Sunday, October 22, 2017

Château de Tronjoly, Cléder, Brittany

Wandering Around Cottage - October 2017 edition


I haven't written a lot lately, but I'm not forgetting my readers or my blog, I've just been over busy with work. Not that I'm complaining. I'm quite happy with my pupils this year, but the latin classes take me an awfully long time to prepare.

Je n'ai pas beaucoup écrit ces derniers temps. Ce n'est pas que j'oublie mes lecteurs ou mon blog, mais la préparation des cours de latin est très chronophage. Je ne me plains pas, mes élèves sont volontaires cette année et c'est agréable.

 
Therefore the amount of beautifying I've done to Cottage since my last post is framing one side of the upstairs doors with architraves... There are four doors, so eight sides... only seven to go! We're nearly there ;)

 Mais, par conséquent, les progrès de la rénovation de Cottage se limitent, depuis mon dernier article, à la pose de baguettes d'entourage de porte sur un seul côté d'une seule porte de l'étage... Il y a quatre portes, donc huit côtés, allez, plus que sept, j'y suis presque !

I didn't think one side of yet unpainted architrave would make you drool on your keyboard, so I decided to take you with me to a really dreamy place, the castle of Tronjoly, which is located in a small village on the Northern coast of Brittany.

Je me suis bien dit que des moulures même pas encore peintes n'allaient pas vous enthousiasmer... Du coup, je vous emmène dans un endroit beaucoup plus joli : le château de Tronjoly, situé non loin de la côte nord de la Bretagne.


The building of this castle began in 1534, but as with all castles (and homes) it was transformed with each generation living there. The main building has all its windows facing south as it was usual then (Cottage is also built that way, though it has a lot less windows). Weirdly enough, the east building was built first, then the main "manoir" and finally the west building was added.  The south side (which the windows overlook) is enclosed with a "patio" on which a chapel is built.


La construction du château a commencé en 1534, même si comme toujours, il a ensuite été modifié par les gens qui y vivaient. Le bâtiment principal est tourné vers le sud, ce qui était habituel (Cottage est construit de la même façon, avec beaucoup moins de fenêtres tout de même). Mais c'est apparemment l'aile est qui a été construite en premier. L'aile ouest a été rajoutée par la suite. Le côté sud (sur lequel donne toutes les fenêtres si vous suivez) est fermé par une terrasse sur laquelle se situe une chapelle. 


This "patio" is the only area opened to the public. This castle is still inhabited and the day I stopped by, there was a man (Knight Tronjoly?) sunbathing in front of the main building. For privacy reasons, I tried not to have him appear on the pictures.

La terrasse est le seul endroit d'où l'on peut voir ce château qui est une propriété privée. Il y avait d'ailleurs un homme (Chevalier Tronjoly ?) en train de bronzer dans la cour. Pour protéger l'intimité de ce grand chevalier, j'ai essayé de ne pas le faire apparaître sur les photos.


During the French revolution, the family living there was, of course, royalist. Their son went first into exile and then was part of the royalist army coming back to France to fight. He was one of those who arrived in France at Carnac, Brittany. The following days, many people were killed or captured. This is a pretty famous part of the history of Brittany is really bloody. But by some miracle, their son escaped safe and sound. I couldn't find o the Internet how he managed to do that. 


Pendant la Révolution française, la famille se range, oh surprise, du côté des royalistes. Leur fils part même de France pour revenir avec l'expédition royaliste qui débarque à Carnac. Ce passage assez célèbre de l'histoire bretonne est sanglant à souhait. De très nombreux royalistes sont tués, faits prisonniers ou exécutés. Mais, par miracle, le fils des propriétaires de Tronjoly s'en sort. Je n'ai pas réussi à trouver de quelle manière.


Now, you know, the castle world is a very small world, because while reading about Tronjoly, I found out that a century before the castle you can see on my pictures, there was an other, older castle that was the property of Jean de Kergoët and Jeanne de Kergournadeac'h. Doesn't that last name seem familiar? Yes, I showed you her home, the castle of Kergournadeac'h, last month. If you missed that post, you can find it here.


Savez-vous que le monde des châteaux est en fait tout petit ? En effet, quand je faisais mes petites recherches sur Tronjoly, j'ai découvert qu'avant les bâtiments que vous pouvez voir sur mes photos, il y avait un autre château plus ancien. Il était la propriété de Jean de Kergoët et de Jeanne de Kergournadeac'h. Ce nom imprononçable vous rappelle peut-être quelque chose... Je vous ai montré le château de cette famille le mois précédent. Si vous avez manqué cet article, vous pouvez le retrouver ici.


See you next time,

A la prochaine fois,

Hasta la proxima,



PS : If you're a reader from California, I hope  you, yours and your home are safe.

28 comments:

  1. Love all that stone and rusty metal on the picture with the gate at the end. That's quite a building too. I like how you weave all the historical facts throughout your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally in love with that little gate that seemed a little out of place with the big castle.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for taking me along on your trip. I am afraid that is the only way I will see any of France is through your travels.

    So glad that you are liking your new school year.

    Regards to Cottage, hope he is happy.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What history you have! I've never seen a castle in real life.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that "patio".. a castle is still inhabited.. that's very fascinating.. hope your workload is little better..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many inhabited castles around here, but few are visible. I think it's really nice that we can admire this one.

      Delete
  5. As a teacher, I understand your prep workload. It can be tough! I always appreciate your views of our world. So different than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fairytale magic in the architecture, in the gardens, and in the invisible history of such a place. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Good to see you dear Magali!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting that the gabled windows have different roof types and they're not distracting. I always feel I must make one design decision and carry it out on all areas. Apparently not. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little like you, trying to create harmony in my design, but it was quite common in the area to have, in small castles, one window more ornate than the others.

      Delete
  8. HI....what a Wonderful castle..an to think it's still alive..i can't imagine what it must be like keeping that place warm in the dead of winter..brrrrrrr..an that was nice of you not to share that man in your post..the grounds look beautiful..also looking forward to seeing those doors..maybe in august ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful castle and it looks like you had a perfect day to visit it. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at a little tour of a castle...beautiful...dreaming about what it looks like on the inside. The metal gate is so precious. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ce château breton me fait rêver... n'y aurait-il pas une bonne histoire à raconter ? Profite bien de tes vacances ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Magali,
    I am always so grateful that you take us on these sweet trips with you. You are so blessed to live near so much beauty and history. To visit these beautiful places is amazing. Thank you for sharing these wonderful places with us.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that sweet little castle.

    Thanks for the California shout out. My 93 year old aunt is safely back in her Santa Rosa home, but unfortunately the neighborhoods surrounding her are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. agréable découverte que ce manoir de Tronjoly !!
    j'adore la photo de la petite tour et ses hortensias et celle de l'hortensia qui s'échappe par la clôture alors que le portillon est ouvert...
    le plafond de la chapelle est-il en bois ?
    bonnes vacances - monique59

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful place with so much history! Lovely to see the intricate details and all surrounded by the pretty hydrangeas. Wonderful photos. Happy October - soon to leave us with lovely memories. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magali que facinante la historia y hermosas las fotos como siempre quedo encantada gracias porque me haces viajar con mi mente . Hasta la proxima mi amiga :)
    nelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. A dreamy castle for sure! Thank you for the field trip to such a spectacular and historical treasure. The flowers are beautiful, too. Glad you are enjoying your students!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The castle is so lovely. But I think I would rather live in a little white house on the seaside!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The gate is perfect for your home! I love my armchair history travels:). Thank you,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I could have a small gate, but for personnal reasons, I chose a tall wooden gate.

      Delete
  20. Oh, love the look of that; I can almost smell the sun warming the old stone...

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.