Sunday, September 08, 2013

Château de Bienassis

Are you ready to go visit a castle nearby the Little White House while I'm still studying my new curriculum? Please, be nice and don't tell me how much fun you have while I'm here at my desk!

Etes-vous prêt pour une nouvelle excursion non loin de mon petit cottage? Je vais vous laisser y aller seul, si ça ne vous dérange pas, parce que moi, j'ai encore beaucoup de travail sur mon programme de 5ème.

So here's where you're heading, about three quarter of an hour East of the Little White House.


Vous partez donc à trois quart d'heure à l'est du cottage, à Erquy, où se situe le château de Bienassis.


The very first castle of Bienassis (thus called because it meant "well located") was only a wood tower with one single level. It meant that the lord of the castle slept in the same room as his wife, but also as his children, his servants, his horses, his pigs... Not so romantic, is it?  Maybe we should remember that the next time we think our houses are too small!


Le tout premier château de Bienassis, ainsi nommé car il était bien situé, était une tour d'un étage en bois. Il n'y avait donc qu'une seule pièce où le seigneur dormait avec sa femme, bien sûr, mais aussi ses enfants, ses domestiques, ses chevaux et même ses cochons! Si vous imaginiez des scènes intimes et romantiques entre le Seigneur et sa Dame... Ce n'est pas encore pour cette époque!


During the 14th century, an other castle was built on the same location. The tour guide said it was then considered as the most beautiful Renaissance castle in Brittany. It was probably true in the 14th century, but just a century later, an other one won that title, I took you there in June, but if you missed that, you can visit it here.


Pendant le XIVème siècle, un château de type Renaissance fut construit sur ce même site. La guide affirme qu'il était alors considéré comme le plus beau château de Bretagne... Bon, peut-être à cette époque, mais au siècle suivant, je suis sure qu'il a été détrôné par un autre château que je vous ai déjà emmené voir. Si vous avez manqué cette visite, allez-y vite, c'est par ici!


The front stairs are divided by a little ship bow like stone terrace, which was probably my favourite part of the castle.


Il était interdit de prendre des photos à l'intérieur, donc les images de l'intérieur sont des scans de cartes postales... J'ai fait ce que j'ai pu pour vous emmener à l'intérieur, même si la qualité est très médiocre.

Taking pictures inside is forbidden, so I scanned some postcards so you could have a look inside, even if it's not of the best quality.


I don't know if you can imagine, but this magnificent castle was used as a prison during the French Revolution. The then owner of the castle loved horses. He went to England to buy some new horses and while he was away, his castle was taken and turned into a prison.


Au moment de la Révolution française, le propriétaire du château est un amoureux des chevaux. Il part en Angleterre pour se procurer de nouvelles bêtes et pendant son absence, le bâtiment est confisqué et transformé en prison!


During World War II, a German garrison settled there on the first and second floor and the owners of the castle lived in the third floor (the attic) as long as the war lasted.


Pendant la seconde Guerre Mondiale, une garnison allemande s'est installé au rez-de-chaussée et au premier étage. Les châtelains n'eurent d'autre choix que de vivre dans les combles.


Around the castle is a wonderful garden, but if you have a look at the grass, you can tell, we've had an unusually hot summer here... Brittany is known for its green gardens... Not so much this year!


There even were a few ripe figs as early as August... Unseen before in Brittany!

Et pour tous ceux qui refuseraient de croire que l'on a eu un été exceptionnel en Bretagne, regardez comme l'herbe est jaune et comme les figues sont en avance (la photo a été prise en août).

I hope you enjoyed the tour ! Don't forget to tip the guide!

J'espère que vous avez apprécié cette visite! N'oubliez pas le guide!

A bientôt,

See you soon,

I'm taking some amazing people with me on the tour:

http://travelphotodiscovery.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MG_2023-Edit.jpg                  Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home               
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia               French Country Cottage          Join me on Fridays and see where we've all been!            


37 comments:

  1. I love the history behind your home and country. I am afraid that I could only show you a mission built in the 1700s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an amazing tour. It is so beautiful there. The history behind it is very fascinating! Thanks for sharing such an incredible place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je ne connais pas encore Bienassis, bien que j'en ai si souvent entendu parler ! J'espère bien avoir le plaisir de le découvrir bientôt. Il a vraiment l'air intéressant. Bravo pour tes photos ! Tu deviens une vraie "pro".

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful castle! I'd love to visit. And how fun to have ripe figs. I just used figs in a recipe yesterday. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful castle and grounds....even if the grass is a bit dry! I love all the history surrounding you in your beautiful country! One day I will visit there...:) Have a blessed Sunday and my tip for you is to enjoy some time for yourself away from the desk...:) Have a blessed Sunday!

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go away from my desk for my usual Sunday flea-marketing! Thouggh I wasn't really lucky today.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the "not so far away" castle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing the history of these old castles! Nothing like that here really. Our country is still too young!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh la la, le passage vers le plan d'eau est une merveille.
    Tu te rends compte du nombre de pièces & de décision à prendre pour d'éventuels travaux???
    En tout cas c'est bien joli.
    Bon courage pour la préparation de tes cours.
    Bises. Babette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Ne me tente pas! J'avais déjà des idées en entrant dans chaque pièce!

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for this posting. It's like being on a tour and your information is wonderful I love seeing and touring homes, castles, etc. Whenever I am in a new city or country I try to see as much as possible, because I may never get back there again. I also love all the information that the guides give.
    Have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful tour around this castle and the history was also great to read, thanks for taking us on a this tour today, I enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This all looks like the stuff of fairy tales! How lucky you are to have seen them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tour, Magali! There were so many wonderful features in the architecture. Hope you got your reading done, while we were busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I've GOT to get to France....

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous castle and I can't believe it was used as a prison! I love those figs ripening and wanted to take them home with me. Thanks for the virtual tour--good luck with your studies!

    Amy | Club Narwhal

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved going on this castle tour with you. I've been to France, but not this area. Would love to go there someday. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tour! Thank you! I think this year is very hot everywhere! I hope it cools down soon because I feel like I am melting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures have finally cooled down this week, but I don't know if my lawn will survive this summer!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing the photos and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this virtual tour, Magali! I can't believe this beautiful chateau was once used as a prison. I'll have to keep reading your blog so that I can improve my French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your French is improving, though I'm afraid the blog won't teach you very intellectual words!!!

      Delete
  19. Great posting! Beautiful castle! Your post bring me enjoy the tour. Such as a real tour. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful tour - I can't imagine living so close to such history!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous tour. How lucky you are to live so close to such wonderful places. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful castle. I can't imagine going away to buy a horse and coming back to find out your home has been turned into a prison. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved the tour! I can only imagine how beautiful it is in real life. We had an extra hot summer here in UT also.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Magali, it was so fun taking this tour with you! How I wish I could just visit all of France, but this is the next best thing. Thanks for the tour my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Je connais le chemin côtier à Erquy mais pas le chateau, il est superbe !La Bretagne n'est pas faite pour la secheresse, dés qu'il reste quelques jours sans pluie, la végétation en souffre , heureusement ça reverdit vite!
    Bonne soirée . Tinou

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful castle, and I love the well kept gardens - hopefully you've had some of the rain we've been having here in the UK. After the very warm summer, I'm enjoying the rain for once, and so is my garden !

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was a fantastic virtual tour! The interiors are grand!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a charming castle! It has an interesting history, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful place and such great history! That's so crazy that it was turned into a prison while the owner was away. Thanks for sending me the link! I'm trying to pretend I'm there right now instead of in my cubicle at work!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.