Monday, September 26, 2016

Never Fail Focaccia Bread

A Gluten-free, Egg-free, Lactose-free Recipe

Une recette sans GLO


You may have noticed that I share less recipes than I used to... I've been on an anti-inflammatory diet for ten months now and it has meant adjusting my recipes, figuring out some new ones and failing a lot of them!

Depuis quelques temps, je partage moins de recettes sur le blog... Je teste un régime anti-inflammatoire depuis une dizaine de mois et il a fallu que j'adapte mes recettes, que j'en trouve de nouvelles et que j'en rate beaucoup !



Basically, every day eating isn't a lot different than it used to be, but the baking thing is a little challenging. But for a few months now, I've been able to bake breads that even my friends and colleagues love. I've been asked the recipe both by people who have a special diet and by people who just loved the taste. So why not share it here on the blog for everyone?

En fait, la cuisine du quotidien n'a pas beaucoup changé, mais la pâtisserie est une sorte de challenge. Depuis quelques temps, cependant, j'arrive à faire des pains que même mes amis et collègues apprécient. C'est la recette qui m'est le plus demandée par des gens qui suivent un régime spécial, mais aussi par les autres qui apprécient juste le goût. Alors, plutôt que de l'écrire vingt fois, je vais la mettre sur le blog !

During the summer, Sarah, from the blog Sarah Bakes Guten Free, shared a recipe for a focaccia bread that looked yummy. Because I don't like using the same flours and because I like to make everything my own, I created a slightly different recipe.

Cet été, un blog de recettes que je suis a proposé un pain focaccia qui me faisait envie. Mais le mélange de farines et la gomme de guar ajoutée ne me plaisaient pas, alors, j'ai inventé ma propre version.

 
Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 &1/4 tsp dry yeast (about 9 gramms)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup luke warm water
  • 1 cup whole rice flour
  • 1/2 cup white rice flour
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup chesnut flour
  • 1/3 cup potato starch
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 & 1/4 tsp psyllium powder
  • 1 tsp flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 2 Tsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup luke warm water (or more)
  • topping: 1&1/2 tsp dried herbs + black olives
Voici la liste des ingrédients:
  • un sachet de levure sèche de 9 grammes (j'utilise une version sans gluten)
  • une cuillerée à café de sucre
  • une tasse (250 mL) d'eau à peine tiède (dégourdie)
  • une tasse de farine de riz complet
  • une demie tasse de farine de riz blanche
  • une demie tasse de farine de sarrasin
  • une demie tasse de farine de châtaigne
  • un tiers de tasse de fécule de pomme de terre
  • un quart de tasse de fécule de maïs
  • une cuillerée à café de sel
  • une cuillerée à café un quart de psyllium en poudre
  • une cuillerée à café de graines de lin
  • une demie cuillerée à café de graines de chia
  • deux cuillerées à soupe d'huile d'olive
  • trois quarts de tasse d'eau à peine tiède (ou un peu plus).  


Don't be afraid by the long list of ingredients, it's only because I don't use pre-made flour mix. The recipe is easy and has never failed me!

Ne vous laissez pas impressionner par la liste des ingrédients. Ce n'est long que parce que je n'utilise pas un mélange de farines tout prêt. Cette recette est facile et n'a jamais raté depuis que je l'ai mise au point.


In a bowl, mix the dry yeast and the sugar, add the luke warm water and cover. Set aside while you're getting the rest of the dough ready. If your kitchen is warm because you're cooking, let it there, if not, take your bowl behind a sunny window... or on the bathroom heater if it's a gloomy day (I have no idea of an other heater will work - do it at your own risk!!!)

Dans un bol, mélanger la levure sèche et le sucre. Ajoutez une tasse d'eau à peine tiède. Couvrez. Mettez de côté pendant que vous préparez le reste. Si votre cuisine est chaude parce que vous êtes en train de cuisiner, laissez le bol là. Sinon, portez le derrière une fenêtre ensoleillée ou sur le radiateur de la salle de bain s'il fait gris ce jour-là (je n'ai jamais testé sur un autre radiateur, vous pouvez, mais c'est à vos risques et périls !!!)



In a large bowl, put the different flours and starches, stir, add the salt, the psyllium powder. Grind the flax seeds and the chia seeds together (I use a coffee grinder) and add them to the flour mixture. Stir. Add the yeast mixture that should have become foamy by then, two tablespoons olive oil and about 3/4 of luke warm water (it could be a little more depending on the humidity that day and of the humidity of your flours). Stir: you should get a cake like dough, not the usual bread dough. It means you'll stir it with a spoon, not by hand.


Dans un grand saladier, mélangez les farines et les fécules, ajoutez le sel, le psyllium en poudre (au rayon parapharmacie du magasin bio). Les graines de lin et de chia doivent être moulues - j'utilise un moulin à café - avant d'être ajoutées aux farines. Ensuite, versez votre mélange à la levure qui a dû devenir un peu mousseux, l'huile d'olive et l'eau supplémentaire (dont la quantité peut varier un peu suivant l'humidité de l'air et celle des farines utilisées). Mélangez pour obtenir une pâte qui ressemble plus à une pâte à gâteau qu'à une pâte à pain. Vous la manipulerez à la cuillère, pas à la main.

 
Now here comes the good news: no kneading. Once the dough seems even, pour it in an oiled large round pan. Add some dried herbs and olives on top. Cover it and let it raise for about one hour (again, kitchen, sunny window or bathroom heater are the three best options). Then bake it for about 16 minutes in a pre-heated 370°F oven. 

Bonne nouvelle ! Pas de pétrissage. Dès que la pâte est homogène, versez la dans un grand plat à tarte huilé. Parsemez d'herbes de Provence et d'olives noires. Couvrez et laissez lever pendant environ une heure (cuisine, fenêtre ensoleillée ou radiateur de la salle de bain sont à nouveau conseillés). Puis enfournez dans un four préchauffé à 190°C environ pour 16 minutes.

Your questions answered before they form in your head:
1. Technically, it's not sugar free: aside from the teaspoon of sugar that helps the yeast get into gear, the starches are easily transformed by the body in sugar... But this bread is like a treat that you eat when you have company and not something to bake every day of the week!

2. I've already had comments about how difficult it was to find chesnut flour in some part of the world, substitute it with any flour you want, not with starch.

3. The psyllium powder and the mixture of flax seeds and chia seeds help the bread moist, which is something difficult to achieve with gluten free bread.

4. It's better if the grid in your oven is lower than the middle of the oven to bake this focaccia bread.

5. I like to eat mine drizzled with garlic infused olive oil...

J'ai pensé aux questions que vous ne vous posez pas encore... 
1. Techniquement, il y a du sucre dans cette recette : un peu pour activer la levure et pas mal dans les fécules connues pour être rapidement transformées en sucre par l'organisme... Mais c'est une recette de fête à faire quand on a des amis, pas une recette à faire tous les jours !

2. Pour ceux qui ne trouveraient pas de farine de châtaigne, remplacez-la par une autre farine, pas par de la fécule.

3. Le psyllium et les graines moulues gonflent avec l'eau ajoutée dans la pâte et rendent le pain plus moelleux qu'un sans gluten classique.

4. Il vaut mieux que la grille de votre four soit dans la moitié basse de votre four.

5. J'aime ajouter sur ma part de l'huile d'olive infusée à l'ail...

Please let me know if you try it or if it inspires you to create your own recipe like I did!

N'hésitez pas à me dire si vous testez la recette ou si cela vous inspire pour créer la vôtre comme je l'ai fait !

See you next time!

A la prochaine !


PS1: I don't know if it's important, but I've never done the recipe without spilling some flour on the countertop, so I don't know if the recipe will work if you're too tidy...

PS : Je ne sais pas si ça compte, mais je n'ai jamais réalisé la recette sans renverser de la farine sur la plan de travail, j'ignore donc si la recette fonctionne si vous êtes très méticuleux...

PS2: I'm sharing this recipe with:
Jann, Jo & Carol for Share Your Cup.


30 comments:

  1. Good, I am not tidy!

    thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Magali, thank you for coming to see my blog post! Half of my house wasn't even on my post, the better part being the newest addition of two "French style" rooms with white-washed "poutres" and pure white walls. The magazine will have all those photos! AND this bread looks wonderful. I used to make bread all the time, but when I started working full time as a teacher, I found I had no time to make bread! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coucou Magali,
    Voila une recette à tester, ça m'a l'air tentant
    Pour ma part je mets de l'ail fumée dans la majorité de mes recettes, ça donne un goût fumé particulièrement attrayant en cuisine, il est d'ailleurs difficile ensuite de revenir à celle qui ne l'est pas
    J'aime beaucoup le fromage de brebis frais avec les olives, un régal
    Tient tu m'as donné faim, ce midi ça sera rougail maison
    Bon courage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magali gracias por la receta se ve rica la preparare estoy segura que me gustara, en el pasado he preparado tus recetas y las he repetido ....hasta la proxima :) nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mis recetas son generalmente fáciles ... La lista de ingredientes puede ser un poco largo! Pero es bueno saber que ya has probado algunas recetas!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm looks really good! I have a rule, I don't do anything experimental in the kitchen until the snow lies deep on the ground. pinning this for when that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ce pain a l'air délicieux... j'espère bien que tu m'en feras goûter un morceau une prochaine fois. Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tidy when making bread I am not! the recipe looks great - I used to bake bread many different ways as we had a person allergic to wheat and I tried many flours and many recipes - I never ran across chestnut flour - I'm sure most flours can now be bought on line if not found in a specialty grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bread always smells wonderful baking in the kitchen! Looks delicious from here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely delightful! Happy Friday ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ça m'a l'air délicieux et comme chaque fois que je vais faire des courses à Vintimille j'en ramène, je ne me risquerai pas à vouloir jouer les boulangères, néanmoins je suis admirative de savoir qu'il y a des gens qui prennent autant soin de leur santé (je dois dire que je n'ai pas de problème de santé).
    Caresses à Shadow, Milo et Piano. Bises. babette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trop compliqué pour moi même si ce pain a l'air appétissant. J'essaie �� de passer le moins de temps possible dans ma cuisine...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to look for chestnut flour, not at my local Publix! I like the idea of anything anti-inflamtoratory so I will pin this to try. Looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing, hope you will share more of your menus for this diet..............
    Happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous - thank you so much for sharing the recipe - the bread looks so good in your photo's.

    I had to laugh when you said " so I don't know if the recipe will work if you're too tidy..."
    A kitchen counter-top has to be a little messy hasn't it!!!
    As long as the end result tastes great - you can always clear up afterwards!!!

    Have a good week

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't seem to be able to cook or bake without making a mess of my kitchen!!!

      Delete
  15. Few things smell as wonderful as freshly baked bread. Thank you for sharing Magali!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi...sounds good..i'm glad you're having some success with you're baking..it's always nice when an idea works out deliciously..i'll be giving this one a try too..
    hope you're week is going well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting! Baking is so difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sweet Magali, thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it looks and sounds delicious!

    Thinking of you, dear one. Hugs and joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a beautiful bread. I love the addition of olives on top. I'm sure the olive oil makes it even tastier. I'm glad you are able to adapt some recipes that are tasty! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Go on line and search Dr. Sears, Zone Diet web site. I have all his books and you would love his anti-inflammatory book. His web site also has many receipes for this. I bake gluten-free, casien free and organic...hate GMO's! I also cook low-glycemic foods. I have to say though, I have been known to cheat putting a little cow milk in my black tea. After awhile, I just need a good cup of Earl Grey! For everyday cold tea I drink Twinings Green Tea with Mint-so delicious...(no sugar neded). Just put 2 tea bags in a 2 quart container in the refrigerator and 15-20 mins. later you have great cold tea. I must try your receipe...minus the olives...groose little buggers! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, I will look it up as I have found that the anti-inflammatory diet has helped me a lot so far!

      Delete
  21. I am going to have to try this recipe. I love bread!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks very good, Magali! I eat mostly gluten-free too, as gluten terribly bloats my tummy. I don't bake often, but when I do, I've been using almond or oat flour. I've tried baking with coconut flour and I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love focaccia bread and this looks so yummy Magali! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our recipes require the same thing....making a mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm the messiest cook ever, so if this recipe calls for being sloppy, I'm in! I've only tried a bread with yeast once - it terrifies me for some reason! Your bread looks yummy, Magali!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.