Friday, May 24, 2013

Tile After Tile

Cottage Flooring Ideas - Part 6


I know some of you can't sleep anymore because they are wondering what I choose for my cottage floor. So here's the final reveal.

Mon petit doigt m'a dit que certaines ne peuvent plus dormir tant elles se posent de questions sur mon sol. J'ai pitié de vous et voilà donc les photos.


I knew I wanted a light stone floor for my cottage. I thought it would be lovely in a house that only has small windows as is typical in a fisherman's cotttage. But it proved to be too expensive. 

Je savais que je voulais de la pierre claire pour renvoyer la lumière ne venant que de petites fenêtres typiques des maisons de pêcheur. Mais c'était trop cher pour moi.


So I spent months trying to find the tile that would replicate what I had in mind. It took so long my parents joked it was as long as a pregnancy.

J'ai donc passé des mois à chercher un carrelage qui soit une imitation qui me convienne. Cela a pris tant de temps que mes parents disaient que c'était aussi long qu'une grossesse.


Some cheap imitations just have all their tiles the same and it just shows immediately they are fake. 

Les imitations les moins chères n'ont qu'un seul carreau dans lequel il y a systématiquement le même défaut au même endroit... Dès qu'on en voit plusieurs en même temps, on ne voit plus que ça!


I finally found some that had enough different tiles to look like I wanted them to look.


J'ai donc cherché un carrelage dont les carreaux soient fabriqués avec un maximum de moules différents.

I must say I'm very happy with my choice. The variation in the shades of the tiles is perfect to hide dirty paws and I like the idea of a fairly neutral floor that'll allow me to do whatever I want with the walls.

Je suis ravie de ce choix. L'irrégularité du coloris fait merveille pour cacher les pattes sales des (rares) jours de pluie. C'est assez neutre pour me laisser toute liberté de faire ce que je veux avec les murs.


The best compliment I have had yet about this floor? It came from my Dad who said : "It doesn't look new". (I'm not sure he meant it as a compliment!)


Le plus beau compliment que j'ai reçu sur ce carrelage? Il est venu de mon Papa qui m'a dit: "On ne dirait pas qu'il est neuf, ce carrelage!" Je ne suis pas sûr qu'il pensait que c'était un compliment.

I have a "wow" moment every time I step into the cottage now!

What do you think?

Alors qu'en pensez-vous?

See you soon for news of the next phase of the renovation going on...

A bientôt avec des nouvelles de la nouvelle phase de rénovation (est-ce que vous n'entendez pas de là où vous êtes le bruit des perceuses et des coups de marteaux?)

I'm showing off (just a little) at:

          My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia                            

Rooted In Thyme          Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home               The Dedicated House

23 comments:

  1. Hi Magali, I've got something similar in my kitchen walls, very easy to clean in the walls and a very hard material.
    When we finished the kitchen my husband wanted to use the rest of tiles in the floor of one of our baths, very pretty but not so easy to clean in the floor.

    Hugs
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it gave me a WOW moment when I first saw the photos - it looks beautiful Magali
    ( I had almost identical in my last house - in the kitchen )
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of it but maybe that's why I haven't been sleeping after all - going to try now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks perfect, so light.Cottages need lots of light and you have achieved that. Bien fait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A super choice. We had the exact shade in our bathrooms when we lived in California. They hide every hair that hit the floor! It looks so clean and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youpi , je crois bien que j'avais raison , c'étaient bien les carreaux que j'avais remarqué dans ton billet du 16 Mai !!!
    En tout cas , ils sont superbes . Tu m'as fait rire avec la remarque de ton papa .
    Il y a 30ans lorsque nous avons construit notre maison & que je faisais les finitions , nous avions acheté les portes d'intérieur neuve & pour leur donner un air ancien , je leur faisais des petits trous comme si c'étaient des termites & je tapais le bois avec une vieille grosse clef pour simuler les coups du temps & mon papa m"a dit :"pourquoi as-tu pris des portes neuves si c'était pour en faire des vieilleries ???"
    Bises . Babette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nos papas ne comprennent pas toujours ce que l'on a en tête, mais le mien trouve toujours que j'ai fait les bons choix... après! Sur le coup, quand je lui dis ce que je veux, il est toujours dubitatif. Cela est encore arrivé le weekend dernier quand j'ai changé tous les meubles de ma chambre de place!

      Delete
  7. great choice! nice and neutral and looks a lot like stone :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oui, il est superbe ton carrelage et on ne dirait pas qu'il est neuf !!!! J'espère que tu vas le retrouver tel qu'il était avant tes monstrueux nouveaux travaux.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The floor looks great, indeed, I think that your father payed you a compliment! I once helped some friends to redecorate and we also chased an affordable tile which looked like granite through all the warehouses in our region, so I completely understand the feeling :)
    PS: are those paint color samples that I spy on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful tile flooring, Magali--I love how it looks and works in your home! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful.

    If it looked new, it wouldn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic!!! I think we may have used the very same tile in our bathroom. And you know I love tile laid with a running bond. It looks amazing. ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Renovation is long and hard....but your floors are wonderful! I'm looking into tile that is supposed to look like wood for our new house. I think your patience and dilligence to get it right really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it and agree with your dad, it doesn't look new. Looks like it has been there a few years which is perfect for your little cottage! So glad you finally revealed it to us.....:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT choice, looks beautiful! A wonderful compliment that it doesn't look new!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amazing Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    http://www.dwellings-theheartofyourhome.com/2013/05/amaze-me-monday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a beautiful floor. Great compliment from your Dad. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Congrats on making the BEST choice; it shows! I love the fact that it looks authentically old, just enough of shabbiness, but more chic! It's EXACTLY what I wanted for my floors: little indentations, sandy grout colour, beige-y, caramel shades and brick pattern - but, it couldn't find it here! So happy for you!:)

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! I think the tiles look perfect with the room. And so easy to clean!
    I'm visiting you today from Tuesday Treasures. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful (congratulations on the 'baby'!!) This looks wonderful and your dad is right, it doesn't look new which adds to its charm. Can't wait to see more of the renovations. Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just lovely! You are one of the fan favorites tomorrow at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think they look fantastic! I would totally take what your dad said as a compliment whether he meant it that way or not. The look doesn't take away from the charm of your home but adds to it. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.