Saturday, October 06, 2018

The Post I Wasn't Hoping To Write Anymore

New Job


Before I actually begin this post, I'd like to send a huge thank you to all of you for your kind words about the loss of my cat Piano. It was very heat-warming to read all your messages and to realise that each of you had had sad experiences like that.

Avant de commencer ce nouvel article, je voudrais envoyer un immense remerciement à tous ceux qui ont pris le temps de m'écrire un gentil mot après la mort de mon chat Piano. C'était extrêmement réconfortant de lire vos messages et de constater que nombre d'entre vous aviez vécu une expérience aussi triste que celle-là.

For once, even though I'm very grateful to all of you who commented, I probably won't reply to each of you, but I have a good reason for that. I have a new job.

Pour une fois, même si je suis reconnaissante envers chacun d'entre vous, je ne vais probablement pas avoir le temps de vous répondre individuellement... Mais j'ai une bonne excuse : j'ai un nouveau poste.

When I arrived in Brittany, about ten years ago, all I could find were positions as substitute teacher. I'm not going to explain to you how complicated the French teacher system is, but once you become a substitute teacher, it's very difficult to get a permanent position because basically the schools need substitute teachers.

Quand je suis arrivée en Bretagne, il y a une dizaine d'années, je n'ai obtenu qu'un poste de remplaçante dans l’Éducation Nationale. Je ne vais pas vous expliquer le système hyper-compliqué des mutations dans le système français, mais sachez juste qu'il est beaucoup plus difficile d'obtenir un poste fixe une fois qu'on a intégré le corps des remplaçants.

But last year, some of you may remember, I was asked to be a substitute for a latin teacher (I taught French for the two third of my schedule and latin for one third - it was not all latin). I decided to accept the challenge.


L'année dernière, certains s'en souviennent peut-être, j'avais été contactée pour remplacer un professeur de lettres classiques, alors que j'ai personnellement passé les concours en lettres modernes. Mais j'avais décidé de relever le défi.

At the end of the year, I asked to be nominated as the "official" teacher for that job... I had no hope to be chosen as I had asked for a permanent position for the last nine years with no success... But I was happily surprised in July to get a message telling me the job was offered to ME!

A la fin de l'année, j'ai fait une demande pour être nommée officiellement sur ce poste, sans grand espoir... Cela fait neuf ans que je demande un poste fixe... Mais, surprise, début juillet, j'ai appris que je l'avais obtenu !

I knew an inspector would come to check on my work during the year... I was still very surprised when I got a message a few weeks ago that she would visit me before the end of October... I think it's a little early as I only officially began the new job on September 3rd... But there's nothing I can do about that. It means a great many papers to write to explain how I work, so I don't have much time right now to work on Cottage (or even to clean Cottage) or to blog... But hopefully I'll start breathing again by the end of October.


Je savais qu'une visite d'inspection était prévue pour moi cette année... Mais je ne m'attendais pas à apprendre, il y a quelques semaines, que l'inspectrice allait arriver avant la fin du mois d'Octobre. C'est très tôt, je trouve, pour quelqu'un qui arrive dans un nouvel établissement, mais il faut faire avec... Tout mon temps est donc occupé en ce moment à rédiger des papiers dans lesquels j'explique ma façon de travailler. Cela me laisse peu de temps pour m'occuper de Cottage ou du blog... Mais d'ici quelques semaines, je devrais pouvoir souffler !

The new school is located in a seaside town, about twenty minutes away from Cottage. The above picture was taken on my road to work... I bet you understand why I want to keep that job! Last week, the PE teacher organised a day out on the sea for the pupils... They learnt how to sail while I encouraged them during my break before going back to work...


La nouvelle école est située en bord de mer... Je traverse un port, puis je longe la mer pour m'y rendre tous les jours... La semaine dernière, le professeur d'EPS de la classe dont je suis professeur principal avait organisé une découverte de la voile... Je suis allée sur place pour encourager mes élèves pendant une heure de "trou" de mon emploi du temps avant de retourner travailler... Vous comprenez pourquoi j'ai vraiment envie de rester dans cet établissement ?

See you later (probably after the inspection),

A bientôt (sûrement après l'inspection),

Hasta la proxima,





35 comments:

  1. Magali what a wonderful chance for you , at last. So pleased and I know you will be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chère Magali, OH how happy I am to hear that you got what you were hoping for. We both know how much time it takes and energy as well, to teach at this level and intensity. I too am back in a full-time position at the French immersion elementary school where I started 16 years ago. I took a break after nine years to teach part-time at both the collège and lycée levels for five years. What a HUGE difference it is to be back full-time with the little ones. I too have no time to clean my cottage, take photos or write...all the things I love to do!

    Wishing you a successful year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. coucou Magali
    que te dire d'autre que "félicitations", c'est une excellente chose de pouvoir enfin se projeter dans un poste durable, la vacation peut s'avérer compliquée et difficile à gérer
    je me disais que tu étais bien silencieuse cet été, je comprends mieux maintenant
    Bon écoute, je te souhaite beaucoup de bonnes choses dans ce nouveau post et te dis à très bientôt ici

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.....my goodness, I think I'd be willing to try an learn Latin for a job at that school. I'm so very happy for you, sounds like it's been a very long time coming. I look forward to hearing now your inspection went, A+'s I'm sure, or what ever the top grade is there. Hope to see you in my inbox by...I was going to say Thanksgiving, HHHHa, so hopefully long before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you all the best with your new position!I am sure you will do very well.You are talented and meticulous!Hugs.AriadnefromGreece (English teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! They are the lucky ones to get You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Magali congrats to you. This is what you have been waiting for and now your patience has paid off. I am really happy and I know you will do very well. What a beautiful place where you will be located to teach. I hope you are feeling some what better as you grieve Piano. I know you miss him so much. It is so hard when we lose our little fur babies. They take a part of our hearts. Good luck with the inspection next month. You will shine.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, very excited for you, know you will do great with your inspection, lovely scenery,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Je suis ravie pour toi...☺...tu vois que la patience est récompensée!
    Le trajet pour rejoindre ton poste se fait-il à pied ou en voiture?
    C'est l'année dernière que tu courais d'un poste à l'autre ou encore l'année d'avant?
    Enfin donc maintenant tous tes élèves sont au même endroit...��...
    Allez bisous ma belle, prends soin de toi et caresses aux griffus. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited for you, congrats!!! It is good to be settled in one position, wishing you the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!!! You worked hard as a teacher and I'm very happy for you. Take care,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is just splendid! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!! That is wonderful news and to only be about 20 mins away... that's even better. Best wishes on your new job. Let us know how you are getting on. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful news!!! Congratulations and good luck with the inspection. xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Félicitations pour cette nomination, Magali ! Votre investissement au profit des élèves a été reconnu par cette grande machine qu'est l'Administration... et au-delà de tout ce que vous leur apportez dans votre matière, vous savez également les encouragez dans d'autres disciplines ; il doit y avoir un bel esprit dans votre établissement : quel bonheur au travail !
    Que le meilleur vous accompagne pour l'inspection !
    bien cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete
  17. Te felicito por esta gran oportunidad Magali, te lo mereces y gracias por tener un tiempo para nosotros en tu ocupada vida gracias y que todo te resulte para bien amiga :)) Hasta la proxima !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Nelly. La inspección salió bien, pero la nueva directiva para la educación no es pedir demasiado a los niños y esa no es mi filosofía.

      Delete
  18. Bon courage pour cette inspection... mais pas de panique, tu fais un excellent boulot. Tes élèves sont là pour en témoigner !

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful turn of events! I do hope all goes smoothly and you enjoy the work! Will look forward to an update later on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! So happy for you! Sending good wishes for a good review! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Félicitations ! et Bravo pour ce nouveau poste. Devant la description du parcours journalier je me mets à rêver de la mer à la porte de la maison ..... La matière tu nous en parles aussi mais comme je suis très très curieuse : les élèves ??? A bientôt et encore bravo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, Magali - wonderful news, huge congratulations and more! I have always thought you must be a marvellous teacher; I'm glad someone else agrees with me! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the new job, Magali! Good luck with the inspection, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so happy for you to get a permanent position and I know that you will do fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on the position! Lots of good things for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Magali!!

    I’m sorry to hear of Piano’s passing. At the end of May we lost our cat thru liver disease and a week later our dog passed while having a seizure. We are so broken hearted to loose 2 beloved pets in a week. I understand what you’re going through.

    I’m happy to hear though that you have been working towards a Full Time teaching position, which is in your grasp. How exciting!!

    Have a great week!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  27. How did it all work out? Did the inspector stop by in the end? It is fascinating to me how different teaching is in France.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our Blue Tarpaulins are available as UV protected waterproof tarps and are made of durable thick material that is used to cover items completely from external sources like sunlight and weather conditions. These are excellent and safe tarpaulins for the desired location, and also come with brass eyelets placed 50cm each on all sides of the tarp. These sheets also forbid the surface of items to be damaged. These are used for camping and other outdoor activities because they can be used as a shelter during trekking and as a tent when hiking or wandering in the woods.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.