as well.

    I wish you JOY in all you do. Et la rentrée, c'est lundi! BON COURAGE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Querida Magali me encanta saber de ti y de Cottage muy interesante tu relato tu mas que nadie sabes que es primero en tu casita que todo te salga bien y sobre todo que disfrutes cada arreglo a favor de Cottage, besitos a los gatitos... cuidate nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias , Nelly . Los gatitos aman la nueva puerta ya que no es tan pesado como el anterior y que pueden empujarlo !

      Delete
  12. What?! You changed the door last year and didn't tell us? We who LOVE to hear of cottages adventures and misadventures? Ok, we forgive you.

    I can so relate to the front and back doors switching. In our previous home we actually lived there for two months before we even knew which door was what! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love cottage's new door and transom. Love that it lets more light into your sweet cottage.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cottage is very happy I'm sure with new door changes, front or back! I am glad you went with your gut on the door with the transom for more light and being true to the original look. Magali, I have two front doors, one leads into the kitchen and is set back from the main house with it's front door. Once, I had a salesman come to the front door and I sent him away, then he came to the other front door thinking it was a separate home, that was funny, he didn't bat an eye and started with the sales pitch anew! Love your "pottage" is doing great, especially the tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah la la, Cottage et ses aventures sont une grande joie pour moi. N'as-tu jamais pensé à écrire des livres de suspens, je suis sûre que tu serais très forte dans cette discipline.
    J'attends le suite avec impatience.
    Caresses à Shadow and Co. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that the way it goes with remodeling projects? Up and down and sometimes even sideways. Fast one minute and slow another but in the end it will all be worth it when you look at cottage and realize all the world can now see the beauty you saw in her all along

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, always a project to be done when you move into a home! Looks like you have been able to solve a couple!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that the door lets light come in ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The transom is brilliant! Cottage must be so proud. =D

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm, you keep us guessing on what you are doing. I always look forward to your updates and tours. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cottage est vraiment spécial, il a même une porte d'entrée à l'arrière ! cela n 'apporte-t-il pas plus d'intimité et une sorte de tranquillité d'esprit ? et les bruits de la rue doivent moins s'entendre dans la maison (enfin il n'y a peut-être pas beaucoup de bruit dans votre petit coin de Bretagne)

    oh la la quelle histoire tourmentée a vécu la porte d'entrée... avant d'être tout en harmonie avec Cottage !
    l'imposte d'origine était banale et la porte pvc un vrai cauchemar (notamment à cause des gonds surdimensionnés)
    vos artisans ont encore fait merveille... puisque, dans un bois issu de forêt gérée durablement, ils ont fabriqué une nouvelle imposte à trois petits carreaux...
    une vitre de la taille de la fenêtre toute proche (pour garder les proportions de vide et de plein) aurait-elle nettement réduit la lumière ?

    les tomates ont dû se gorger de soleil ces derniers jours...

    bonne fin de vacances !
    à bientôt - cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ta nouvelle porte est superbe et parfaitement en harmonie avec les fenêtres. Ta peinture Farrow & ball fait merveille comme toujours. Mais il t'en faut du courage pour faire tout ça ! Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  23. Toujours beaucoup d'harmonie et de charme dans ton cottage, c'est sur qu'entre maintenant et avant ça n'a plus rien à voir, je préfère quand même le maintenant que l'avant ;-)
    Bon si les travaux sont encore d'actualité, au moins tu as un jardin qui "donne", ici rien de rien, pas même des courgettes, une vraie cata cette année 2016 tant au jardin qu'au potager
    Allez bon courage, je crois que la reprise arrive
    Belle semaine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi...seen this while wasting time in the parking lot at work waiting to go in..thought i'd just send an email..then read you're having issues with that..i left yahoo myself some time ago now..an i'm not crazy over the changes at gmail either..oh well..i love that you got a door with a transom..i want to replace my bathroom door an have a transom..it's in a dark little alcove an no light what so ever gets in there..an i can only imagine what great things you'll be doing with that sweet little entry..altho it does seem odd they wake up one day an thought to make the back the front..hope you are enjoying the last days of your time off..as well as feeling somewhat better now..email me when you get your address straightened out so i can save it...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Magali, It surely would have helped if I had read part 2 before I read part 3. Now I see why the front door is in the back! lol You sweet cottage has so much history that's the best part of antique and vintage items. I love the stories. :) xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful explanation of the front/back reversal. Choosing new permanent fixtures for our beloved spaces is always a dilemma. Well chosen. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
  27. One step at a time ...
    I love reading about the history of your cottage

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm behind again in reading but I love the transom you put in and the front door. We are in the process of picking a door for our Mini Mansion as I call it aka Shed. It's just for over night stays until we build the house but we want to be safe and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.