Friday, August 26, 2016

Invisibility Cloak

Cottage Door Project - part 3


Since the day I had the main door of Cottage changed, I've had a love/hate relationship with it.

Depuis le jour où j'ai fait changer la porte d'entrée de Cottage, j'ai eu des sentiments mitigés sur cette transformation.

 
I love that during the day I'm able to see my garden even when it's cold and the door is closed.

J'adore le fait de pouvoir voir mon jardin même lorsque la porte est fermée les jours de froid.


I hate that moment in winter when it gets dark so early that unexpected visitors are still possible and with the lights on they can immediately see all the mess my living-room is in.

Je déteste les journées courtes d'hiver où il fait nuit si tôt que des visiteurs inattendus peuvent encore se présenter et voir immédiatement tout mon salon grâce aux lumières allumées.

I've been looking for ideas on the Internet and have even bought a blue patterned curtains that I really love... But I soon realised I wasn't envisionning it at my door.  I was a bit lost.

Comme d'habitude j'ai cherché de l'inspiration sur Internet et j'ai même acheté un rideau bleu avec de  légers motifs géométriques blancs... Mais j'ai très vite compris que je ne le voyais pas du tout sur ma porte d'entrée. J'étais perdue.

Then one day I watched a house design tv show... Oh, who am I kidding?  I was watching a fiction tv show as usual and I noticed that Emily's door in Revenge looked a lot like mine and that she had on her door the same sheer curtains that I had on my dining room window... And I loved the look on her double door!


Un jour, je regardais une émission de déco à la télé... Non, vous ne m'avez pas crue tout de même ? Je regardais donc une fiction comme d'habitude et j'ai remarqué que les portes fenêtres d'Emily dans Revenge ressemblaient beaucoup à ma propre porte et étaient ornées de voilages qui ressemblaient à s'y méprendre à celui que j'avais dans la salle-à-manger.

 
I ordered the same curtain I had for the dining-room, bought a pole at the local hardware store. In fact I bought two as the first I bought made it impossible to open the door and I didn't find it really easy to have to climb in and out of the living-room window all the times, though the cats seem to think it's fine.

J'ai donc commandé le même rideau que la dernière fois, j'ai acheté une barre de rideau... Oui, enfin, j'en ai acheté deux car la première empêchait la porte d'ouvrir en plein et je ne trouve pas très pratique d'escalader systématiquement la fenêtre, bien que les chats pensent que ce soit très facile.

 
Then came the best part: hemming the curtain. I decided to do it with my mom and it went a lot like this...
Mom: You should decide how long you want it to be, then measure the curtain, then cut and hem it.
Me: No, I'm going to hang the curtain, put pins where I think it's long enough, then cut it  and hem it.
Mom: I've always measured first. You don't even measure?
Me: Well, it's an old crooked house and a cheap curtain that isn't straitgh in the first place.
Mom: Why did you need my help then?
Dad (yes, he was there on the sofa, watching us): Women!!!

C'est là qu'arrive le meilleur moment : faire un ourlet. J'ai attendu que ma maman vienne me voir avec sa lourde machine à coudre plus vieille que moi et cela a donné à peu près ça...
Maman : Bon, il faut que tu décides quelle longueur tu veux, que tu mesures sur ton rideau, ensuite on coupe et on fait l'ourlet.
Moi : Non, on pends le rideau, on met des épingles à l’œil et ensuite on fait l'ourlet.
Maman : Comment ça ? Tu ne mesures pas ?
Moi : Bof, dans une vieille maison dans laquelle rien n'est droit et avec un rideau premier prix dont l'ourlet de départ n'est pas droit non plus....
Maman : Mais si tu ne veux pas de mes conseils, pourquoi m'avoir appelée ?
Papa (oui, il nous observait du canapé tout ce temps) : Ah, les femmes !


Anyway, the curtain was hemmed an I really love the result.  As it's a light curtain, it doesn't block the view when it's open. As it's a sheer curtain, it doesn't block the light when it's close during the day (which usually only happens if I have a bad day), but it blocks enough of the viex for the inside to become invisible when it's needed.


Bon, l'ourlet a quand même été effectué et j'aime beaucoup le résultat. Le rideau est suffisamment fin pour ne pas empiéter sur la vitre et sur la vue sur le jardin quand il est ouvert. Il est assez léger aussi pour laisser passer la lumière lorsque je le ferme ce qui n'arrive en journée qu'en cas de mal de tête, mais il bloque suffisamment la vue pour que l'intérieur devienne invisible quand je le souhaite.

Now I'm in love with my front door all the time. So the Cottage door project is finished for me...

Et me voilà de nouveau amoureuse de ma porte. Pour moi, le projet porte est terminé...

 
But you my have noticed a few cats in some pictures, they are the reason there'll be one more episode in this series. To be fair, this last project isn't completed, but I'll show you the beginning so you don't imagine that all I did this summer was hemming a sheer curtain!

Mais les chats, qui ont un peu envahi les photos d'ailleurs, ont besoin d'une petite amélioration de plus. Je ne vais pas vous mentir ce dernier projet n'est pas achevé, mais je vous le montrerai quand même dans l'état où il est la prochaine fois pour que vous ne vous imaginiez pas que mon été s'est résumé à un ourlet de rideau !


See you soon for the last part!

A bientôt pour la dernière partie !


PS1: I don't know if you get notifications when someone unsuscribes from your blog. Just in case you do, don't be surprised to get one that I have unsuscribed. I still love your blog and I already have resuscribed with the new email address that blogger accepts. It's a huge mess right now as I chose to transfer autonatically informations and mails from the old address to the new one and it's not working great! But I bet in a few days I'll know where to find your comments and how to reply to them ;)

PS2: I'm sharing my new door and its new sheer curtain at the following parties!

Photobucket             That DIY Party @diyshowoff.com                         

40 comments:

  1. So lovely, just the right solution. I love sheer curtains! Good that you could attach the rod to the door, so it just moves away when opening! Love the dressmaker as well, although it did not end like I hoped it would, I guess it ended like it had to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rods are such good value. Your sheer curtain is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you came up with an idea that you love.

    I must admit that I would have hemmed the curtain the same way you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Magali! Our home too..there were some things that I could never like until time passed and we either changed it or just lived with it. But we chose to CHANGE a few things and WOW, what a difference. You have given Cottage your best, and it shows. KEEP ON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I had a good laugh while reading this during breakfast time....between you climbing in and out of the window and your mom and dad...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh today Magali. Love the curtains, and your hemming solution was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew those tv shows were good for something! Inspiration!!! I loved Revenge and Emily and was quite pleased with how the show turned out, even though I do miss watching it on Sunday nights. And I love the breezy, sheer curtain on your pretty front door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Revenge has inspired me more than any design show ever! The sheer was something I really love as well as the palette of soft blues and greens!

      Delete
  8. I love your curtain! It is so simple yet beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.....perfect solution..an how great your door is so similar to Em's..notice i say Em..like we're friends or something..love your conversation with your mom too..an..does your dad know we think the same about men..haha..so is the living room pretty much done now..an what about those new stairs..an..an..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magali you are so cute! You just needed your mom to be a back up it sounds like a conversation my mom and I would have. lol I didn't realize that you had a two door entrance how neat. I'm looking forward to seeing part 3. Have a lovely weekend. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was really well done! The perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say go for whatever pleases you and enjoy! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does look very nice, dear Magali! Don't you just love Emily's cottage? I do love your entry - it is very pretty on the inside and out. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aurais-tu fais une chatière?
    En tout cas c'est ce que moi j'ai fait. Voyant que mon chat sautait sur la poignée de porte pour l'ouvrir, je suis allée acheter une chatière et ai découpé ma porte d'entrée qui est assez vieille, je n'avais rien dit à mon mari et quand il est rentré, j'ai cru qu'il allait tourner de l’œil, de toute manière je l'aurais fait même s'il n'avait pas été d'accord. Ma vie a changé et même maintenant j'en suis toujours ravie car pendant longtemps j'ai eu des chats bien sur mais aussi des gros chiens, mais en vieillissant, j'ai repris des chiens mais tout petits et tout mon petit monde à quatre pattes passe par cette chatière que je trouve formidable.
    Ton rideau est super et ta maman au top.
    Caresses aux 4'pattes. Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it looks wonderful!! The curtain was 'sheer' genius - ha ha, sorry, I couldn't resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way the curtain looks on your pretty door. Great solution to a decorating problem. I love it. Cute story about hemming the curtain with your Mom.Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magali tu puerta es hermosa y te quedo muy bien con la cortina me alegro por ti y Cottage y me encanto la conversacion con tu mama me hiciste sonreir en mi mente los veia a los tres pero hubiera querido oirlos hablar :))...hasta la proxima nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias , Nelly . Próximo proyecto de la puerta debe estar listo pronto.

      Delete
  18. Inspirational choice ... works perfectly.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your door with the sheer curtain. Actually I like sheer curtains on windows under the “double-rideaux.” Here in the US many people do not place any curtain on their windows. I find it strange.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely adore your new curtain and was smiling at the conversation you had with your mother. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Magali, my mom has sheer curtains too. Perfect for a bit of privacy. So important to have a good front door to keep the drafts at bay, especially living near the coast.
    Have a beautiful day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cotton sheer curtains: they don't block the light, but offer privacy and are easy to wash!

      Delete
  22. Magali - I love this post...I love your blog...so, so glad I found you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the sheer curtain on your door - a perfect solution! Our front door has a large glass panel and I hung a lacy panel over it. Still lets in the light and offers a bit of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sheer, dreamy and do-able! What's not to love?

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely! You made the perfect choice in curtains and not measuring!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this Magali! I was just looking at my front door and imagining a curtain with it like this. Very cottagey indeed. I so loved the dialogue between you and your Mom! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have enjoyed the last few posts on front doors. The sheer curtain is so light and airy. My cats would have torn it to shreds - they love anything sheer. Jealous over your potager - how is your harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  28. j'aime les portes vitrées habillées... et les chats sont bien gentils de ne pas jouer avec le voilage !!

    la petite véranda est vraiment toute jolie !

    à bientôt pour la fin de l'histoire - bien cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's so true! I agree with the way you hemmed it. Recently my spouse did two small projects on his office. He hung a pot rail outside his door and his t.v. set inside. Well low and behold... I come out and say both things look crooked, and he tells me they are perfectly level. I knew they were, but they have to go with the seems of the wood siding and the wood inside walls, because the old walls are crooked. So he moved them both just slightly and now his t.v. looks straight and the rack. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's so true! I agree with the way you hemmed it. Recently my spouse did two small projects on his office. He hung a pot rail outside his door and his t.v. set inside. Well low and behold... I come out and say both things look crooked, and he tells me they are perfectly level. I knew they were, but they have to go with the seems of the wood siding and the wood inside walls, because the old walls are crooked. So he moved them both just slightly and now his t.v. looks straight and the rack. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  31. I tried to comment on this post last week, but you know that my tablet will not let me. The door is great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A perfect solution, Magali! Glad you are loving your door all the time, now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought of curtains for a front door, but for Cottage, it sure does work!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.