Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Beauty Of The Dark

Cottage Flooring Ideas - part 4


Now that you've all drooled on your keyboards watching pictures of beautiful hardwood floors and dreamy terracotta floors, I thought you were ready to go out of your comfort zone. 

Via Homeklondike
Maintenant que nous avons admiré les deux revêtements traditionnels  que sont le parquet et la terre cuite, que diriez-vous de sortir un peu de cette zone de confort pour aller jeter un coup d'oeil sur un revêtement qui allie tradition et modernité?

via House to Home
You may remember from a series on houses in Brittany, that little peninsule where I live in France, that slate roofs are traditional there.

Via House to Home
Peut-être vous souvenez-vous de mes articles sur les maisons bretonnes? Eh bien, l'ardoise ne se pose pas que sur les toits! C'est magnifique au sol aussi, comme le montre ces photos, "chinées" sur Internet.

via Beautiful Homes of England
Well, slate is not only for roofs, it can also be used for flooring. And my, does it look beautiful.

It's gorgeous with a white kitchen obviously, but it could go in any room.

via House to Home
C'est magnifique dans une cuisine ou une salle de bain à dominante blanche.

C'est à la fois moderne si tous les carreaux sont identiques et cela peut donner un côté cosy, justement parce que c'est sombre.

via House to Home (I know, I've already said it!)
It can look very modern but also really cosy. I adore when there's a mix of all its natural colours.

Via Mission Stone Tile

Have you seen enough really beautiful cottages? Time to check on what's happening in mine, then!

Via my very own nightmarish kitchen
This is where the sink will be one day. Please notice that the plate, which is there because an unfinished pipe is leaking, is an old Sarreguemines plate... A girl has to put beauty somewhere!

Voici l'avancée des travaux côté cuisine chez moi... L'isolation avance à l'endroit de ce qui sera l'emplacement de l'évier un jour ou l'autre (plutôt l'autre, apparemment!). Remarquez tout de même que c'est une vieille assiette Sarreguemines qui récolte la goutte d'eau qui tombe toujours régulièrement d'un tuyau encore inachevé. La classe au milieu du chantier, n'est ce pas?

For those of you who are very impatient, I didn't choose slate for my cottage for the same reason I didn't choose terracotta... Can you think of the reason? - Susan and Mom, don't tell anyone please, even if they bribe you, except if that's enough to pay for the kitchen!

Just because I couldn't not include that one - via Country Homes & Interiors
Bon, pour ceux qui ne supportent plus le suspens, sachez que je n'ai pas choisi l'ardoise pour mon cottage, pour la même raison qui m'a poussée à éliminer la terre cuite. Alors, une idée???

Come back for the next episode... I promise to be nice next time!

See you soon,

A bientôt,

PS: For those of you who didn't know the title of the post is not mine, it's from a song I love to listen to, especially when writing, so in case you want to check it, here it is.




I'm sharing with:

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home                    My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia                   
                                          

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure whatever you chose is beautiful! I really looking forward to finding out what material it is!

    I have slate in my bathroom. I like it, but it is porous, so I sealed it.

    I am still guessing cement/concrete because you had to put in a new foundation, and if one has to do that, it would save money, at least around here. Stained cement/concrete looks like stone.

    Ceramic tile is pretty too!

    The suspense!!! Have a great day!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauvre assiette en Sarreguemines ! Mais bon, c'est effectivement la classe !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lips are sealed - cross my heart!!! ( I can't vouch for your Mother though - is she as trustworthy as I ? )
    Again beautiful photos Magali
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Magali, I'm here, waiting and waiting. Wonderful post!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. J'ai bien cru aujourd'hui que j'allais savoir ce qui était sur ton sol , et bien non , comme en plus tu aimes beaucoup de matériaux différents , je crois qu'encore une fois tu as noyé le poisson , décidément non , je ne sais pas ce que a choisi . Hi hi hi !!!
    J'aime ce suspens , c'est un régal .
    Bises . Babette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suspense is right!
    Slate is lovely, but porous and can be slippery too.
    Well, how about what we used to call Lino? Or Vinolay, or something??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! So England doesn't have a monopoly on Agas. If they weren't so expensive, I'd try to fit one into our house that already has a wood burning stove in the living room, an electric kitchen range, and an old Home Comfort wood burning cookstove in the kitchen. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can't wait to see what you chose! You have eliminated so many options. I have tried and tried to figure it out.....hmmm, maybe cork or concrete? I guess we'll find out next time...:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Limestone? Slate is too dark and terra cotta is too orange for you?

    Whatever you choose will be beautiful and I can't wait to see it. I'm betting you're a bit anxious, too...;)

    Happy renovating,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really am pretty sure you will choose the best and I can't wait to see it! We're planning and shopping around for a master bath total renovation and I am getting a little nervous about the starting with the the mess! Thanks for sharing and for your lovely comment. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are such a tease. I love slate, but don't have any of it. I'm thinking it won't work because of moisture? Just a crazy guess. lol! I posted a sneak peek of my basement today. Check out my flooring.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.