Saturday, December 06, 2014

At Hand, In The Plate Rack

Adding Warm Wood Accents In A White Kitchen - 3


In my little fisherman's cottage, the kitchen was redone step by step this year. But there's one item in that kitchen that I've had for four years and that I kept.

Dans ma petite maison de pêcheur, la cuisine a été refaite, étape par étape, cette année. Mais il y a un élément que j'avais depuis quatre ans et que j'ai gardé.


I found it in the very first empty-your-attic sale I went to after I met Cottage. I immediately knew Cottage and Plate rack were meant to be friends.

J'avais trouvé ce vaisselier dans le premier vide-grenier fait après avoir rencontré Cottage. J'ai tout de suite su qu'ils étaient faits pour s'entendre.


I hung the plate rack on the kitchen wall even before it was redone. But, boy, am I happy I got rid of that weirdly painted orange wall and of the drywall ceiling!

J'avais déjà fixé le vaisselier sur le mur de la cuisine avant de la rénover. Mais, oh, que je suis contente de m'être débarrassée de  ce mur orange à la texture "truelle à colle de carrelage"!

I had a feeling the plate rack could add charm to Cottage's kitchen once it was redone.

It's now hanging on the same wall it did before... It's just looking a little different!

Le voilà, aujourd'hui, sur le même mur... Juste plus lisse et moins orange!


And full reveal...


I keep my everyday dishes there and it's so convenient to be able to grab a plate when I just finished cooking. That is when I have the time to cook... Not something that happened this week!


 J'y range ma vaisselle de tous le jours. C'est bien pratique de pouvoir attraper rapidement une assiette après avoir cuisiné... Ce n'est pas vraiment une activité que j'ai eu le temps de faire cette semaine, d'ailleurs!


I like when kitchens have a collected look and the fact that this piece is different than the rest of the kitchen adds to its charm, I think.


J'aime beaucoup les cuisines dépareillées et ajouter cette étagère au-dessus du plan de travail plutôt que des éléments assortis à ceux du bas apporte un certain charme.


Of course, it was also a lot cheaper than any kitchen cabinet the designer offered.

C'était aussi bien moins cher que les éléments du cuisiniste.

So, do you think it warms up the kitchen? And what should I do with the wall to the right of the window - here photographed the day the kitchen designer was done - ?


Alors, pensez-vous que cette petite étagère en bois réchauffe la pièce? Et que faire du mur à droite de ma fenêtre - photographie prise le jour où le poseur avait fini - ?

See you soon,

A bientôt,


PS: I'm sharing with:

 Party Every Monday Night               http://www.thoughtsfromalice.com/2014/12/20-creative-ideas-for-christmas-sundays.html               Dwellings-the Heart of You Home

Linky Party               A Return to Loveliness Christmas                  

39 comments:

  1. E.N.V.I.O.U.S. I need to build one. STAT.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely.
    Maybe put one of those pretty padded note boards in that space. Or consult with Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just beautiful! And the soft sea color of your walls is so calming. Well worth the long renovation process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plate rack and you were right...it does add charm to your kitchen.The wood tone warms up the space. Something similar would look nice beside the window, or perhaps a chalkboard. I look forward to seeing what you choose for the space. Have a wonderful and restful weekend.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your plate rack. What about hanging a baguette basket on the other side of the stove hood? I think it would look more balanced.

    Open shelving beside the window for spices or to display treasures?

    I'm sure whatever you choose will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found what I want on the other side of the hood. Well, I had found something and then I thought it was too busy... I'm still looking for something I'll fall in love with!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Always wanted one. I agree with what Sue Silva suggested too. So cozy! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your plate rack and it looks good. What about open shelving? Better check with Cottage -
    have a great restful weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your kitchen! Maybe some short shelves in that spot?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Magali.
    How have you been ? The kitchen turned out AMAZING !!!
    Love from Izabella.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful,,,I think a chalkboard would look great in that space and would really finish that area off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love your kitchen and the wooden tones do warm the room. I think a nice picture, mirror or chalk board would look nice in that space. You have done a magnificent job designing and decorating your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ta petite étagère est adorable et à côté du blanc des éléments, c'est vraiment joli. J'admire le rangement impeccable de ta cuisine... La petite cocotte "Le Creuset" et la casserole en cuivre font très bien dans le décor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was meant to be, Magali. I love plate racks and I love warm wood accents in a white kitchen. I like all of the ideas mentioned for the wall next to the window - shelves, baskets, a chalkboard - I think they would all look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Magali, tout d'abord, êtes-vous anglaise? Française? N'importe...mais je suis si enchantée de vous lire dans les deux langues et regarder votre petite maison si raffinée et toute blanche!!!!! Merci mille fois d'être venue me lire et de m'avoir laissée un petit mot. Je vous souhaite un bon dimanche dans votre maisonette de rêves au bord de la mer. BISES! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the plate rack, perfect touch of wood...as is the lamp base also. For the empty space, perhaps Cottage would like an small, old picture of the sea. You have worked so well with Cottage, I think he might appreciate your thoughtfulness. Love how the kitchen has come together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on rewarding Cottage with beautiful pictures... But we both agreed they'd look great on the dining-room wall that feels a little empty since I can't put any furniture there!

      Delete
  16. I love your plate rack, but than I love all that you have done. Just take your time and the right thing will appear for that wall. Maybe a picture of the cottage....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I turns out I already had what I needed for that wall, I had only forgotten about it!

      Delete
  17. The plate rack adds a lot of character as well as warmth to the room. I would hang some shelves next to the window. Perhaps some repurposed wine crates like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super joli ce pan de mur fini avec ce vaisselier qui ressort merveilleusement bien. C'est super.
    Je suppose que si tu avais eu besoin de rangement supplémentaire, ton cuisiniste aurait fait un meuble de plus. Il s'agira donc de déco & là, à toi de voir ce dont tu auras envie. C'est une arrivée d'électricité que je vois? Ça te donne de jolies possibilités.
    Bisous bisous ma Belle & bonne semaine. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  19. Magali, You really have an eye for decorating, the warmth of the wood plate rack is the perfect “something!” I love how it looks and between you and cottage, you will know what to do with the empty space. Beautiful reveal, I think you are on a roll. Now you can hang your shingle and start your own decorating business...............

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so agree with you about the "collected" look. That's what gives any room character, but especially in a kitchen. Love it, Magali. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for a picture or painting of the sea such as this...

    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ALEXANDRE-DESGOFFE-FRENCH-VIEW-SEA-NORMANDY-OLD-ART-PAINTING-POSTER-BB4792A-/151107067378

    or this...

    https://www.auktionshaus-stahl.de/catalogue-archiv.php?detail=74673&katalog=2

    Sally A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping this idea for the dining-room and I've been snapping pictures of the sea with the idea to make something with them! Thanks for the links!

      Delete
  22. How about some art? I just hung a picture of three cows above my stove and I love it. I can't wait to see what you have in mind.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping the idea of art for the dining-room that is opened to the kitchen!

      Delete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I removed my comment by mistake!! I'll try this again later, ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. AMAZING! It looks like you had that custom made for Cottage! Cottage owes you big time Magali. I can hardly wait to see what wonderful idea you come up with for the other wall.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not going to answer that last question but not because I've seen the newer post but because I have a beautiful picture in my mind that I must have seen somewhere, sometime - maybe in a dream !
    I also love the 'collected' look of your kitchen, and I really really love the way the tongue and groove comes up and slightly around the wooden unit - it's those little perfect details that really make your kitchen special.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great piece! I think you were right to reinstall it. Looks awesome in your kitchen. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Magali I wanted to thank you for the sweet comment on Annes blog on the feature of my blog Little Brags this Sunday!!! I follow you through Bloglovin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A plate rack is what I missed adding when I renovated my kitchen, and I adore yours and how it stands out but still blends in with your style!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, it looks lovely! It really makes your cabinet knobs pop!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the plate rack, definitely adds that cottagey charm. What about a fabric covered pin board? I have one and find it really useful in the kitchen. I think you could easily make one from an old window frame.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ce vaisselier est superbe ! avec la porcelaine blanche il apporte la parfait harmonie dans cuisine de Cottage : blanc et bois, c'est doux, c'est clair, c'est naturel ! bravo - cordialement - monique59

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.